Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2006 at 9:22 PM
Default 3D studio max trial - is there a way t0 use gmdc files?
Hi guys!

So yeah, my Milkshape trial ended....

So I downloaded a 3d studio Max trial! (I'm in for something lol)
Don't worry, I will buy Milkshape as soon as i get some money There's no way in heck I can afford the whole thing anyway :D

In the mean time, does anyone know if there is somekind of plugin I can use to import gmdc files? Since .obj files don't work for some reason (probably because it's a trial) but I really want to finish that stupid hairmesh

Please *begs* I have only 29 days left!

Thank you!

Greetz from Nouk

Please visit WickedNoukFamily Forum for my creations.
Can't take requests, I'm completely swamped with unfinished projects! :O
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 12:32 AM
I don't know of anything useful GMAX is good for, except, perhaps, learning how to run 3D Studio Max. The plugin interface and virtually all the import/export formats are disabled, and the save format is a proprietary, encrypted format.

Autodesk must have wanted to make sure they didn't lose any revenue by offering anything valuable in a trial software package.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Scholar
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 5:42 AM
Wes, I believe if you have one of the 3d games that Gmax was designed to support you do get a working import/export (for that particular game only of course) Gmax was designed as a "game" editor - the game developers pay them some sort of royalty or fee to have their game supported, and in exchange they could advertise a free 3d editor to the game players. And yes of course they also hope you will eventually move up to 3d Max.

That doesn't do us much good, since the Sims2 isn't one of those games.

But there is a game that uses the .smd file format which is also supported in the MeshTool - the bad news is that it would probably cost more to get that game (HalfLife I think) than to pay the MilkShape registration, although definately much less than shelling out for 3d Max.

But, you can get the XSI ModTool free - it also supports .smd files, and people have successfully used it along with the MeshTool to alter Sims2 body meshes - I think it would work for hair too. See the Tutorials section for more information.
Alchemist
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 9:12 AM
Well, I knew about the special plugin port they added to GMAX, and the rumored $80K that is required to get the interface specs and license the use of the port, but none of that is of much use to Sims 2 modding (unless you have a spare $80K lying around you don't have any plans for).
I didn't think of steering her to the XSI program. Because of it's size, I never downloaded it on my creaky and painfully slow dialup connection, and thus have never had the chance to use it.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 1:06 PM
Thank you for the information :D

*Puts 80K back in trustfund for future kid*

I'll go check out what the XSI program is all about. :P
By the way I tried Blender for about 40 minutes (and got angry)... when I export my hairmesh to .obj in Simpe, and opened it there, it had lost all its groups. Will it be the same with the meshtool, when I export it into obj. ?
I would try it out, but I'm not at home right now

Greetz from Nouk and thanks again!

Scholar
#6 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 6:20 PM
I don't know much about Blender - I tried it too for a short time (also got angry) and never did figure out how to even get the .obj file to export.

In any case, with Blender you would be restricted to simply moving the existing vertices around a bit, since there is no .smd file import/export for it (that I know of)

If you are going to try learning a complicated 3d program to make hair or clothing, I'd stick with XSI ModTool - it's just as complicated as Blender, but it is able to import/export .smd files so you will have full editing capabilities with it.
Scholar
#7 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 6:26 PM
tutorial for making objects with 3d max here : http://www.pandorasims.net/tutorials2.html
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 6:27 PM
Thank you, dr Pixel!

I have downloaded it on my boyfriends computer (I'll have to remove it again because it is indeed huge). I have done a quick look over and haven't found the .smd import thing yet... I guess I'll have to register at home and see what they offer me with the game modification thing I get to choose.

So this is entirely free? Wow! *Happy dance*

Thanks again!!
I have noticed you and Wes spend alot of time to help people out with meshing, all for free, and I hope you know you are very much appriciated by all of us!
I hope to one day help you back (alltough maybe not with meshing lol)if possible

Greetz from Nouk

@ Tornado: Thanks for the link! Allthough I have only a trial version wich probably can't do anything lol Others will find it very useful!

Scholar
#9 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 5:34 AM
The .smd import/export is found in the "valve source" add-on for XSI ModTool - it is also free, but you have to go back to their website and get it in order to import/export .smd files. I don't remember the exact procedure any more, it was a long time ago I got it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Feb 2006 at 1:03 AM
Thank u so much! I've donwloaded both! Now we'll see if i can get it to work

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 22nd Apr 2006 at 11:29 PM
the plugin you need to get Gmax to import .obj files can be found here.

Diamond

Diamond Sims
**Will take Re-color request - All my Custom Content may be used in uploaded lots to MTS2 and TSR ONLY!**
~*~
Diamond
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#12 Old 23rd Apr 2006 at 2:47 AM
Nouk there's a... semi tutorial for xsi in the tutorials area. I have no idea if it will be useful for hair meshes at all, with the groups. I used it for body meshing.

Xsi can also be used with the newer import/export from SimPE directly. I just haven't had time to explore that yet - doing tutorials and such takes a ton of time.
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 11:39 PM
Hi guys! I dumped xsi long ago, I just couldn't figure it out... I now have a shiny milkshape installed again
But thanks anyway, this shoudl help others out as well

Test Subject
#14 Old 3rd Nov 2007 at 1:25 PM
I have a full version of 3Ds max but I still cant figure out how to open GMDC files...Is somekind`a plugin required for it?
Instructor
#15 Old 3rd Nov 2007 at 8:28 PM
You need to export\import mesh subset(s) from GMDC, not entire GMDC.
For boneless objects, you can use built-in 3DS format.
For boned objects (i.e clothing, hair, accessories, and some objects like armoires), you can use smd format. It's included in SimPE, but not included in Max, and here comes problem. If you have Max of version up to 8, you can use Cannonfodder's plugins. If you have Max 9, then you have to wait - its owners report that Cannonfodder plugins don't work for it There's exporter for Max 9 here, but no importer.
Test Subject
#16 Old 3rd Nov 2007 at 10:22 PM
Default Damn,Im out of luck
Thanks for the information ,and,yeah,I unfortunately DO have 3Ds max 9 !xD
Ill be patient!Thanks,again..
Test Subject
#17 Old 3rd Nov 2007 at 10:25 PM
And,sorry,I forgot to ask:Is there a plug-in for 3D studio max for opening MDX extension?