Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Sep 2013 at 11:18 PM
Default Help please! Milkshape crashing when using Sims 2 Unimesh Bone Tool!
Hello, please could someone help?

Today I have been trying to do a shoe swap. I have been able to do it with no problems in the past. But today,when I try to use the Sims 2 Unimesh Bone Tool, I get a pop-up saying 'Milkshape is not working, Windows will close the program' or something like that. The only option is to close. I have tried about 5 times now, and I keep getting the same thing.

Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Sep 2013 at 3:38 AM
Are you running Windows 7? The Bone Tool does not work with Windows 7.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#3 Old 6th Sep 2013 at 7:23 AM Last edited by leefish : 6th Sep 2013 at 4:18 PM.
I am successfully using the Unimesh plugins including the bone tool on Win7. I did suddenly start having an issue with the bone tool on a recent project because the mesh I was frankensteining was actually horribly broken on export. You might want to go back to an earlier version of the mesh - or try exporting the mesh and look to see how it is on import.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Sep 2013 at 2:53 PM
Thanks for answering.

Fakepeeps-Yes I am using Windows 7, but I've done lots of shoe swaps before using the bone tool, and it has worked fine. This was about 5 months ago, and then yesterday was the first time I have used Milkshape since then.

leefish-Thankyou, I will try again tomorrow. When I first noticed the problem, I hadn't saved or exported, so I did start again 3 or 4 times before I realised it was happening at the same point, and then I saved it before using the bone tool. But now you've got me thinking, maybe the extracted GMDC's didn't extract properly, I might try starting right at the beginning.

To be honest I took a chance and just carried on making the outfit. It's only for me, and it looks fine in game. The place where I cut is mid-calf, so 99% of the time, I have found that when I do cut there, the bone assignments are fine and it's just a check. But I would like to solve the problem rather than work around it.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Sep 2013 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leefish
I am successfully using the Unimesh plugins including the bone tool on Win7.

How do you do this? I was under the understanding that the Bone Tool runs "on top of" something else in MilkShape, and that this isn't compatible with Windows 7. I used to use the Bone Tool all the time when I had Windows XP, but I haven't been able to use it since getting Windows 7. It crashes the entire application if I try to change a bone assignment or weight. I was told this was normal, and there was nothing that could be done about it.

I really miss the Bone Tool. Changing bone assignments one at a time with Extended Manual Edit is a pain in the butt.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#6 Old 6th Sep 2013 at 8:00 PM
I use Milkshape 1.8.5 BETA and it has always worked for me.

I also found that using the Vertex data merge carried the bone data over (I don't know how that would work for kids) and so I just did not use it much. When I did use the bone tool (before I started doing all my editing in the 3D window and Vertex data merge) it worked. I know fanseelamb said something about bone tool misbehaving and she uses Win7.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 12:00 AM
I also had many problems with windows 7 64bit and the bonetool, tried all kind of things(installing mesa drivers etc etc)
I gave up on it a year ago.
Then(bout 3 months ago) i gave it another try and have not had crashes since.

Unfortunate i could not pinpoint wat it was in the past causing these crashes.
But i would get all windows 7 updates, latest graphic drivers, frame network+updates etcetc.
I also started using the BETA 1.8.5 version so maybe chumbalum has fixed the plugin themselves.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 6:40 AM
Thanks, I have tried installing updates etc. I have a thing called PC Unleashed which cleans and stuff, I ran that but it didn't work. My Milkshape is the 1.8.5 version. I'm going to try again tomorrow, fingers crossed.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 9:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leefish
I use Milkshape 1.8.5 BETA and it has always worked for me.

I also found that using the Vertex data merge carried the bone data over (I don't know how that would work for kids) and so I just did not use it much. When I did use the bone tool (before I started doing all my editing in the 3D window and Vertex data merge) it worked. I know fanseelamb said something about bone tool misbehaving and she uses Win7.

I do use Vertex Data Merge all the time, and it works fine for copying bone assignments when I'm Frankensteining (even for kids). My problem is that I often want to change a whole bunch of bone assignments (like, say, if I've taken a bow from a Sim's back waist area and I want to move it to the front neck area). The Bone Tool is much easier for doing stuff like that, reassigning all the bones and weights.

I'm only running version 1.8.4 of MilkShape, though. I guess the new version is worth a try!
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 11:55 AM
I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the new version, if you don't mind posting here again when you've tried it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 6:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
I really miss the Bone Tool. Changing bone assignments one at a time with Extended Manual Edit is a pain in the butt.

Hello, sorry to necro the thread, but I've been doing another project today and am still getting the crashing. To be honest I had sort of hoped if I ignored it, it would go away! But no such luck.

So I just wanted to ask, how do you change them with Extended Manual Edit? I'm relatively new to meshing, so I want to check everything 20 times.

Thanks
Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 7:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dizzy-noodles
So I just wanted to ask, how do you change them with Extended Manual Edit?

There's a tab within Extended Manual Edit for the bone assignments and weights, so make sure it's selected. You can unselect the other tabs to make it easier to look at; you don't want to change things like vertex position or normals anyway, right?

The way I do it is to select one vertex that has the correct bone assignments and weights, and then select one other vertex that I want to change. Then I just copy and paste from one to the other. Don't select too many vertices at once or you'll confuse yourself. It's a really labour-intensive way of doing things, but (unfortunately) it's one of the only options left if we can't use the Bone Tool.

(Example: When I did The Hive, I had to assign bones to the little white balls on the ends of the antennae. Spheres have a lot of vertices, so it was copy-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste-etc. With the Bone Tool, it would have been two clicks for each ball. )
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 11:24 AM
Oh thankyou. No I don't think so, not for what I'm doing.

It's annoying me because it worked before, several times, and now I can't use it at all. I keep thinking it's due to an update or something that's snuck into my computer somehow, but I know absolutely nothing about computers and don't know how to check/fix it.

Aah I love The Hive, I've got loads of little bees in my game, thankyou for taking the trouble to make it!
Sockpuppet
#14 Old 22nd Sep 2013 at 2:16 PM
The Beta version didn't fix the issue?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#15 Old 22nd Sep 2013 at 3:45 PM
Can't you also use Milkshape's native joint weighting tool, on the joints tab? It's not as powerful, but it gets the job done.

I too use Milkshape with Bone Tool on Win7 64-bit, and although I do occasionally get crashes when using BoneTool, they're usually transient and often caused by the mesh rather than the program. But, I know a lot of people have had trouble. Has anyone tried running MS in compatibility mode?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 23rd Sep 2013 at 1:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Has anyone tried running MS in compatibility mode?

Yep. I tried all the "fixes" back when I first installed MilkShape on my Windows 7 machine. Nothing worked. I can get the Bone Tool to open, so I can at least see the bone assignments and weights. The problem comes when I try to apply changes and commit. Crash!

I still haven't gotten around to trying the other version of MilkShape. Gotta find my serial number, blah, blah, blah. I'm too lazy at the moment to be bothered.
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Sep 2013 at 9:26 AM
I haven't tried compatibility mode for this problem yet, but I did try it for a problem I was having running otome games, and it did absolutely nothing at all.

It won't even open anymore for me, as soon as I select the bone tool, it crashes.

I think mine is the latest version, I only got it in March/April time. It did work at first though, which is why I suspect my laptop just hates me!

Actually does anyone know how to restore my computer to March? I just suddenly wondered if that might work. I haven't created any restore points manually though, so unless the computer has, it might not be possible.
Sockpuppet
#18 Old 23rd Sep 2013 at 6:19 PM
Try MilkShape 3D 1.8.5 BETA1, pretty sure it fixed the issue.
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Sep 2013 at 9:02 PM
Mine is 1.8.5, and it did work at first, it just isn't now.