Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Apr 2018 at 10:49 PM Last edited by Primavera : 9th May 2018 at 1:06 AM.
Default [SOLVED] Picking a Future Desktop
Hello! Just recently talks of getting a gaming computer has started and I've been searching around to find a good, but inexpensive, desktop, to run just the Sims 2, GIMP, BodyShop, SimPE, and many mods and CC. I initially plan to take out all the bloatware that comes with Windows 10 or possibly downgrade to Windows 7/8.1. Unfortunately I can't afford the $1k~ gaming computers so I have to stick in the $500~ range. I was thinking of building a desktop but I wanted to see if buying one would be a better alternative. I've found a few while scrolling through Best Buy, but I'm posting the links because copying/pasting would make this thread too long and I don't know how to put things under 'spoiler' yet:

1) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...p?skuId=6181800

2) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...p?skuId=5712951

3) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybert...p?skuId=4848822

4) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybert...p?skuId=5024904

5) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybert...p?skuId=5122802

These all have a CD drive because I still plan on collecting the remaining Sims 2 discs in case something may happen with Origin and the Sims 2: UC. These desktops can be upgraded with more RAM and all of them have AMD graphics; I personally never had a problem with AMD because my first laptop had AMD and the Sims ran fine, but I'm not against suggestions for better graphics. What do you guys think?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 27th Apr 2018 at 3:09 PM
The inspiron at $479.99 is the better deal of them. You should look into building your own though and compare prices.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Apr 2018 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ajaxsirius
The inspiron at $479.99 is the better deal of them. You should look into building your own though and compare prices.

It definitely is a better deal at the moment, and it can be upgraded to 32GB which is more than enough to run all the CC I want. I looked around different forums and most people said to not get a Dell to play Sims. I plan on only playing Sims 2, not 3 and 4, so maybe that'll be a huge difference. I never owned a Dell but I'll look more into it. And I'm looking up guides of how to build a computer, so I'm keeping my options open .
Scholar
#4 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 2:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Primavera
I looked around different forums and most people said to not get a Dell to play Sims. I plan on only playing Sims 2, not 3 and 4, so maybe that'll be a huge difference.
Yes it makes a huge difference. The sims 2 is a lot less demanding. Also you won't get a lot of performance out of a $500 machine, but you will get enough for the sims 2.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 3:07 AM
Yes it makes a huge difference. The sims 2 is a lot less demanding. Also you won't get a lot of performance out of a $500 machine, but you will get enough for the sims 2.

That's helpful . I can still afford the other desktops but the Dell is currently on the top of my list. I'm neutral about performance, so I don't think I'll be playing on ultra-high settings. I also found 3 HP Slimline desktops in Wal-Mart with the same price range as the Dell (one 4GB with 500GM hard drive, one with 8GB and 1TB hard drive, and another 8GB/1TB with a monitor included); I played Sims 2 on my first HP laptop and never had any major problems. Do you think they're capable of running the game? I know HP isn't favorable in the community but I'm just curious.
Scholar
#6 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 4:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Primavera
That's helpful . I can still afford the other desktops but the Dell is currently on the top of my list. I'm neutral about performance, so I don't think I'll be playing on ultra-high settings. I also found 3 HP Slimline desktops in Wal-Mart with the same price range as the Dell (one 4GB with 500GM hard drive, one with 8GB and 1TB hard drive, and another 8GB/1TB with a monitor included); I played Sims 2 on my first HP laptop and never had any major problems. Do you think they're capable of running the game? I know HP isn't favorable in the community but I'm just curious.

Without taking a closer look at the spec I wouldn't be able to tell for sure. In the past people didn't like slimline PCs because they had heat issues. I don't know if that's still true these days since CPUs use less power, but I wouldn't risk it. Also a slimline case hampers your ability to upgrade or replace parts.
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 4:35 AM
Without taking a closer look at the spec I wouldn't be able to tell for sure. In the past people didn't like slimline PCs because they had heat issues. I don't know if that's still true these days since CPUs use less power, but I wouldn't risk it. Also a slimline case hampers your ability to upgrade or replace parts.

Gotcha. And sorry for not including links. But duly noted!
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 3:39 PM
Okay after I did some reading it seems like people have problems with the Dell Inspiron desktop. I found another Inspiron desktop and it has a AMD Ryzen 5 processor. It's more expensive than all the options I have ($700~) but I'll include the link anyway: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...p?skuId=6136602
Scholar
#9 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 4:50 PM
They're both identical, except for the processor. I don't know if its worth an extra $220 when you're just going to be playing the sims 2. Where did you read people are having problems with it?
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 5:15 PM
They're both identical, except for the processor. I don't know if its worth an extra $220 when you're just going to be playing the sims 2. Where did you read people are having problems with it?

Yeah, that's true. I decided to look more into the reviews on Best Buy and most of the reviews aren't positive. I know I should take reviews with a grain of salt, but I still like that particular one. I just saw that the Ryzen processor got better reviews. While I did narrow my list down some, I still want to make sure I'm getting one that won't crash out of the box.
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 9th May 2018 at 1:29 AM Last edited by Primavera : 10th May 2018 at 4:07 PM.
Default different model
I'm marking this as solved; I went ahead and ordered the Dell Inspiron 5680 from HSN. I set it up so hopefully it'll work out for me .

EDIT: okay, the model I got is actually the Dell Inspiron 5675, although it was advertised on HSN as the 5680. Doesn't matter though, it runs fine thus far.

UPDATE: I had to call Tech Support because the computer went into Power Save mode and wouldn't wake up after I assembled it. Now it's updated but I'll have to find a way to stop the automatic updates because the computer shut down to update while I was in the middle of gameplay. I had to fix the resolution and graphics of the game but so far everything's running well. I'll have to find a little stand to sit the tower on because right now it's on the carpet under my desk. But the fans run quiet and everything's fast and smooth :D. Thank you for all your help @ajaxsirius!