Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#26 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 4:23 AM
Thomas, that may have just been a thumbnails package issue that sorted itself out after a reload =)

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#27 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 4:25 AM
I've updated the download page to link to the SimPE plugin.

MimeWhite, thats a SimPE problem, not a Mesh Tool one

Nemi, sounds like a GUID problem. You packaged up the new mesh and made sure to change all the references in the GMND, SHPE etc to the new mesh, correct? One of those is probably pointing to the old GMDC.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 4:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Saikatsu
I can't even get to the part where I use the Mesh Tool. The Export to OBJ button flat out isn't there, and I AM using the newest version of SimPe. I've tried 014f and 014h, the button doesn't show up.

Saikatsu,

This is an issue with the install of Delphy's plugin for SimPE.

This quote tells how to fix it:

Quote: Originally posted by wes_h
Open SimPE, go to the Plugins menu, select Installed Plugins...
On the subsequent box find "GMDC Wrapper". If it isn't anywhere on the list, then you didn't get the file installed in the plugins directory correctly.
If it is there, then select it and use the up/down buttons to position it immediately above the "Generic Rcol" plugin (leave all the checkmarks checked).
That should do it.
<* Wes *>

Check out this thread if you need more info:
http://72.9.230.162/showthread.php?...&highlight=GMDC

If you have Delphy's plugin for SimPE already, then this will help you fix the install. If you don't have, I think you need to download and install it. Get it here:

http://72.9.230.162/showthread.php?...mpe+mesh+plugin
Instructor
#29 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 4:33 AM
No questions from me yet... just wanted to say thank you Miche and Delphy.

have a good night
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 4:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rosiedogsim
Saikatsu,

This is an issue with the install of Delphy's plugin for SimPE.

This quote tells how to fix it:

Check out this thread if you need more info:
http://72.9.230.162/showthread.php?...&highlight=GMDC

If you have Delphy's plugin for SimPE already, then this will help you fix the install. If you don't have, I think you need to download and install it. Get it here:

http://72.9.230.162/showthread.php?...mpe+mesh+plugin

I actually didn't even get the plugin, I didn't know there even was one. I thought it was built into SimPe. @_@;;

Found an OBJ import plugin for 3ds5... but of course, it doesn't seem to work. >| I don't know what any of the import options are for, and I know other people are able to get them in, but how? >.< And since it's not related to the Mesh Tool itself, I'm not sure where to ask for help on that.
Test Subject
#31 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 4:49 AM
Ok, i read the tutorial, Got everything to work, Object is ingame cous the Custom Content part shows up, But the object doesnt show up in the thumbnail I think it might be because i use Cinema 4D, It somtimes moves the objects and stuff around Its like the tile is placed, But i cant see the objects Miche, Can you help me? :P
Field Researcher
#32 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 5:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Loverat
Thomas, that may have just been a thumbnails package issue that sorted itself out after a reload =)

I just scraped it and went on to something else.

After a few weird SimPE problems where it cloned the two objects I previously cloned into one object which stopped time in the game. I finished my first new object which I will probably upload to the beta forum tomorrow.

Thank you Delphy, Miche and Wes_h.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 5:05 AM
Okay... I need help with this. =_= I KNOW it's possible cause other people are doing this in 3ds. I have version 5. The plugins from the URL posted in the thread that has the SimPE plugin download don't work. It goes through two windows with options in them, I don't know what in blazes the second one is asking me for, and then it doesn't actually import anything. I can't feed the file through MilkShape and save it in 3ds's file format, either, there's no option and I have no idea what it is I need. I'm getting tired of something going wrong whenever I try doing something... it's really, really discouraging. -.- I realize this thread is for help on the mesh tool itself, but the thread for the plugin has been dormant for 2 days and I don't know if I should revive it or not. Can anyone help me out here? x.x
Test Subject
#34 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 5:23 AM
Wished I could help you, but I'm going through the same thing you are. I have 3DS Max 6 and get the same two dialog boxes, but nothing imports. Would be nice if there was a discussion going for each type of 3D program because I'm not exactly sure this should be discussed here or not. But is anyone else here using 3ds max to alter their meshes? If so, is there anyway you could take a screen shot of the options you are using for the obj importer?

I'd be so thankful! :D
Field Researcher
#35 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 5:42 AM
I'm getting tired of something going wrong whenever I try doing something... it's really, really discouraging.

humm amagine how we feel, been doing this for weeks. it can get discouraging but don't give up.

You know maby you should try just using milk shape until you can work this out.

I do beleave there are beta testers that used 3Dmax, maby you can get with them tomorrow.
start a new trend about it, if you can't find one, that way you can bring out others that may be having the same porb, or maby someone with some ansers.

sorry I am not much help here, I only used milk shape.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 6:02 AM Last edited by MimeWhite : 30th Jan 2005 at 10:37 AM.
ok, here I got an object working allright but' it appear as transparent (you still can see the shape) anyone know how to fix this?

*Edit nevermind I got it working now
Test Subject
#37 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 6:11 AM Last edited by Paper : 30th Jan 2005 at 6:13 AM.
I finally figured out the problem with Blender. It had to do with the Python Plugins, you have to use the Wavefront (.obj) to import the mesh, and then the .OBJ menu under import to get it to save to a .obj file. If you use the other export, there will be no vertex data... and that's not good.

Here's some pictures of my Demonic Super Toilet. It has some animation problems, such as when the Sim does an animation to put the toilet seat up, there's no toilet seat moving. You can see the huge dent in the back in some shots. The "mother" toilet sits next to it for comparison.
Screenshots
On a Radical Sabbatical :)
retired moderator
#38 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 6:29 AM Last edited by tkdjunkie : 30th Jan 2005 at 6:32 AM.
Saikatsu and allykatz0372,

I tried using Maya, but I couldn't get it to recognize the file (not sure about the other programs, though).

But I was able to get the .obj file to import with MilkShape. (File, Import, Wavefront OBJ ...). I haven't yet learned how to use MilkShape to edit anything, but at least it opened the file, and I was able to make a few tiny changes.

But here's the thing: DON'T "save" the file in MilkShape. It defaults you into saving it in the wrong format. Instead, when you're finished making changes, you have to EXPORT the file. (Go to File, Export, Wavefront OBJ, and save it over the original name you started with.)

After you've done that, you can get into SimPE and finish.

(Hope this helps ... I've never even used SimPE or a 3D editor before ... so there's not much else I can suggest.)
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 6:30 AM
Ugh, I give up for the night. I finally got the new mesh to appear but the object was blue so I figured I went wrong with the texture image somewhere and I did. But after I fixed that it went back to the old object and no matter WHAT I changed, fixed, tweaked, double-tripple checked it wouldn't change back.

I wanna say thanks to everyone who made this possible though. :D
retired moderator
#40 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 6:44 AM
Okay... I need help with this. =_= I KNOW it's possible cause other people are doing this in 3ds. I have version 5. The plugins from the URL posted in the thread that has the SimPE plugin download don't work. It goes through two windows with options in them, I don't know what in blazes the second one is asking me for, and then it doesn't actually import anything.

The plugin works. Just download the zip file, and extract the .dll into the SimPE plugins folder. Then:

a. open SimPE b. go to plugins/installed plugins
c. locate GMDC wrapper
d. click on the name, move up, so it sits directly above Generic Rcol Wrapper
e. make sure there is a check in the box
f. hit ok

The plugin will work now.

Refer to this tutorial:
http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=41524
Field Researcher
#41 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 7:33 AM
Default anyone having problems with there object showing up read this.
Anyone having problems with there object showing up read this.

sorry but unforately I can't help you, no just kidding lol
The tutorial was converted to html before I added this.
If you have more then one object data file, you will need a different guid # for each one.
This has already been added to the tutorial,
sorry for the hair lose.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 7:39 AM Last edited by Saikatsu : 30th Jan 2005 at 7:43 AM.
I know how the import/export thing works. I've been doing 3D modeling for years now. >>; I simply couldn't get the whole conversion thing working. I ended up importing it to MilkShape, then Exporting as a 3DS file (which took a while to locate =.=;;)
I really do prefer to NOT work in MilkShape. I did it for Sims 1 and it was horrible.
retired moderator
#43 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 7:46 AM
I know how the import/export thing works. I've been doing 3D modeling for years now. >>; I simply couldn't get the whole conversion thing working. I ended up importing it to MilkShape, then Exporting as a 3DS file (which took a while to locate =.=;
I really do prefer to NOT work in MilkShape. I did it for Sims 1 and it was horrible.

I know what you mean. Maya is much easier to use ... I just wish I could get it to work!
Test Subject
#44 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Paper
I finally figured out the problem with Blender. It had to do with the Python Plugins, you have to use the Wavefront (.obj) to import the mesh, and then the .OBJ menu under import to get it to save to a .obj file. If you use the other export, there will be no vertex data... and that's not good.

Here's some pictures of my Demonic Super Toilet. It has some animation problems, such as when the Sim does an animation to put the toilet seat up, there's no toilet seat moving. You can see the huge dent in the back in some shots. The "mother" toilet sits next to it for comparison.

xD I done something like what you did. I took a chair and extruded it in random places.

I really don't know how to edit meshes and etc at all. The tutorial is VERY straight forward and user friendly, so thanks a lot. Actually, I have an older version of SimPE and still done it easily.
Test Subject
#45 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:39 AM
Quote:
Can I use it to make new body/hair meshes?

You can`t make completely new body or hair meshes at this time, you can however make some changes to existing body/hair meshes from the game.

So, say I wanted to give a sim a piercing. What would I clone? And people are going to be able to make bigger breasts and such correct?
#46 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:43 AM
Where can I download this tool?
Test Subject
#47 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:45 AM
i also have a question, bit nooby but ok

I've installed everything, also the plugin, but when i try to export it to a OBJ file, i can find the button NO WHERE... i installed everything, and they are also on the installed plugin list.. can anyone help me with this?
Test Subject
#48 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marruk
i also have a question, bit nooby but ok

I've installed everything, also the plugin, but when i try to export it to a OBJ file, i can find the button NO WHERE... i installed everything, and they are also on the installed plugin list.. can anyone help me with this?

n00b to n00b, click Plugins at the top. Click Installed plugins. Do you see GMDC Wrapper? Highlight it. Click move up and make it be above Generic Rcol Wrapper.
Test Subject
#49 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sylvia
Where can I download this tool?

the front page says it at modthesims2.com or just go to http://meshtool.modthesims2.com/
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#50 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 10:41 AM
I know a few people had problems importing the OBJ files into some versions of 3D studio max, it just seemed to depend on what version they had (I think), also some had problems exporting the objects back into OBJ format which the mesh tool can read. For some reason the standard OBJ import/export in 3ds studio seem to use a different format in obj files than most other programs. I believe there are a number of plug-ins which correct this.

As for not being able to import them into maya, as far as I know, no one had this problem, I know at least two or three were using the full version of Maya without any problems at all.
Locked thread
Page 2 of 20