Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 10:42 AM
Default Neighborhood Shuffling...?
I hope this is where this question would go...

I downloaded a neighborhood from here that I really love. So much, that I'd like some of my exsisting sims to move into it. Is there a way to make my neighborhood download into one of the shopping districts in my current neigborhood?

If this is not the place to post this question, please help with some guidance. Thanks!
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 12:24 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 24th Mar 2009 at 12:30 PM.
You mean you want to add it as a shopping district, yes?

See the discussion in this thread: http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=319898
Post #165 and following (kremesch73, mangaroo, Mootilda).

This isn't a Build mode question, moving to general Help.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 2:31 PM
I didn't see a solution posted there (in a quick skim) but it definitely is possible, just a pain in the ass.

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...s_Neighborhoods

I did a not-quite-finished tutorial on adding Maxis neighborhoods as downtowns or shopping districts. It can work for custom neighborhoods - you just use the custom neighborhood in place of one of the Maxis templates. The not-quite-finished part only applies if the neighborhood you're wanting to combine has sims living in apartments.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 2:49 PM
mangaroo and kremesch both posted solutions -- mangaroo did it along the lines of the MATY tutorial they mention (tricking the game into thinking the new nhood is the business district template), kremesch by making a new subhood and replacing that.

I suppose the OP is talking about an uninhabited nhood, which makes things much easier.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

retired moderator
#5 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 3:33 PM
Ah, okay. Well, I'd just did a CTRL-F for those names and didn't see it - my reading comprehension fails sometimes. But anyway - the tutorial I did is basically the same as that MATY tutorial, just explained in more depth as I'd done the MATY tutorial for my megahoods and found it extremely confusing and frustrating.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 5:44 PM
I just tested this and updated this post accordingly -- if you only want to do this once, and with an uninhabited nhood that doesn't have any bells and whistles (story, etc) then you don't need to touch the templates at all. Make a random new subhood, copy the terrain/roads/deco, copy the lots.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 12:16 AM
Funny!! This is the exact neighborhood I want to add as a shopping district for Belladonna Cove! Although, I don't see a discussion thread there. Am I looking in the right place?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 12:16 AM
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 12:37 AM
Click on "Comments". Post #47 has the instructions, posts #165 ff the discussion. Be aware that this requires basic SimPE literacy (but so does the templates-replacing method that HP linked to).

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 1:31 AM
I'm trying out the first one you suggested above and I think my brain is bleeding!! LOL
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 1:41 AM
Oh... problem in part 3: " The last six suburb files, 004-009, are those that I made in Part 2." I only made one but have 004-006. What are the other two? Which is which?? Maybe I should stop now? LOL
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 1:44 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 25th Mar 2009 at 2:19 AM.
Please don't doublepost =) you can edit your posts.

ETA: actually .. this doesn't belong in Help either. Your game isn't broken, after all. Moving again, sorry for any inconvenience =).

Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#13 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 7:59 AM Last edited by J. M. Pescado : 25th Mar 2009 at 8:05 AM.
Be advised that trying to use a complex, pre-played neighborhood as a subhood template can cause major problems, as tokens which contain local NIDs will be invalid if moved to a new neighborhood using this method. If all you REALLY want is simply to extract a downloaded neighborhood terrain you like and make it either your CURRENT neighborhood with ALL your sims and houses intact, or to make it a subhood, try the "Neighborhood Terrain Surgery" technique instead, which will allow you to copy the roadmap, terrain, and decorations of another neighborhood onto an existing neighborhood or subhood, without screwing up Sim NIDs or existing houses. You may need to perform the process twice if houses end up embedded in terrain pits or jacked up on plateaus to correct deformed terrain.

The solution proposed by HP is a really BAD idea for someone of your apparent technical expertise and understanding, and will most likely end with screwing up your neighborhood and game in horrid and unspeakable ways. If you've already tried doing it, reload your backup. If you have no backup, you're SOL. :P

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 3:11 PM
JMP, the nhood she wants to attach is as empty as it can be -- if she only just downloaded it, then it has never been played.

But I agree that copying just the terrain and lots would be more straightforward in this case. HoodReplace does the same as "Neighborhood Terrain Surgery" btw.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 11:03 PM
ok, correction needed. "SHE" is a "HE"... that's me! Next, I got all the way to step 9 but can't even do this because there is no .sc4 file with Elsewhere. ARRRRGG!!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#16 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 11:18 PM
What would you need an .sc4 file for? HP says there's no mention of .sc4 in her tutorial ..

Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 1:54 AM
When I'm on part 7, #9, I go to add my first shopping district, and the only option is "add custom neighborhood". It then brings up the .sc4 files to choose from. Since I'm not making Strangetown or any of the other already made neighborhoods into my shopping district, I'm using "Elsewhere", it doesn't know what .sc4 file to use.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#18 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 2:28 AM
sne888, if you're following HP's tutorial and not seeing the option to add "Bluewater Village" (now Elsewhere) as a subhood, then you either skipped part 6, step 2 (moving Bluewater Village from your neighborhood folder) or you skipped part 7, step 8, where you modify Elsewhere's ID Number in SimPE to trick the game into thinking Elsewhere is the default shopping district template.
retired moderator
#19 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 2:29 AM
I think something must have gone wrong, sne, because on part 7, step 9, you shouldn't have to choose a list of SC4 files. You should see basically what the screenshot shows there for Strangetown, only for your custom 'hood. Did you remember to do part 6, where you remove the default sub-hood temporarily? If you don't do that, it won't let you attach more "defaults" - also double-check that the ID number part was done right in part 7 as if it's not seeing it with the proper ID, it won't let you attach it.

Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#20 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 2:54 AM
Was this downloaded neighborhood packed as a .SC4, or an NXXX? If it was a .SC4, choose it. If not, pick any SC4, it doesn't matter, then use Terrain Surgery to splice.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#21 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 3:03 AM
JMP, I believe you're mixing up two things here (thus confusing the poor OP even more): there are TWO ways to acheive the desired result -- either by tricking the game into accepting the complete NXXX as a template, or by attaching any random subhood and only copying the terrain and lots from NXXX. There's no reason on earth to do *both*. The OP is currently trying to do it the first way (via the template).

The neighbourhood in question is a NXXX, with lots. There is no .sc4.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 11:28 AM
I did do part 6, step 2. But let me ask this... In Part 7 - Add Strangetown as a Sub-Hood, am I really adding strangetown or Elsewhere? I did it using Elsewhere.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#23 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 11:37 AM
You should be adding Elsewhere (the set of files you dumped into Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Open For Business\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\B001). The game thinks this is Bluewater Village, but if you've replaced the files with the contents of pb's N515 and altered the Neighborhood ID in SimPE with the ID you extracted from the real Bluewater in 7.3, you should see Elsewhere's preview pic.

ETA: This presumes that you only want to add Elsewhere as a subhood and not Elsewhere + every Maxis hood. If you're adding Elsewhere and Strangetown and Veronaville, etc., then the hood you're adding simply depends on the order you choose to do it.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#24 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 11:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
JMP, I believe you're mixing up two things here (thus confusing the poor OP even more): there are TWO ways to acheive the desired result -- either by tricking the game into accepting the complete NXXX as a template, or by attaching any random subhood and only copying the terrain and lots from NXXX.
Turning an NXXX into a template and copying it that way will import a LOT of cruft into your neighborhood file. This is basically the wrong way to do it. Unless a neighborhood was specifically prepped for use as a template or you are prepared to do so yourself, you should always perform it by terrain surgery, not by templation.