Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#126 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 4:38 PM
Thanks a lot for your answer. I'm really sorry, I should have reading posts before... :sorry:
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#127 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 6:33 PM Last edited by Samekh : 31st Jan 2005 at 6:34 PM. Reason: Post appeared way past where I wanted it to
Oh cheers... Miche. (referring to the Russian tutorial) some way back.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#128 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 11:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Samekh
Oh cheers... Miche. (referring to the Russian tutorial) some way back.

Well it most of worked, there has been no more questions since I posted that link, so I guess we`ll be doing all future tutorials in russian.
Lab Assistant
#129 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 11:28 PM
How do I add new texture images and material definition files etc?
I tried extracting and re-adding and renaming but then it just started flashing blue.

The object I'm working on has 22 models and when I changed the name in the Shape file it only had one so only one part of the object showed up.
Test Subject
#130 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 11:49 PM
there are no belly button rings in sims 2 right?

cause when i was looking through the sims03 package file i found....

(look at the attached images)

the first image is the extracted mesh. the 2nd is the name of the file inside the sims03 package. uuAccessoryBellybuttonRing_tslocator_gmdc
Screenshots
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#131 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 12:37 AM
there seems to be meshes for a lot of unused items in the files.
Field Researcher
#132 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 12:37 AM
Well, I've just spent a few hours making a mesh of a highchair and importing it using the Meshtool and the tutorial that comes with it. At every stage I noted my steps in a word document and took lots of screen captures to illustrate, and I was thinking that, at the end, I'd have a picture of some strange blur or something with the legend 'this is how it turned out' but - miraculously - it appeared in the game. It doesn't look quite right and I had my reasons for doing it blue and red (experimental reasons). It worked! And I accidentally made my own (sort of) tutorial in the process.

I think the fact that it looks like barley twist when it was nice and smooth in gmax is because of something to do with normals that I don't understand but, believe me, this is a breakthrough for me. Thumbnails included.

So, if anyone is using gmax with the plugin to export md3 files and 3d explorer to convert between obj and md3 - and your objects look like weird blurs etc. I might be able to help (a little). I wont post my 'retraceable steps' document because it was enormous. Here are the thumbnails. Does anyone know why the legs became lumpy?

Image 28 is how the object appears in game.
Image 30 is how it appeared in 3d explorer.
Image 29 is how it appeared in gmax (how I wanted it to look in game).

Obviously something happened between the gmax and 3d explorer stages. But what?
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#133 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 1:03 AM Last edited by Sims2DW : 1st Feb 2005 at 1:17 AM.
Need help!, what dose this mean? OBJ file doesn't include vertex normals! You must have these included
Test Subject
#134 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 2:17 AM
Well, I had that error when I used the "Videoscape with Vertex Colors (.obj)" in Blender. If you're using Blender, choose the last option which appears to be blank to convert your file to .obj, because Videoscape doesn't save the vertex normals and it's smaller. What program are you useing to import/export it?
Lab Assistant
#135 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 2:23 AM
For the purpose of testing, I created a extremely simple mesh (one polygon cube only) using Maya 6. I saved it in obj files, tried to load it using Mesh Tool New Object Wizard. But when I chose my file and say Next, there is an error "Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range". When I say OK, the mesh tool exit automatically. So what's that mean? I followed the tutorial strictly, and really don't know what's wrong.

BTW, when importing the object, I noticed that aside from the object itself (a sofa in my case), there are four planes which are named as four shadows. Should I keep them?
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#136 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 2:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2DW
Need help!, what dose this mean? OBJ file doesn't include vertex normals! You must have these included

IT mean that the obj file doesn`t have normals in, the program you used to export the object in the obj file didn`t export the normals (normals , tell the game which direction a vertex and therefore a face is pointing) , The game needs normals in the gmdc, so the obj file needs to include these.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#137 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 2:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by taoyingying
For the purpose of testing, I created a extremely simple mesh (one polygon cube only) using Maya 6. I saved it in obj files, tried to load it using Mesh Tool New Object Wizard. But when I chose my file and say Next, there is an error "Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range". When I say OK, the mesh tool exit automatically. So what's that mean? I followed the tutorial strictly, and really don't know what's wrong.

BTW, when importing the object, I noticed that aside from the object itself (a sofa in my case), there are four planes which are named as four shadows. Should I keep them?

can you post the obj file, so I can look and see what the problem is.
Lab Assistant
#138 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 2:30 AM
Huzzah, yo. I got the mesh imported and it works just fine in game. I tossed a flat colored texture on it just to get the thing working, I'll be going back and changing it momentarily (I just wanted to get it in first)... there's only one problem with it. It's tilted! And I'm not sure why. It's supposed to be oriented like /\ but... it's rotated a bit. I attached a picture of how it should be positioned back on page 4.
http://modthesims2.com/attachment.p...achmentid=24184

Are there any help threads for making parts of the mesh somewhat transparent? The blue parts are supposed to be sapphires. I'm guessing I'll have to just use some texturing tricks to make the gold part look shiny, though.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#139 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 2:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Miche
can you post the obj file, so I can look and see what the problem is.

Here is a screen shot of the object I made. Just a cube for testing. I kept the four planes.

Attached is the obj files. Thanks for helping!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  yytao_cube_test.rar (1.0 KB, 15 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#140 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 3:22 AM
The four planes (I think) are things like walls and shadows. And I don't think you need them. From my experiments it makes the whole process uneccessarily complex and the one and only thing I got in the game - I deleted all of the planes and anything that wasn't actually the object (in the 3d editor program I've got) before I exported it from the program and imported it into simpe. At the editing stage, it helps to call your object something that will get your attention when you come to work with it in the next stage with simpe. Then you'll know it is actually the mesh you just made and not something from the object you want to replace.

The object I got into game had a new shaped shadow too so that sort of proves that the shadow planes and wall planes can be deleted at editor level.

Someone please correct me if I'm giving bad advice here.
Lab Assistant
#141 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 3:25 AM Last edited by Saikatsu : 1st Feb 2005 at 8:10 AM.
Okay... fixed the problem with it being tilted (the object itself was set to the correct orientation by rotating it, so it seems it was setting it back to 0 deg rotation), but I'm still having issues figuring out the transparency thing. I tried making an alpha channel image, imported that, it didn't work. It's also way too dark. :\ Any tips? Should I attach the .package file to be poked at?

EDIT: And the shadow is vase-shaped. XD;; I can't seem to find how to change that.

EDIT2: Heh, okay, after looking around a bit, it seems no one knows how to fix the shadows yet. What about the darkness of the textures? x_X

EDIT3: Holy crap. It doesn't seem to be effected by lighting at all, even after I made the object over again using the same GUID. I surround it with lamps and it's black.
Field Researcher
#142 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 4:23 AM
What did I do wrong here? I thought I'd done everything right. If anyone can help - please have a look at my attachments. It looks like the clothing texture is on the outside of the object, for one thing, and the shadow is very strange.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  antiquaintarmoire_remodel_samekh9.zip (262.9 KB, 12 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#143 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 4:56 AM Last edited by taoyingying : 1st Feb 2005 at 5:00 AM.
OK, now here is another model I got "runtime error 9". It's cloned from a ceiling lamp. For the simple cube one, when I remove those four planes, it can be imported into MeshTool. I don't know why. :werd:

Edit: add some info that may be useful
I use Maya 6, complete or unlimit I don't know, but not that personal study version. I use the build-in objExporter plugin in Maya. No nurbs in my model, uv mapping already assigned. All polyfaces are triangels.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  yytao_Clamp_3paperball.rar (136.6 KB, 15 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#144 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 6:24 AM
Is it possible to post the complete "Tutorial" that is on the "meshtool" site in a single file, for download.

I've read all the threads concerning the mesh tool and the other tuts, etc.... but it would be nice to have the complete tutorial on your HDD for reference, and possible printing, instead of having to go to the meshtool site to follow it when creating a mesh.

If I missed this already somewhere, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#145 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 9:06 AM Last edited by fleabay : 1st Feb 2005 at 9:09 AM.
How many vertex normals are supported?

For some reason, Maya generates a lot more vertex normals than the OBJ extractor or Milkshape exporter. Milkshape can handle this but the mesh tool freaks out and causes the model to behave badly in-game.

It seems the problem starts at around 1000 normals.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#146 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 9:43 AM
fleabay,

Attach a Maya created OBJ with many vertex normals and I'll take a look.

Thanks
Test Subject
#147 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 10:07 AM
Hello!
I followed the tutorial step by step, but in the game my new object looks like an original but with the new texture.
I've exported GMDC as the obj file and found that the old mesh was replaced with the new one. So, I don't understand what's wrong.
Could someone check the attached package?
Attached files:
File Type: zip  myarmchairD.zip (121.4 KB, 17 downloads) - View custom content
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#148 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 10:15 AM
REf: the shadows, as far as I know the problem with the shadows of the old objects showing up is when the old shadows are reimported as part of the object (the square planes are the shadows). I can`t be sure it will always be the case but deleting those shadows from the object (in your 3d program) normaly solves the problem. However as I said I can`t be sure that it will work on every object and on every one`s game, I think those planes might be used when running the game with low graphic settings.
Lab Assistant
#149 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 10:45 AM
Here is the original file, and the file with Maya's extra normals. Milkshape will export the file that was saved in Maya to a 'proper' size.

When I exported the adult female top from Maya and into the game via the mesh tool, it looked OK. (less normals)

With this Maya export file, it went haywire with polygons thrown everywhere.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  fleabayMayaExportProblem.zip (44.0 KB, 22 downloads) - View custom content

Nearly alive
Original Poster
#150 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 10:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoukeir
Hello!
I followed the tutorial step by step, but in the game my new object looks like an original but with the new texture.
I've exported GMDC as the obj file and found that the old mesh was replaced with the new one. So, I don't understand what's wrong.
Could someone check the attached package?

you have a couple of problems with this, the first one is the reference in the gmnd file which point to the gmdc file wasn`t updated automaticly , some people have this problem as it has been pointed out in this thread.

So update that to point to the new gmdc file:

go to the gmnd file -plug-in view then to the reference tab, you will notice the instance and groups number in the listed gmdc file are still from the old one, so click the "u" next to setting, then drag the new gmdc file from the window what opens into the reference window.

You will now have two gmdc listed in the window, delete the old one, then click commit.

Then do the fix integrity again, and commit again. Then save the package.

This will get the object showing up in the game, but you still have a problem in that you have the chair laying on it`s back, so you need to rototate your mesh and reimport.

I don`t know why some people are having this problem with the gmnd reference not updating , make sure you are using the lastest version of SimPE, and I`ll try to talk to Quaxi to find out why it might be happening.
Locked thread
Page 6 of 20