Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 11:27 PM
Default need tutorial for adding alpha parts to outfits
I have spent hours researching these sites and downloading both video and printed tutorials. In all cases the tutorials are not complete, they often refer to another that I can't find. I have Unimesh tutorials 1,2 and 3 (which in not correct because the one about frankensteining has tutorial 2's info instead of the complete tutorial 3). I also have several other tutorials (like Linda's Sims 2 torials) and have several parts that assumes you know what they are talking about and there is no reference to finding out what they are talking about...other parts are not clear in what they are saying.

Is there a tutorial out there that is complete? What I am trying to do is "add" parts onto outfits and boots, not take off or changing high heels for boots.

I believe I pretty well have the creating the alpha part down but nowhere can I find a concise information on adding to an outfit.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Aug 2011 at 11:33 PM
Here you go.

The tutorial is for a skirt, but the principle is the same for any alpha parts you want to add.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Aug 2011 at 12:22 AM
Got that already in my notebook. Didn't connect it to what I needed, just thought it was an article on how to make skirts. I'll look it over to see if that is what I need. Thanks for the information.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st Aug 2011 at 12:32 AM
The part of the tutorial you'll probably find the most useful is here. It tells you what to adjust in your recolour file so that it recognizes the new mesh parts that you made in MilkShape (or whatever 3D program you're using).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Aug 2011 at 5:03 PM
Thanks for the info but it's not complete. The tutorial on the Alpha Skirt starts off referring to something that in not covered in the tutorial. Steps 1 through 3 talks about cutting off the top part of the body but it doesn't say where to get the body from. Am I suppose to take a body from photoshop, assemble the mesh package and link the mesh to the recolour in Simpe, then extract the 3D model before going to Milkshape? That's a few pages of info not in the tutorial for the Alpha Shirts.

The reason I ask this is because I have already spent weeks barking up the wrong tree, thinking certain proceedure in one tutorial is needed to be done before doing one step in another tutorial and it turns out to be the wrong proceedure.

Again, thank you for your help and info.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 31st Aug 2011 at 6:07 PM
That tutorial is "not complete" because it's a more advanced one that assumes you've made basic meshes before. If you have not done so, trying to make an alpha mesh as your first project is going to be an exercise in frustration.

If you're making a top or a bottom, yes, you can take a full body mesh (extracted from Body Shop) and chop it in half... as long as you line up the vertices at the waist so that they'll "fit" with other tops or bottoms. Or you could use an existing top or bottom and add alpha layers. You also need to make sure the game recognizes it as a separate and not as a full body. (But if you're trying to add something to a full body outfit, all of that doesn't really matter. The rest of the instructions still apply.)

An example of what you can do with adding parts can be found here. The girls' two-piece swimsuit with the ruffle on the bottom is a mesh that had alpha parts added to it. These dresses were also made using the same technique. The only time you really need to add alpha parts to your mesh is when something needs to be an odd shape (such as a lacy skirt or ruffle). There are lots of things you can just add to a basic mesh without worrying about alpha bits (the swimsuit above is an example of that; the bows on the shoulders are part of the main mesh).

What kind of parts are you trying to add to the outfit? Could you provide some pictures of what you're trying to do? It's difficult to point you in the right direction because I'm not sure what kind of help you actually need.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Aug 2011 at 11:32 PM
I've done the tutorials Unimesh 1 & 2 several times. #3 has a BIG typo, steps 1-5 is about frankensteining and step 6 to the end is actually steps 6 to the end of #2.

I don't have a picture but what I am trying to do is add an alpha part onto a dress, or make it an object that can be worn. Imaging a hula hoop that is wrapped around at the knee level, worn there but being able to move along with the sim when they walk. Or a prison scene where the convict's legs are chained together so he could walk around but the chains stay attached to the ankles. Stuff like that.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 31st Aug 2011 at 11:45 PM
There is no typo. Both tutorials go into UV mapping, which is an essential part of meshing if you want the texture to look right on the outfit. Tutorial 2 deals with the UV map for a dress; Tutorial 3 deals with the UV map for an outfit with replaced shoes.

To add something like a hula hoop or chains, you probably wouldn't need to use an alpha part at all. You could, but it's not necessary. The biggest issue with what you're trying to do will be the animation... and that gets affected by the bones. The new part that you add will have to have bone assignments and weights that correspond to the adjacent parts of the mesh (in this case, the legs). The easiest way to assign bones is to copy the weights and assignments from an existing mesh using the Bone Tool in MilkShape. Even so, due to the limitations of the game itself, there will be some stretching of your object when the Sim moves around.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Sep 2011 at 12:53 AM
We may not be talking about the same Tutorial #3. The one I am referring to is Unimesh 3-Frankensteining. Parts 1 - 5 talks about the shoes but Parts 6 through 9 is an exact copy of parts 6-9 from Unimesh 2-Editing and UV Mapping. It even has the same homework.

What I've done so far was to export an outfit from Bodyshop. I then assemble the mesh package, linked the mesh to the recolour and extracted the 3D model. Then I opened Milkshape and using the cylinder option under the Model tab I created the restraints. Then, under the Joints Tab, I assigned certain parts of the chain to the section of the body. For instance, the left half of the ankle chain is assigned to the left calf (there's no ankle option). The right side is assigned to the right calf. The left wrist shackle is assigned to the left wrist... and so on.

So, am I doing something wrong here? I'm not familar to the bone tool option but I have seen it mentioned a couple of times.

BTW, when I animated my 3D model in Milkshape the chains stretched and retracted with it's assigned body part.

If I did do this correctly then I am stumped on where to go from here.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 1st Sep 2011 at 2:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tanina
We may not be talking about the same Tutorial #3. The one I am referring to is Unimesh 3-Frankensteining. Parts 1 - 5 talks about the shoes but Parts 6 through 9 is an exact copy of parts 6-9 from Unimesh 2-Editing and UV Mapping. It even has the same homework.

I don't know. I've looked at the Unimesh tutorials here on MTS multiple times. They're not the same on my computer. Tutorial 2 is here and tutorial 3 is here.

What I've done so far was to export an outfit from Bodyshop. I then assemble the mesh package, linked the mesh to the recolour and extracted the 3D model. Then I opened Milkshape and using the cylinder option under the Model tab I created the restraints.

So far, so good...

Then, under the Joints Tab, I assigned certain parts of the chain to the section of the body. For instance, the left half of the ankle chain is assigned to the left calf (there's no ankle option). The right side is assigned to the right calf. The left wrist shackle is assigned to the left wrist... and so on.

So, am I doing something wrong here? I'm not familar to the bone tool option but I have seen it mentioned a couple of times.

Setting things with the Joints tab isn't going to work. You need to select the vertices and use the Bone Tool instead. For example, select the vertices on the left leg, go to the Sims2 UniMesh Bone Tool under the "Vertex" menu. There, you can set your bone weights and assignments (you can set them by hand, or you can copy them from the leg). (If you don't have the Bone Tool plug-in, you can get it here.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Sep 2011 at 9:35 PM
It looks like your Tutorial 3 is the corrected version of the Tutorial 3 that is still on MTS site. I am not the only one who noticed the problem. The one I am talking about is at...

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...Frankensteining

So, I went the wrong direction with the joints. Is there a site on how to use the bone tool option or is it self explanatory? I do have it but never used it before and haven't seen any instructions for it yet.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Sep 2011 at 9:39 PM
Also, is there a way I can get a print out of #3 for my notebook? It's easier to read instead of flipping through the different screens for online and the programs.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Sep 2011 at 9:41 PM
Nevermind...I just found a way to make a printable version from the site.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Sep 2011 at 9:43 PM
Oops, never mind. Their printable version doesn't come with pictures and instructions refer to the pictures. Going to have to find another way.
Site Helper
#15 Old 1st Sep 2011 at 10:43 PM
tanina, please don't quadruple post. Use the Edit button to add information to your existing post.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 1st Sep 2011 at 11:10 PM
oops, sorry. Didn't notice it. The top half of the button is cut off and I didn't know I could come back and add to the post.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 1st Sep 2011 at 11:43 PM
So, I went the wrong direction with the joints. Is there a site on how to use the bone tool option or is it self explanatory? I do have it but never used it before and haven't seen any instructions for it yet.

There are probably tutorials for using the Bone Tool, but I can't think of any at the moment. I learned to use it by trial and error (lots and lots of error... and a few mesh explosions ). There is a manual in this thread (post #2). I don't know if there's much about the Bone Tool there, but it's worth a look.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Sep 2011 at 6:01 PM
Thanks, I'll try it out.