Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Apr 2011 at 8:21 PM
Default world without roads?
Hi,

I was thinking of building a car free world. Mostly to avoid those wide streets and to get a little and calm village.
Now I am wondering if this will work or if there are any parts of the game that work only with cars. The sims are walking to work or school, so this is no problem, but what does a NPC do?

Creating a world without cars seem to lead directly to a world without bikes. Do you know any possibility that makes sims use their bikes on other pathes than roads? Because bikes are ok as long as they don't need those wide and ugly roads.

Thank you for your help!
glindovia
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 3rd Apr 2011 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Glindovia
Hi,

I was thinking of building a car free world. Mostly to avoid those wide streets and to get a little and calm village.
Now I am wondering if this will work or if there are any parts of the game that work only with cars. The sims are walking to work or school, so this is no problem, but what does a NPC do?

Creating a world without cars seem to lead directly to a world without bikes. Do you know any possibility that makes sims use their bikes on other pathes than roads? Because bikes are ok as long as they don't need those wide and ugly roads.

Thank you for your help!
glindovia

Sorry, but I don't believe that's possible. If roads are used, NPC Sims will spawn cars even if they don't own any. You could use sidewalks, but that would mean you will need to use space very, very efficiently. Otherwise, it would take forever and a half for Sims to travel anywhere.

You could simply place bicycles on every residential lot, but I'm not certain that would create the effect you are looking for. Though roads are still necessary for bicycles to work.

What's wrong with using roads? The width, you can't do anything about. But you can use a different texture, so you can make them look differently.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#3 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 6:14 AM
making a world without roads would only make sense in a really small world. I don't know what size you are thinking, but a medium map and large map are really out of the question cause it would take sims hours and hours to get from place a to place b.
If there are no roads, npc's will walk like the rest of the sims (a guess).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 6:25 PM
I am planning to build a small village on an island. The buildings should be small too, so it's disturbing to me to have wide roads - even with an other texture. I started creating this world on a small map and I will build the community lots on my own. Somewhere in the www I found some rugs, that produce a rabbit hole. So instead of using the big community lots by ea, I can make small village-like houses. For the village I'll keep in mind to make it small enough, so my sims don't have to walk too long.

Thank you for your hints!
Instructor
#5 Old 5th Apr 2011 at 6:53 AM
I made a small island a few months ago and even on this small map it takes a few sims hours for a sim to go to work.
Maybe subwaystations are an option?
I'm planning a medieval world and I have a trick in my mind: I want make some kind of teleporting portals (hidden subwaystations).
Field Researcher
#6 Old 5th Apr 2011 at 7:05 AM
You mean like magic portals created by witches and wizards? ^
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Apr 2011 at 6:37 AM
Hidden Subwaystations sounds great! Do you know any page where someone made such a thing?
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#8 Old 6th Apr 2011 at 6:48 AM
One way to do that is to place the subway station to a basement. I don't know If anyone has made custom subway stations yet.
Instructor
#9 Old 6th Apr 2011 at 7:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by armiel
I don't know If anyone has made custom subway stations yet.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=435107

Although, I have not tested the subway station rabbit hole. But of those I did test, seemed to work fine.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Apr 2011 at 10:35 AM
Oh yeah, I totally forgot Jynx (Raven shadow) also made subway doors and roofs! i use the normal rabbithole rugs all the time, are awesome!
The rug version, if it works, and I have no doubt it wouldn't, would be perfect for this project
Instructor
#11 Old 6th Apr 2011 at 12:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Weeaboo
You mean like magic portals created by witches and wizards? ^

Yes, something like a magic portal:

The subwaystation is hidden in the basement. You can see the stairs in the background.

@BenC0722
I had totally forgotten these rugs. Makes it more easier. Thanks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Apr 2011 at 1:34 PM
Hey these rugs are the one I was talking about, I didn't know they are available at mts too. Now I only need some time to work on this little world.
Thank you all for your help!!
Field Researcher
#13 Old 20th Apr 2011 at 2:02 PM
I built a little island a while ago with no roads. I never had an emergency that needed a car, like a fire, though so I'm not sure if that would work. But it worked fine without emergency testing!

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
Test Subject
#14 Old 24th Apr 2011 at 2:59 AM
idk if you should , cuz it would have to be like a small world and , cars are all the better ! good luck
Test Subject
#15 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 12:24 AM
Default Roadless games
I've played with roadless maps, like Northernly, my issue with them along with other roadless maps is that for some reason even if there are only three households next to eachother the game begins to lag a bit.
dodgy builder
#16 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 5:17 AM
You should start a new thread on this. This thread is so ancient. It's also a much wider subject with lag. It might not have much to do with the lack of roads. Routing is a major contributor to lag. I made roadfree maps and if you move the lots around, you might end up with unconnecting dots, even moving around dots. If the routing work hasn't been done well enough before putting down lots, comparing a roadless map to another is not going to be very clarifying.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 7:44 AM
I have never played a roadless world as generally they are not my cup of tea, but will fireman, police, repo man, etc, all arrive by foot?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 2:28 PM
I know this is an old thread but since someone asked another question regarding this and no one else mentioned what I experienced:

I tried a world without roads myself. It was no problem in the world itself except for the fact that it took ages for the Sims to get anywhere. But what I noticed is that you won't have a maid, a pizza service, the police and you won't have anyone to rescue your Sims when their houses catch fire. Maybe the game needs roads for these kinds of NPC to be available. It is not like it's impossible to play in a game like this but it can become slightly uncomfortable every now and then. It may fit if you plan on doing a medieval or fantasy world where a maid or the police don't exist.

Edit: It's a while ago so I don't remember it properly but I think I also had no mailman and got no newspapers.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Mad Poster
#19 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 4:26 PM
Interesting- I thought those sims generate regardless.

I think maybe if you have a single intersection tile somewhere, those NPCs will spawn in and run to your lot?
Scholar
#20 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 8:57 PM
I’m pretty sure the maid, repairman, pizza delivery, repo man, and social worker all have to have at least a bit of road to generate. I don’t know if just an intersection is enough. I think the mailman is generated by the mailbox. Perhaps newspaper delivery too. Although newspaper delivery is done by children so I suspect they would walk to/appear on the lot to deliver the paper. Of course, you have the option to turn off newspaper delivery. There’s been quite a bit of discussion about this over the years so maybe you could search for more threads. It would be an interesting test project. Good luck with your map!
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 10:08 PM
When testing Northeney, this is what we found:

• no cars, no bikes, no scooters, no brooms, no buses, no taxis, no limos, no trucks, and no carpool
  • no pizza delivery or maid service, butler works fine though.
  • no repair technician
  • no bus, but kids go to school on foot. No boarding schools though
  • no teen curfew.
  • no child adoption services, pet adoption works fine
  • no UFOs, though you may meet a green resident or visitor out and about town.
  • We are happy to provide mail service and daily newspaper delivery.