Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd May 2019 at 11:44 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Apartment Life
Default Trying to Make an Attic without cheats & guide has broke pictures, need advice?
So I've been trying to make an attic, and I can't make heads or tails of plasticbox's guide that involves using one of the build cheats, so I found a guide on here that was for making an attic Seasons compatible, for the added bonus of having more wall to hopefully get a window up on (I'm working on a cabin that will have a lab up in the attic and want a nice circle window close to the peak of the roof.) And since this guide talks about using normal walls, I thought it'd be great!

However, the guide right here has lost it's pictures and I've tried to follow the text but I'm kind of lost... The roof just doesn't want to make new tiles over the new walls, I've even pulled out the roof and made the initial roof a tile longer then then actual roof i add after, and nada. just a hole over my new walls when I make a new roof. It's kinda a bummer and if anyone has any advice I'd love it.

I'd add pictures but my net isn't playing nice with uploads atm, but I'll try again in a bit. I'm using the ultimate collection from origin. Thank you for the help if possible, or if there's a guide out there I haven't found yet that would help.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 23rd May 2019 at 6:31 AM
I make attics often, basically using Plasticbox's method. I can also (because I already understand) follow the method in the other guide, which is much the same really. I may be able to help you, but it's hard to tell with just the words to go on.. If you still can't post pictures, maybe you can post a copy of the lot for me/someone to look at. I have the UC, so there should be no compatibility issue with your lot.

In the meantime, I suggest you make sure your have a floor grid showing for your upper roof to sit on. If the grid isn't flat, things won't work. CFE cheat may be needed to flatten it, or often, placing a floortile on whatever grid you have will make the next section of grid appear. CFE shouldn't be needed if you haven't actually messed up the grid. Sometimes the grid just...vanishes...for reasons of its own, in which case adding floor tiles should bring it back.

The only other reason I can think of for a hole in the roof above your walls, would be another layer of roof which is shadowing out that section. Without seeing the build, I can't tell what you have going on.

Try again with the pictures!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 23rd May 2019 at 6:34 AM
If using the new uploader, select the file then click upload. So two steps. make sure the picture isn't too large and is an acceptable file extension like png or jpg.

If using the old uploader, click where it says use the old one and select your picture again making sure its a file extension the site will use.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#4 Old 23rd May 2019 at 7:51 AM
Default Multi-Roof Attics - New images - no CFE required
I have reproduced the method I think is shown in that guide, making new pictures. Attaching them here, for now, but probably we want a revised tutorial if people are needing help to figure out this method. It didn't seem right to add my pics to the old guide, but I can post them there instead if people think that better.

I think the pictures should be self-explanatory. Some things to be aware of:
- Note that I have marked the first three wall sections at each side of the attic with wallpaper - that area remains open to the weather.
- Note that the grid above the attic is missing until side walls are added.
- On a house this size, with the roof broadside-on, the finished attic has plenty of space for windows, as you see in the final image. A narrower gable will mean a smaller usable area.
- You can increase your usable attic space by using a steeper roof angle.
- You can achieve an almost identical effect by building the attic room, then adding three roof sections - a half-roof (shed roof) on either side, and the same small gable roof on top.

Maybe this will solve your difficulty!
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd May 2019 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
If using the new uploader, select the file then click upload. So two steps. make sure the picture isn't too large and is an acceptable file extension like png or jpg.

If using the old uploader, click where it says use the old one and select your picture again making sure its a file extension the site will use.

Thank you for the info! I think I missed seeing the image uploader on here yesterday, I was trying to upload to an external site to host an image, and use the insert image function because that's what I have to do on a different forum I'm on, and my net was timing out on that. I see it now, thank you!
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
I have reproduced the method I think is shown in that guide, making new pictures. Attaching them here, for now, but probably we want a revised tutorial if people are needing help to figure out this method. It didn't seem right to add my pics to the old guide, but I can post them there instead if people think that better.

I think the pictures should be self-explanatory. Some things to be aware of:
- Note that I have marked the first three wall sections at each side of the attic with wallpaper - that area remains open to the weather.
- Note that the grid above the attic is missing until side walls are added.
- On a house this size, with the roof broadside-on, the finished attic has plenty of space for windows, as you see in the final image. A narrower gable will mean a smaller usable area.
- You can increase your usable attic space by using a steeper roof angle.
- You can achieve an almost identical effect by building the attic room, then adding three roof sections - a half-roof (shed roof) on either side, and the same small gable roof on top.

Maybe this will solve your difficulty!

Thank you! I got it to work, the images being missing made it harder for me to parse the text, and so the new screenshots helped immensely.
Scholar
#6 Old 23rd May 2019 at 6:47 PM
Good suggestions here !

Another method I do is to make sure the 'move objects on' cheat is off.... then I place furniture like couches along the edge..... and wherever they don't fit is where sims can't go.

Also, some roofs that cannot be raised --- CAN be raised if done asap.
It's weird, but some building rules are not unbreakable.

" Inama Nushif "
Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd May 2019 at 7:08 PM
aelflaid: in the 5th pic, that upper space under the eaves...how did you close it in? does it take a WALL on top? but wouldn't that show above the roof?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Test Subject
#8 Old 23rd May 2019 at 9:31 PM
I think he placed a new roof on top of the new walls
Alchemist
#9 Old 24th May 2019 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
aelflaid: in the 5th pic, that upper space under the eaves...how did you close it in? does it take a WALL on top? but wouldn't that show above the roof?

@grammapat: the sixth image shows how to deal with that space - put an extra roof over that section. It should meld invisibly with your original roof. Of course you can use a different roof style for an alternative look. This is why it is a multi-roof attic design.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 24th May 2019 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
@grammapat: the sixth image shows how to deal with that space - put an extra roof over that section. It should meld invisibly with your original roof. Of course you can use a different roof style for an alternative look. This is why it is a multi-roof attic design.
==
ahhh... but then the attic is not "weather tight" as that roof "wall" won't be seen as a wall. So still need another REAL wall inside that...?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Alchemist
#11 Old 24th May 2019 at 1:57 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 24th May 2019 at 2:17 AM.
No, it's fine because the attic room has normal walls surrounding it. The new gable roof is a separate level. Because you have a full grid above the attic, you can add a ceiling if you think the weather is still getting in, but I don't think it will.

If I recall correctly, the roof walls may even be weather proof - if you mod your walls.txt to make them buyable, you could seal the open roof edges with them at any wall height. I believe I did that, many years ago. Your attic could be sealed all the way to the edges, then.

I decided to write up a new tutorial to go with the new images: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post5531639