Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 6:05 PM
Milkshape meshing : some strange stripes on alpha
I'm trying to make an alpha mesh, but there are some strange stripes on the bottom and on the back of it.
Does anyone know how to get rid of them ? Or what am I doing wrong ?

Advertisement
Banned Asshat
#2 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 8:06 PM
Can be a few things......
Texture files:
Give all bmp files a solid color first.
Grey for the alpha file and normalmap
White for your recolorfile

Mesh:
Alligne the normals
Check for duplicate faces that are turned inside.
Make a alpha group with outside faces only and test that one first.
(later on you can duplicate those faces to get the inside textures)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 9:27 PM Last edited by inspire84 : 26th Nov 2007 at 9:32 PM.
thanks for reply!
there's no problem with texture files unfortunately it would be much more easier to fix it
I've made the alpha layer partly transparent, so that the problem could be better seen.

I tried to remove the inside part of the skirt, here's the result - the back line disappeared, but the bottom line is still there

I am so lame

oh, and when I tried to align normals - the bottom of the skirt turned black.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 9:44 PM Last edited by Natalya_Sh : 26th Nov 2007 at 10:56 PM.
strange stripes - it imposing(overlapping) of two alpha mesh.
After removal an internal part of a skirt, remove an internal part(bottom strip) of an external skirt

P.S. Excuse, I know in what the problem consists, but I can not explain it.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#5 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 2:38 AM
Yes, this looks like... a group/order/transparency setting/something like that issue.

Hair gets that, it must be layered in a specific way or it will display... oddly, with holes or outlines.

If 'align normals' makes your lower hem black... that must mean you're selecting more than the outside of the skirt? Did you line it, or part of it? Did that get put into the same group? The lining is a separate group in the hula skirt. Did you keep the mesh groups in the same order on the list (in milkshape)

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 6:39 AM
Natalya_Sh, можно по-русски

//I mean - you can explain it in russian. translation is given, so that noone would think, that we are having just a chat
Banned Asshat
#7 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 9:06 AM Last edited by bLURR : 27th Nov 2007 at 9:31 AM.
Ah
We getting closer...
But there are still duplicate (the bottom roe when viewing front inside dress)inside faces:
Select the legs and hide those first, you dont need them.
Go to right side view and enable the settings ''hide back faces''
Then select the whole bottom and go to front view.
The faces(if there any) on the oppesite left side, inside the dress,are also inside faces.
Delete those by deselecting the right outside faces first, when done go to 3d view and check ''smooth shaded'' to see if you didn't delete other outside faces by accident.
If you did, go back with ctrl Z and try again...

Do the same with the left view/back view and front view till all inside faces are gone.
If your done and alligne normals, you should not get the black spots anymore.
Its also normal the inside dress is invisible when in bodyshop.
First try to delete all the inside faces.

I also know why there are inside faces, im 200% sure you copied the legpart when you started to make this extra alpha and scaled it bigger.
And you copied outside and inside faces of the leg part.

Now im not sure wat happens when you select inside and outside faces and duplicate those into a single group and if you be able to select the inside faces in a later stadium like i explained above.

If you dont get it working you always can put up the file here
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 3:32 PM
Well, I write in Russian. To translate to English - is too difficult for me.
С похожей проблемой я столкнулась делая прозрачное платье. Наложение двух прозрачных слоев (внешнего и внутреннег&#1086 дает странные полосы, особенно при взгляде под острым углом.
Как с этим бороться. Обе части юбки должны быть однослойными. У Вас, судя по картинке, юбка с "подгибом". Удалите внутренние полигоны для внешней юбки. Внутренняя юбка (изнанк&#1072 делается как несглаженный дубликат внешней (Duplicate, reverse vertex order и после этого ее лучше не трогат&#1100. Если изнанку сгладить - юбка будет выглядеть как подсвеченная снизу прожектором.
Если Вы ничего не поняли (что вполне вероятно, так как я совершенно не умею объяснять ), то позже попробую еще раз, из дома, где у меня клавиатура без западающих кнопок. Или приложите файл (simpe or MilkShape) и я покажу пальцем (это у меня хорошо получаетс&#1103.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 5:14 PM
Oh, I tried everything, but did not succeeded. I understand that the main layer of the the skirt has it's own inside part, which makes this ugly stripe But I couldn't delete this inside part. I tried, but ... I do not understand how to separate it from the main skirt.
I uploaded the mesh - http://www.inbeatz.com/mesh1.zip
if anyone could help - it would be so great ! but I would also learn how to do it myself

Наталья, я вроде как поняла всё, т.е. с созданием изнаночного меша юбки проблем вроде бы нет, проблема в удалении этого подгиба. никак понять не могу как его удалить. и ещё смущает, что когда я делаю изнаночный меш, то на задней части тоже появляется "перехлёст".
пысы, мне можно на ты )
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 5:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by inspire84
I do not understand how to separate it from the main skirt.

It is done by means of Tools \Selection Editor.
Позже посмотрю меш, напишу еще.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 7:08 PM
oh, thanks! that is really what I need ! ))
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 8:33 PM
It is a mesh without strips.
Прицепила его к своему платью - полос в BodyShop не видно. Посмотри, если у тебя они появятся, значит проблема в чем то еще.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  mesh2.zip (106.4 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 8:37 PM
huge thanks !!!
просто огромнейшее спасибо !
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 9:09 AM
So I finally managed to make everything myself ! Huge thanks to everyone who helped me here ! ))
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 6:57 PM
I'm sorry to bother you again ))
I have another problem. I removed the strange stripes, then I created the inside part of the skirt. but in the end it looks like this

and alpha is set totally white, it shouldn't be transparent
when the alpha is grey then everything looks OK.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 12:18 AM
The transparency can be set in Material Definition (TXMT) in your .package.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 6:52 AM
I know, but can I make a mesh, that will be both transparent and non transparent ? )) I mean if I set white alpha in BS - the mesh will be not transparent, if i make it gray - it will be partly transparent.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 1st Dec 2007 at 12:25 PM
It is necessary to look in a package created in BS.
Не глядя - ничего не могу сказать.