Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1304
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 6631 (Who?), Viewed: 221122 times.
Search this Thread
Old 14th Jul 2018, 9:53 AM #6526
Orphalesion
Inventor

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 922


Yes, the avilability of downloads is the most pressing issue when breaking "Medieval Stereotypes". That's not a critique on the content creators, they are awesome but of course most of them will stick with what the largest amount of people might want, where enough references exists to get inpiraation from etc etc etc
Though i wish more Game of Thrones inspired clothing would be available, that show broke quite a few Medieval conventions;Targaryen and Lannister styles have Japanese elements, Tyrell style has Regency Era leanings etc. etc etc.

Avatar by MasterRed
Old 14th Jul 2018, 12:06 PM #6527
OnayaW
Instructor

Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 586
Thanks: 196 in 8 Posts
4 Achievements


Most of the male styles in sims 2 is already way outdated but the females is actually okay still...

i think this says more about fashion for females vs males to be honest...

I build small houses *^*
Old 14th Jul 2018, 6:34 PM #6528
Bulbizarre
Mad Poster

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,392
Thanks: 205 in 7 Posts
5 Achievements


Though I swear it seems like Maxis was dead-set on putting bare midriffs on every outfit they could. Good thing for default replacements.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Check out my website!
Old 14th Jul 2018, 6:39 PM #6529
Orphalesion
Inventor

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 922


The midriffs at the very least seem really dated to me. If I'm not completely mistaken those were much more ubiquitous in the early 2000s than today.

Avatar by MasterRed
Old 14th Jul 2018, 6:47 PM #6530
omglo
Top Secret Researcher

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,920
Thanks: 160 in 3 Posts
4 Achievements


The midriffs and flare legs are dated to me.
Old 14th Jul 2018, 8:53 PM #6531
Liza
Field Researcher

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 222


For what else I love this game. The fact that it is cheeky and cheerful at the same time. And every animation in the game is saturated with liveliness and mischief. Although this is just 2004 ...

Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  snapshot_a84fe4e2_e85688f9.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  51.9 KB  
Last edited by Liza : 16th Jul 2018 at 5:41 PM.
Old 14th Jul 2018, 10:15 PM #6532
Orphalesion
Inventor

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 922


@Liza IDK why, but I love that sim! What's his story?

Also I realized I kind of tend to "breed" brown haired Sims in my neighbourhoods. Since brown is the most common hair colour, by far, among Caucasian people where I live I always feel maxis puts twoo few brown haired Sims in the neighbourhoods (Pleasantview only has two, John and Lucy Burb) This always makes me pair brown haired Sims with each other and produce a larger amount of children. And in my current neighbourhood this just lead to an over-aboundance of brown haired Sims right now :-P For example of the (so far) 9 grandchildren of Bob Snr. and Mags Newbie, 7 have brown hair.

Avatar by MasterRed
Old 14th Jul 2018, 11:58 PM #6533
complexion
Test Subject

Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4 in 1 Posts
1 Achievements


It kinda bothers me how the skin genetics work, i mean in the way that I have two CAS sims who had twins and the twins both got a different custom skin tone that neither of the parents had?
Old 15th Jul 2018, 12:26 AM #6534
Peni Griffin
Mad Poster

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14,614
Thanks: 1358 in 11 Posts
12 Achievements


You can fiddle with the genes in SimPE.

If the skin has a genetic value of 0, it will stomp all over any skin with any other value; so if two sims with 0 value skins have a child, it'll be a 50/50 chance of getting one or the other.

Normal skins have genetic values, so that the child of an S4 sim and an S1 sim can have either those skins or any that fall between the two ranges, just as the child of a black person and a white person can be any shade of brown in between, and this is clearly preferable. But custom geneticized skins will be scaled according to the taste and use of the maker, so while you only have one set of skins it'll probably make sense, but once you start downloading new sets for whatever reason you may start getting results that don't look right to you. The solution to this is to modify the genetic values of the skins so that they make sense for your game.

First, you compare each skin to all the other skins and arrange them from lightest (lowest genetic value) to darkest (highest genetic value).
Next, open each skin in SimPE and note down the genetic value numbers and write them down opposite the skins in your lightest-darkest arrangement.
Third, note which genetic values don't match their position on your arrangement, and figure out what value would bring them into their proper place.
Fourth, change each skin's value to what you want, not forgetting to commit and save for each one. Any skin that you want to only appear on children of sims who have that skin color should be changed to 0.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Old 15th Jul 2018, 12:31 AM #6535
complexion
Test Subject

Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4 in 1 Posts
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
You can fiddle with the genes in SimPE.

If the skin has a genetic value of 0, it will stomp all over any skin with any other value; so if two sims with 0 value skins have a child, it'll be a 50/50 chance of getting one or the other.

Normal skins have genetic values, so that the child of an S4 sim and an S1 sim can have either those skins or any that fall between the two ranges, just as the child of a black person and a white person can be any shade of brown in between, and this is clearly preferable. But custom geneticized skins will be scaled according to the taste and use of the maker, so while you only have one set of skins it'll probably make sense, but once you start downloading new sets for whatever reason you may start getting results that don't look right to you. The solution to this is to modify the genetic values of the skins so that they make sense for your game.

First, you compare each skin to all the other skins and arrange them from lightest (lowest genetic value) to darkest (highest genetic value).
Next, open each skin in SimPE and note down the genetic value numbers and write them down opposite the skins in your lightest-darkest arrangement.
Third, note which genetic values don't match their position on your arrangement, and figure out what value would bring them into their proper place.
Fourth, change each skin's value to what you want, not forgetting to commit and save for each one. Any skin that you want to only appear on children of sims who have that skin color should be changed to 0.


Thank you so much!
Old 15th Jul 2018, 12:47 AM #6536
DezzyDoesThings
Scholar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,467
2 Achievements


idk where else to put this but I just wanted to say I just downloaded FreeSO and It's like crack to me now lol

For those that don't know, it's a free fan version of The Sims Online.
Old 15th Jul 2018, 3:11 AM #6537
Orphalesion
Inventor

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 922


Quote:
Originally Posted by DezzyBoo
idk where else to put this but I just wanted to say I just downloaded FreeSO and It's like crack to me now lol

For those that don't know, it's a free fan version of The Sims Online.


If you want to find in-game contacts, there is a Free Sims Online thread in the Sims 1 section, but I'm sure how active that one is...

Avatar by MasterRed
Old 15th Jul 2018, 10:52 AM #6538
Emerald1234
Scholar

Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,527


i've sort of...began to get bored of sims 2 but it's my favorite game,is there anyway to make it more interesting?

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
cats are better than humans and shall takeover earth in a couple of centuries after they evolve.
Old 15th Jul 2018, 11:39 AM #6539
Bulbizarre
Mad Poster

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,392
Thanks: 205 in 7 Posts
5 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald1234
i've sort of...began to get bored of sims 2 but it's my favorite game,is there anyway to make it more interesting?


http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=334957

Or just take a break from it. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Check out my website!
Old 15th Jul 2018, 8:22 PM #6540
Liza
Field Researcher

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 222


Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphalesion
@Liza IDK why, but I love that sim! What's his story?


His name is Eitan Custom. He is one of four brothers who had to escape to my megahood, because one of the brothers destroyed by their actions the company that invested in the development of their business.
Eitan second brother of the four. He is very kind, cheerful and very hardworking( Have Fortune Aspiration). Now he is getting a job helping one of Elsewhere's new residents with a store that already brings a good income.
Old 15th Jul 2018, 9:21 PM #6541
budwinys
Field Researcher

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 422


Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphalesion
The midriffs at the very least seem really dated to me. If I'm not completely mistaken those were much more ubiquitous in the early 2000s than today.


The midriff thing is coming back. The look is less "my shirt shrunk in the wash" and more "I cut my normal shirt halfway off with a pair of scissors", but it's here again. Which, I'm not gonna lie, TS4 creators really like crop tops and most of them are in my game right now. My sims 2 sims have more styles to choose from, though.

Speaking of TS4, I have a random thought of my own. I enjoy it well enough; it's my "casual" sims game. I like the CAS options and some of the building options, and it's nice to have things like tablets and the "nap" interaction on a bed. But playing it has made me discover the real reason I keep coming back to TS2- the sims. TS4 sims have traits and diverse looks, sure, but at their core they seem like the same sim. They're somehow unresponsive and over-animated at the same time. They're all inclined to do the same autonomous interactions as any other sim. For example, if I make two sims and they're both good, perfectionists, and loners, they'll act identical.

TS2 sims, on the other hand, seem like their own unique selves no matter what. For instance, I have a child sim who has very few nice points, but she still rolls wants to make friends. She isn't mean, she just keeps to herself. There will be other sims with the same amount of nice points who pick fights with others and generally be nasty. Some sims get along with others who have completely different interests than them, and others barely want to talk to one another with similar interests. If a sim I play is in a corrupted neighborhood, they're gone. I can extract their appearance, but.. it's like their little pixel soul is gone, and there's a different one in them. TS4 sims can just be plopped down from the gallery and seem exactly the same. I have no idea what exactly controls this (maybe nothing, maybe it's my imagination), but regardless they seem more like people than the sims in the later installments. This, combined with their superior animations (2004 sims move more realistically than 2014 sims? Smoother doesn't equal more realistic, guys) will make them my favorites forever.
Last edited by budwinys : 15th Jul 2018 at 9:44 PM.
Old 18th Jul 2018, 9:08 PM #6542
Yvelotic2001
Field Researcher

Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 285
Thanks: 91 in 9 Posts
5 Achievements


The best thing about the UC are @Zarathustra 's awesome lots.

Admit it, Milotic is beautiful.
My C:Simblr!
Old 18th Jul 2018, 9:28 PM #6543
OnayaW
Instructor

Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 586
Thanks: 196 in 8 Posts
4 Achievements


Cleaning up one's Download folder was easier than I thought... Maybe it helped I only had 2GB to clean up in... I don't like to come over 2GB in my downloads so I do all I can to keep it below >_> But sometimes I just can't resist all those colorful recolors out there

I build small houses *^*
Old 19th Jul 2018, 8:34 AM #6544
SciBirg
Scholar

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 1026 in 5 Posts
7 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by budwinys
But playing it has made me discover the real reason I keep coming back to TS2- the sims. TS4 sims have traits and diverse looks, sure, but at their core they seem like the same sim. They're somehow unresponsive and over-animated at the same time. They're all inclined to do the same autonomous interactions as any other sim. For example, if I make two sims and they're both good, perfectionists, and loners, they'll act identical.

TS2 sims, on the other hand, seem like their own unique selves no matter what. For instance, I have a child sim who has very few nice points, but she still rolls wants to make friends. She isn't mean, she just keeps to herself. There will be other sims with the same amount of nice points who pick fights with others and generally be nasty.


This. I tried playing TS3 and it was the same problem you mention above, and I quickly got bored. TS2 sims can still surprise you, TS3 and TS4 sims cannot.
Old 20th Jul 2018, 12:59 AM #6545
Yvelotic2001
Field Researcher

Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 285
Thanks: 91 in 9 Posts
5 Achievements


I am soooo tired of annoying customers!

- I would like to speak with the manager...
- Go ahead.
- I hate one of your staff members!
- Sorry ma'am, there's nothing I can do. He's like, the owner of this place...
- Ugh!
*loses customer happiness*
*20 Sim-minutes later*
- I would like to speak with the manager...
- Go ahead.
- I hate one of your staff members!
- Sorry ma'am, there's nothing I can do. He's like, the owner of this place...
- Ugh!
*loses customer happiness*
*20 Sim-minutes later*
*rewind repeat*
Like, chill Deborah, I already know you don't like him. Go away at once!

Seriously though, I'm sick and tired of constantly having to deal with complaints about the owner of a community lot. Not only do the complaining Sims lose stars - and fast! They complain non-stop! -, the other Sims also do, as now my cashier is busy listening to your damn problems. This kind of Sims have single-handedly downgraded one of businesses from 6 stars to 5, and unless they quit whining I'll have to ban them with the Visitor Controller.

That, and Sims who come to my store to slap other customers. Security, come here!

Admit it, Milotic is beautiful.
My C:Simblr!
Old 20th Jul 2018, 1:28 AM #6546
yavannatw
Scholar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,537
Thanks: 517 in 15 Posts
8 Achievements


I've started recolouring some wallpapers that I never use because they're so hideous, like the Sporty blue and orange and the Beachy keen with red stripe. Just yuck. Anything to put off housework it seems.
Old 20th Jul 2018, 2:15 AM #6547
Peni Griffin
Mad Poster

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14,614
Thanks: 1358 in 11 Posts
12 Achievements


There's mods for that, Yvelotic.

You can also ask problem sims to leave.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Old 20th Jul 2018, 3:38 AM #6548
joandsarah77
Needs Coffee



Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 24,231
Thanks: 4884 in 54 Posts
26 Achievements

View My Journal


@yavannatw No need to put up with that since it's broken. http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,7026.0.html

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Old 20th Jul 2018, 3:43 AM #6549
yavannatw
Scholar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,537
Thanks: 517 in 15 Posts
8 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
@yavannatw No need to put up with that since it's broken. http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,7026.0.html


I think you mean @Yvelotic2001
Old 20th Jul 2018, 5:58 AM #6550
Bulbizarre
Mad Poster

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,392
Thanks: 205 in 7 Posts
5 Achievements


It's always a bit odd when someone necros an old thread and you don't notice the date at first so it's like "where did all you guys come from?"

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Check out my website!
Reply


Section jump:


Powered by MariaDB Some icons by http://dryicons.com.