Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 2:48 PM
Default large mirror shift-enabled glitch
Perhaps this is a known problem - this was the first I had heard of it and I cannot recreate this in my own game. In my attempts to research this, I have not seen another thread, but perhaps I am not using the correct language/variant of 'shift-capable'.

I have a set out for testing which includes two mirrors. They are the same shape, just one is much larger. I have made these shift capable so they can be placed where the user prefers. A report came back that the large mirror causes two problems. Sims sink into the ground a tiny bit (their feet disappear) when they step in front of the mirror. That's bad enough for me to simply take the shift-ability of this mirror off (this particular problem is only on the large mirror) but both mirrors if you shift the mirror while a sim is looking into it, they shift with the mirror. (this might be only when they are on the second floor? One report stated that they dropped to the level below them when stepping away from the mirror - I tested only on the first floor)

I sort of 'get' the second part of this - if something is in use and you move it - they'd be tethered together in theory. I am stumped as to why a shift enabled mirror would cause a sim to dip into the floor at its normal height. (this was cloned on two different bases with the same results)

It was suggested that a mod could be causing this problem - but someone else was able to recreate this in their mod free game - I cannot recreate this in my own game which is also mod free.

Of course, the first solution is to simply not make them shiftable. That's fine. I'm hoping that there is a different solution. Options in game are a nice thing.

I work mostly with workshop, can edit with the S3PE plug in. Anyone with any information regarding either issue - thank you. I can sort of live with the shift while using issue, but the sink into the floor at regular height issue is a big drag.
Screenshots

Nothing lasts forever . . . except poetry readings.
b5Studio
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 3:16 PM
it is most likly caused by the mirrors bounding box, check its measurments and adjust to see if it improves.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 4:54 PM
You're probably shifting its routing slot too, though why that doesn't affect pictures normally, I don't know. Maybe the routing slots need to be outside the node hierarchy the shifting starts from.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 9:01 PM
Thank you both. I ultimately went back into milkshape and applied a new joint from a different EA mirror base that appears to have cleared up the sinking in front of the large mirror. Probably user error - I'll own it - it was simply strange, but it has tested well since the correction.

As for the shifting - this was a completely new one on me - I must confess that I don't actually use the interactions with mirrors so I have learned that this is across the board with all mirrors that shift - I guess this is the reason EA doesn't offer them. While I could move the mirror with a cheat while it was being interacted with, I guess it is when they return to the mirror for another round of primping that they suddenly jump to the correct height for the animations. A drag, and perhaps someone with considerably more know-how in this arena will offer a solution to it - simply ticking off the move up and down feature or marking it true isn't going to cut it.

Thanks again!

Nothing lasts forever . . . except poetry readings.
b5Studio