Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2005 at 10:38 PM
Default Gap at Neck in New Hair Mesh
I've been making new hair meshes using MilkShape 1.7.4 and the mesh plugin and have started noticing gaps at the back of the mesh where the hair meets the neck. I've tried assigning the vertices to the neck, but it doesn't seem to be working. I didn't have these problems when I was using the Mesh Tool- in fact, if I go that route the hair meshes all show up perfectly. I'd rather use the plugin for these meshes so the hair doesn't poke out at really strange angles.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or might be missing?? It's driving me batty. THANKS!

Screenshots

you stare at my shoulders
are you surprised to see one more devil 
where angel wings should be..?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 8th Jun 2005 at 9:32 AM
That gap is because the game uses multiple vertice assignments, but MilkShape only supports single vertice assignments. The only way around it at this point is to make sure your new hairstyle is one where the hair hangs down past that place on the neck to hide the gap.

For short hairstyles, use only the .obj method.
Instructor
#3 Old 8th Jun 2005 at 3:56 PM Last edited by pinhead : 8th Jun 2005 at 3:59 PM.
Hi!

Dr. Pixel, i was thinking that the problem is caused by the multiple bones assignments also (and the neck vertices always are assigned to head joint too), but after some research i notice that the faces and vertices are not been stored in Subset Tab (simPE 0.38) and the game use that section to render the mesh by bone.

So, is a little issue that exist in wes plugin.
Scholar
#4 Old 8th Jun 2005 at 4:22 PM Last edited by Dr Pixel : 8th Jun 2005 at 4:27 PM.
Oh, so is it possible to fix this by doing something in SimPE?

This might also be the cause of the problem with the gap at the neck with bodies, and the serious problem with separate top/bottom meshes too?

I was also thinking maybe the game does something to "lock" together these vertices where the separate meshes go together (the hair, face mesh, neck, and with separate top/bottom also the waist)

Maybe this information is gone missing after editing?

Or maybe these vertices should be assigned to one of those "unknown" bones?
Instructor
#5 Old 8th Jun 2005 at 9:13 PM Last edited by pinhead : 8th Jun 2005 at 9:55 PM.
i don't know for sure, but i think that we can't fix that manually in SimPE with the generated GMDC by the plugin.

I made a lot of tests and i never get it to work properly.
When you select more vertices to close and create the faces of the neck vertices will be included in that Subset Tab in bone 6.
But, unfortunately, still didn't show up for me, maybe is not exactly the problem or is not including the correct faces and vertices.

For example, if you assign the neck vertices to the head joint will show up because will be included the faces and vertices to the head joint stored in Subset Tab, but the animations will be wrong. And since all the vertices and faces of the mesh are together in the same bone will be rendered fine.

maybe wes can explain what exactly is causing that.

btw, aikea thanks very much for sharing those Robert Smith hairs!
I'm a big fan of The Cure.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Jun 2005 at 11:09 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Using the obj method won't be a problem on the shorter bob mesh I included as an example, but the animations on the pigtails mesh is really wild. Oh well!

Pinhead- glad you liked the Bob hair!
Test Subject
#7 Old 11th Jun 2005 at 3:06 AM Last edited by guppy_gabriel : 5th Jul 2005 at 7:35 PM.
I have discovered a little trick for don't see gap.
Using Wes_H plugins, clone this neck part
1.-
2.- Assign the duplicated part to head (originally the part is assigned to neck)
3.- Regroup to hair
4.- Rename "regroup" to hair

You can see reults in this hairmesh :D

Body Meshes, skins, hairstyles meshes: Visit my page http://guppysims.05c.net/ (Spanish language, but there are icons)
Scholar
#8 Old 11th Jun 2005 at 3:28 AM
Oh, this look like a great idea. I'll have to try this.

Does it look OK in the game, when the Sim is moving their head around?l?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 1:49 AM
I tried this today, it worked. Then, somehow at a later stage in meshing, my file became corrupted and I had to start over. Now, doing this does not work. Inconsistent constants, I hate 'em...