Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 4:42 PM
Default terminolgy
I am trying to find tutorials on getting sims to interact with objects. For instance, I would like for a sim to walk to a table, jump on it, and lie down. Another action is I would like to have a sims swing on a rope.

But I have no idea how to search for it. I don't know what key word or phrase to use. I've found "Alpha", "Interaction", and so forth.

Is there a place where I can look for terms for future projects?
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 6:07 PM
Try "animation".
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 7:27 PM
I know how to animate a sim. I have both SimPE and Milkshape. What I can't find is how to make a sim to interact with the object.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 7:34 PM
Ahh, what you want is Echo's basic BHAV tutorial, which teaches exactly that.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=142907

I'll also move your post to Modding Discussion. There'll probably be other interesting threads in there for ya to read about BHAVs.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 8:23 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out. I've seen BHAV but I never could find out what it meant.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 2:44 PM
Default "Need more input"
Okay, I've looked through some of the mod section and I am not seeing something else I am looking for. Probably because I don't know what phrase to search for.

How do I create an object or change a mesh if I want to connect the hands or ankles together. For instance, for a prison theme I may want to put a prisoner in shackles. Or for a kidnap scene having the sim tied.

How do I do this or look it up?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#7 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 2:27 AM
tanina, to do that you would need to learn some object meshing (to create the actual shape of the shackles), some sim animating (to create the pose for the sim while he or she is shackled), and some BHAV modding (to link the two together and make them usable)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 10:27 PM
Echo,

Thanks. So what I need to search for is Mesh Creation? Thank you for the lead.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#9 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 10:37 PM
"Object Meshing" is the standard term.
Try this list: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ation_Tutorials
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Nov 2010 at 7:51 PM
Okay, I know I am in the wrong section for this question but it's the only place I can find to type in a thread. This site isn't too user friendly when it comes to someone wanting to post a question. I certainly can't find it.

My question is...is there a way to save your activated cheats when you close the game so you don't have to reactivate them over and over as you come back to the game? I saw something about that a couple of months ago but didn't write down the info and now I can't find it.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#11 Old 20th Nov 2010 at 8:26 PM
Help > Sims 2 > Gameplay Guide FAQs > Userstartup.cheat

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Nov 2010 at 4:12 AM
Eureka! That's it. Thanks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Nov 2010 at 1:56 PM
Nope, not working, I think. If I understand the info given correctly I am supposed to open the userStartup.cheat file and add each cheat line by line, then save the file (not in .txt format). I did that and it's evident some of the cheats don't reactivate. I can't tell about the "aging off" cheat because it takes time to notice that one (a looonng time). But the snapObjects cheat doesn't activate and I can't tell if the maxMotive is on. Any ideas?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Jan 2011 at 10:34 PM
Default Anyone???
It's been a couple of months and so far no reply. So I thought I'll try again.

I still can't get the cheat file to work. I have made sure the commands are correct. But whenever I load up a game it seems the cheat file is ignored. Any ideas out there?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 16th Jan 2011 at 10:51 PM
Make sure the file extension is .cheat and not .cheat.txt.

Also, if you post the contents of your userstartup.cheat file here, we can take a look at it. If you have one line incorrect then the rest will be ignored.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Jan 2011 at 10:56 PM
Default Thanks for getting back
It's ".cheat", no txt at the end. The following is in the file...

boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true
boolProp allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true
motiveDecay off
nosound
PlumbBobToggle off
maxMotives
motiveDecay off
boolProp snapObjectsToGrid false
moveObjects on
aging off
boolProp constrainFloorElevation false
addneighborToFamilyCheat on
lockAspiration on
boolProp Locktiles false
showHeadlines off

This is for Sims 2, by the way.

Also, I am trying to find another thread I was involved in a few months ago but I can't seem to find it. Is there a way to view threads I've been active in? I've been looking for a few hours now.

Thanks for the help.
Site Helper
#17 Old 16th Jan 2011 at 11:31 PM
As soon as the game finds one command which it doesn't understand, it ignores the rest of the file. Which is the first cheat which doesn't seem to be working?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#18 Old 17th Jan 2011 at 12:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tanina
motiveDecay off
maxMotives
motiveDecay off
aging off
lockAspiration on
showHeadlines off

I have a feeling that all of these are lot specific, so cannot be used in a userstartup. Try taking these out and trying again.

addneighborToFamilyCheat on

Not sure on that one, what does that do?
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#19 Old 17th Jan 2011 at 2:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wiki
Plumbbobtoggle [on/off]
Toggles display of the plumbbob. Will not work in a userstartup.cheat file; must be entered in-game.

-Wiki (emphasis added)

Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I have a feeling that all of these are lot specific, so cannot be used in a userstartup. Try taking these out and trying again.

Not sure on that one, what does that do?

simsample, it enables an interaction on non-controllable Sims to add them to your family.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 12:12 AM
Default New question
Thanks for the feedback about the .cheat file. Since it seems half of what I want in it can't be in it then it's useless for me at this time.

I don't know about you guys and gals but I am having a very difficult time of finding where I can start a new thread, or post. The site isn't too friendly there.

I can't find the thread I was involved with a few months ago and it had the answers I am currently looking for.

I created a sims animation sitting, and like others, it's floating in the air. I know there is a way to use SimPE to lower it but I cannot find the command for it. I know it has something to do with root_trans or the other root_"whatever".

Any ideas here? Or do I need to go back to Milkshape and lower each frame to the proper level?
Site Helper
#21 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 12:27 AM
On your profile page, you can view all of your previous posts. That should help you to find the thread with the answers.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 3:49 AM
Mootilda, I found that option. It doesn't list the other thread. Could the thread been deleted and that's why I can't find it?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 1:10 PM
Default floating sims
Anyway, is there anyone out there who can help me to stop my Sims from floating? I can't find the "trans" listing in Simpe.
Site Helper
#24 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 2:42 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 21st Jan 2011 at 5:52 PM.
is there a way to save your activated cheats when you close the game so you don't have to reactivate them over and over as you come back to the game?
Anyway, is there anyone out there who can help me to stop my Sims from floating?
I don't understand what your questions have to do with "Miscellaneous - terminolgy".
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 2:13 PM
I can't find where to post a new thread in Mod The Sims. I checked the usual places where forums have a "Post" option but it's not there. I always have a hard time finding it. In fact, I only found it once. I figured someone will direct me to the correct thread to post the question (it happened before) and I could go from there. I can reply, just not post.
Page 1 of 2