Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 9:49 PM
Default Job related consequences - accidents, injury, and/ or death
'm lookin to incorporate job related consequences into play and was wonderin what others do for this, if anything.

Of course the consequence all depends on the level or degree of danger. For example Law Enforcement, Military, Adventurer, and Criminal, at least imo, all have a high level of danger. Whereas Artist, Culinary, Education, and Entertainment all have a relatively low level of danger.

I think what I'm goin to do is assign each job a danger level and then at the beginning (or end) of that houses rotation turn I'll roll a die to decide what happens. The options are that nothing happens, they've been injured and must stay home for (roll of die) days, perm disabled, or death. Of course the lower the danger level the less chance of anything happening.

Any other ideas?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 10:04 PM
Perhaps think of the element you could incorporate from the negative outcomes of chance cards? I mean like rpg/playstyle limitations/quirks added.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 10:18 PM
I don't know if this helps, but in my former 'hood, Circadian Springs, I used to have whole-hood random events and one of them was a period of war, in which all the sims employed in the military career must be moved away from their lots (going to war) and sent to an "hidden" lot with Inge Jones prisioner tag (so they don't appear on the other lots). After a few rotations, when they are supossed to be back in the 'hood, an outcome had to be rolled for each sim: death, injury, trauma (red aspiration for some time) or nothing serious.

I never had the opportunity to try/test this event when I played Circadian Springs (has they are random and I never got that one), but this is how I wrote it. Maybe something similar can be applied to the law enforcement and criminal careers.
Theorist
#4 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 10:19 PM
I'm doing it like this:

In the dangerous careers (Military, Crime, Law Enforcement, Adventure, Intelligence and some custom careers I have) a Sim getting fired by failing a chance card means they were killed while on the job.

I don't really have anything beyond that.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Undead Molten Llama
#5 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 10:46 PM
I sometimes do that. In the "risky" careers, there's an increased risk of injury/death with increasing job level. Or sometimes a decreasing risk with job level (Military and Law Enforcement are like that. "Grunts" tend to get hurt/killed more than officers in a combat situations.) Or sometimes there's a curve so that the most risk is mid-career. It depends on the career. I just set percentage chances per career level and then use a random number generator every work day to determine if and how they'll be affected. Usually doing that is just too much "bookkeeping," though, so I don't do it.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 11:33 PM
Never thought about this, but what a fun element to try and add! Good inspiration. Thanks for the topic and comments. I'll have to look through my careers and see how to try and incorporate this. I wonder if "come home sick" can be added to chance cards.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 3:51 PM
I have a dice roll system in my neighbourhood to add additional drama.

I roll a D4 to determine how many things will happen, then a D6 to determine which things will happen - 1. Relationship drama; 2. Health drama; 3. Family/Friends drama; 4. Money drama; 5. Town drama; 6. My choice.

For Health drama, I roll a D10 - 1. Terminal Illness; 2. Miscarriage/Death in childbirth; 3. Infertility; 4. Allergic reaction; 5. Food Poisoning; 6. Workplace Accident; 7. Car accident; 8. Fire; 9. Miracle healing; 10. Extended life.

If you want to see what I roll for these options and what could happen next, click the spoiler below

I use the Sim blender -Skill limiter to freeze skill points so that injured sims cannot earn anymore points in certain skills. I've also recently found a plant from simlogical which allows me to keep setting comfort or energy to medium so that a Sim is never really comfortable.

I like how it adds more serious consequences in my game for bad things happening and increases the chance that I will have sims die before they reach the end of their elder years (I otherwise take really good care of my sims, so it's rare for an accident to happen)
Forum Resident
#8 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 8:04 PM
Hmm, I do play these, but I feel like I need to give a bit of background first.

My style is wants-based, but I also limit the amount of happy-making objects and activities my sims get to do by income level, and the realistic likelihood of accessibility. Basically, a poor sim living in the desert is only going to get to play marco-polo at the public pool, and he can only go to the public pool when he's not at work. He'll never get to go fishing, because where would there be a fishing pond in his Route 66-esq town? Etc. Etc. Objects work the same: unless they're in the artist career, they're not just going to have an easel at home - they'd have to go to the local paint and sip - IF they live in the kind of town where there would be one.

So - on to the illnesses, injury and death. (I have a super long post - please feel free to tl:dr).

Because I limit the activities and options they have depending on where they live and socio-economic status, I find that some sims are happier than others. Some suffer from perpetually low aspiration (if you're a doctor in a new hood, you're not going to get to achieve your LTW of becoming a Ballerina. We need the doctor more.). Perpetual low aspiration is a disorder in my hoods, that can be prescribed mood-boosting medicines. Diagnosis is usually in childhood, since toddlers typically hit red aspiration at least once the way I play. I only take it seriously when they grow up badly. Sometimes that triggers Aspirational Failure Disorder and then they'll need medicine to treat it. Other illnesses include perpetually low fun (Amusement Deficiency), perpetually low energy/comfort (which requires the use of a wheel chair. These sims energy and comfort bars never rise more than halfway), and perpetually low hunger, which is more common in teen sims who are struggling with a lot of different societal pressures.

Injuries are a little easier to diagnose during gameplay. Adults who have accidents - get fried by the tv/garbage disposal etc, can receive injures that require CAS casts, or bandaids. Kids who play on the playtowers ad-nauseum, will eventually get a dice roll to see whether they slip off and break something (otherwise that loop drives me nuts.)

Any sim of any age who goes hiking or jogging may come back injured. I want to mod in a chance card for those activities that's like "So-and-so slipped! They've broken an arm/leg/ankle/wrist etc" since that's how I use them, but with a dice roll while they're doing the activity. Same with the awesome surfing mod, and the diving board. Sims who fall of the treadmill or dance sphere get casts because quite frankly, if I fell off either of those like that I'd break something lol.

Sims in dangerous or physical professions - Athlete, Military, Dancer, Adventurer etc. can come back injured, and sometimes the chance cards clue in to that. Again, as soon as I find out how to mod in chance cards for these things I'll make ones for injuries so that I don't have to keep thinking about it while playing lol. Otherwise it's a dice roll, or context clues from existing chance cards. There's one in the Athletic track where it's like '[Your Sim] sprained his back' and you lose a body skill point. That's what I'd look for and then add a brace and have that sim spend a little more time lying down.

Edit: I forgot to add the bit about driving! Sims who drive will occasionally get a dice roll to decide whether they have an accident. It could be a fenderbender where no one is injured, by my sim has to pay the last sim they met for repairs. It could be a proper accident though, where one or both of the sims are injured.

Random question: why do you drop the 'g's in your posts Calibrat? I've been wondering about that for a while now...
Alchemist
#9 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 8:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by terula8
Sims in dangerous or physical professions - Athlete, Military, Dancer, Adventurer etc. can come back injured, and sometimes the chance cards clue in to that. Again, as soon as I find out how to mod in chance cards for these things I'll make ones for injuries so that I don't have to keep thinking about it while playing lol.

Do you just mean editing the text of the chance cards? I do that a lot to guide my story. Or do you mean adding a mod that would actually have some effect on the sim?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 8:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Coriel_Muroz
I have a dice roll system in my neighbourhood to add additional drama.

I roll a D4 to determine how many things will happen, then a D6 to determine which things will happen - 1. Relationship drama; 2. Health drama; 3. Family/Friends drama; 4. Money drama; 5. Town drama; 6. My choice.

For Health drama, I roll a D10 - 1. Terminal Illness; 2. Miscarriage/Death in childbirth; 3. Infertility; 4. Allergic reaction; 5. Food Poisoning; 6. Workplace Accident; 7. Car accident; 8. Fire; 9. Miracle healing; 10. Extended life.

If you want to see what I roll for these options and what could happen next, click the spoiler below

I use the Sim blender -Skill limiter to freeze skill points so that injured sims cannot earn anymore points in certain skills. I've also recently found a plant from simlogical which allows me to keep setting comfort or energy to medium so that a Sim is never really comfortable.

I like how it adds more serious consequences in my game for bad things happening and increases the chance that I will have sims die before they reach the end of their elder years (I otherwise take really good care of my sims, so it's rare for an accident to happen)

This is so cool!
Forum Resident
#11 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Do you just mean editing the text of the chance cards? I do that a lot to guide my story. Or do you mean adding a mod that would actually have some effect on the sim?

Just the text of the chance cards! I like to decide what effects for the sim myself

I want to actually add chance cards to existing careers - that would be AWESOME!
Alchemist
#12 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 9:20 PM
Just the text of the chance cards! I like to decide what effects for the sim myself

I want to actually add chance cards to existing careers - that would be AWESOME!

Oh, I do that a lot! For one thing, they just aren't very well-written, but I rewrite them sometimes for particular stories. It's fun. There are some other tutorials for doing it manually, but it's easiest to use Bidou's Career Editor in SimPE. I think there's tons of storytelling potential there.
Theorist
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 9:43 PM
Random question: why do you drop the 'g's in your posts Calibrat? I've been wondering about that for a while now...

lol ... I generally type in the same way as I speak.. or am thinkin since I don't speak aloud when typin. I lived in Texas for 16 years and though I don't have a Texas drawl or accent I did pick the bad habit of not pronoucin the 'g's in ing ending words.

I can and am a good typist, but when it comes to everyday stuff I tend to go with my norm. :P
Scholar
#14 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 11:54 PM
I don't have a danger of death or injury from my Sims' jobs, but in the Criminal career, any level about 4 carries a daily risk of being sent to prison with a sentence commensurate with the level of crime the Sim is indicated as being involved with at that level. (I assume that the fines at levels 1-4 are averaged out and taken out of the Sims' salary at source).
Forum Resident
#15 Old 12th Mar 2019 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Oh, I do that a lot! For one thing, they just aren't very well-written, but I rewrite them sometimes for particular stories. It's fun. There are some other tutorials for doing it manually, but it's easiest to use Bidou's Career Editor in SimPE. I think there's tons of storytelling potential there.

Thank you Sunrader! You're a star - I'm so excited!!! I wasn't sure if it was possible to do it, but I'm going to go through them all now and write in some chance cards for accident and injury!
Alchemist
#16 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 7:37 PM
thread title; "accidents" might be considered redundant with the other terms.

no injuries in my game at all.
only deaths in my game have been on-screen. never had any mods for off-screen/at-job deaths.