Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2006 at 1:59 PM
Default Help! Als shoes Mesh!
Hi I've been trying to make a new mesh using als shoes but am having a problem.
I'm referencing from 2 tutorials
here.......
http://www.simskins.net/2_Tutorial_Add_Shoes_02.html
And here......
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=179177

And I'm using milkshape/unimesh plugins.

Im having trouble making the bone assisignments. In al's tutorial it says
"Select the right calf and assign it to r_calf"

How exactly do I do this?

Or using tiggerypum's tutorial in greater detial how do I make the bone assisidnments match the ones from a maxis mesh, do I select each vertex separatly the copy the assisignments using unimesh bone assisignment tool, if so how do I do this for the shoe?

Hope someone can help
Thanks
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 19th Nov 2006 at 3:57 PM
to assign you simply go to vertex and choose sims2unimeshbone tool and add values and assign..
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#3 Old 20th Nov 2006 at 12:40 AM
Do not follow the tutorial at simskins _at all_

Is is bad, wrong, outdated and will do ugly things to your Unimesh file.

Do the unimesh tutorials here. Unimesh tutorial #3 has the info you'll need. But make sure to do the others to learn all the bits you need to. If you're having too much confusion still with Al's shoes, do the unimesh #3 as written first, so that you go through it once and can follow exactly.

Then if you still have some questions, please ask again. To properly do the bone assignments on Al's shoes, you should look at the bone assignments on some Maxis shoes and reproduce them onto Al's.

Hmm, looking at the end of the tutorial, I didn't put the *don't use the tutorial at simskins* there in big bold. So I will add that.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#4 Old 9th Dec 2006 at 4:07 AM
problemm
Hello!
My problem this in the first step when I am going to concern mesh to milkshape with unimesh leaves the blue marks to me and I cannot clear them to see, is some solution? if I concern it as obj appears to me fallen down and nonstraight that I make bad?

Thanks
Alchemist
#5 Old 9th Dec 2006 at 4:41 AM
O.K. The blue lines are actually the joints, but the default size in MilkShape makes them very big. Go to the File menu and select Preferences... and when that opens click on the "misc" tab and change the "Joint Size" value to 0.01

The blue lines will now be small blue circles centered at each joint.

Your .obj problem is because you have to pick the XZY option in SimPE when exporting because the game and MilkShape use different coordinate systems. The UniMesh plugins just convert the coordintes automatically.

If you are going to try to make anything animated (people or objects), then the .obj format is not the one to use, because it will not transfer the joints/bones, and animation depends on these joints being defined.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
#6 Old 9th Dec 2006 at 5:52 AM
Very many thanks for your aid!
Test Subject
#7 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 12:10 AM
hello I have another problem again once I have finished with the tutorial to add the shoes and go to SimPE says the clothes tutorial to me that extracts gmcd and that loaded the file of milkshape and soon gmcd and later keeps it, I do it but mesh leaves totally deformed.

thanks
Alchemist
#8 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 3:13 AM
I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to follow what part of the tutorial you meant and what the result looked like.

Maybe you could copy and paste the exact portion you are trying to describe (not the whole tutorial, please), and then attach a screenshot of what "totally deformed" looks like.

<* Wes *>

Test Subject
#9 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 3:40 AM
hello thanks already this exports with unimesh now the problem in which it leaves different color and the fingers are not defined in the hands.

Thank you very much by all your aid.
Alchemist
#10 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 3:56 AM
Well, one thing wrong is that it looks like you still have Autosmooth (in the groups tab) checked. I know you are a new user of MilkShape because you were using the default joint size just the other day, so you probably missed the postings, but Autosmooth creates lots of problems for body meshes.

You may have some skin weights over or under 100%. You can go through all the assignments manually adjusting them or you can use the 'Fix Underweighted Bones' plugin, located in the Vertex menu.

And you are to be congratulated for getting the mesh to show up, even if it is still not quite right. Most new meshers get stumped before this, or fail to get the shoes attached.

<* Wes *>

Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#11 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 4:47 AM
Alman,

You're doing well, but it's pretty obvious that you decided to try to jump right to 'unimesh 3' tutorial level edits without actually doing the first tutorials. All the mistakes you've made are covered in the tutorials and in the infocenter.

To get rid of those seams, you are best off to start over. Course, you would have found that out with a lot less time lost had you done the first tutorial and had the mesh come out with seams, instead of this much more edited mesh.

I'd request you humor me and actually do tutorial #2 and #3 as written (after double checking your settings that are covered in tutorial #1) Once you have covered all that material, then go back and restart this mesh - then it will be much easier to help you with whatever remaining issues you're having

(for instance, the color being in the wrong area is a uvmap issue, and part of that is in tutorial #2 and then there's another nice little tutorial of dr pixel's that I can point at once you have experience of #2 to explain what you still need to do) I know tutorial projects might not be exactly what you want to make, but the experience and explanations presented should help you in learning what you'll need for your more advanced project.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Test Subject
#12 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 4:59 AM
Hello thank you
now I have another problem cn the tutorial of simskins xD in step 6 I select the points but not where I must give to him so that they are united. thanks!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#13 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 6:35 AM
DO NOT USE THE SIMSKINS TUTORIAL. In the section about 'Al's Shoes' at the end of the tutorial #3 I say that - the simskins tutorial is outdated and designed for a previous editing plugin for milkshape.

I'm going to say it again. Go back and DO UNIMESH tutorial #2 and tutorial #3, as written. I spend a LONG TIME writing them and explaining things. I'm not going to rewrite and explain what I have already taught because you don't want to do them.

Test Subject
#14 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 7:16 AM
It pardons as soon as I understand much of English will watch thanks!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#15 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 7:41 AM
Alman, I'm sorry, it's just too hard to explain everything at once. So do please do the tutorials, between the pictures and the words I hope it will help, and then there will be a lot less for me to explain.

No crying please. You are doing very very well for a beginner.

Test Subject
#16 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 6:24 PM
Thanks to all to help me
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 1:34 AM
neck
Hello I exactly make the tutorial of simskins but the neck remains a little opened in the image is seen. Aid!

please

*}·SeluXereZ·{*
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#18 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 2:48 PM
SeluXereZ,

Did you read this thread? See Message #13. Did you take your sim into the game?

I don't know what you mean by 'did the tutorial at SimSkins', but that is a BAD tutorial and it will not work well with Unimesh. Are you using Unimesh? You should not see a neck gap anymore, that issue was _fixed_ with this new tool.