Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2019 at 7:38 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default The sims 2 Ultimate collection keeps lagging and pausing
Ok, so i know there are a lot of methods to try and fix this but no matter what i do, nothing seems to work. So recently i started to play sims 2 Ultimate collection again but every time i go to play the game, the load times are really long and when playing in a lot, the game won't stop lagging and pausing for a few seconds. This is odd because despite the long load times and lag in a lot, i have no problems at all in create a sim and the neighborhood menu. I have no idea why this is happening because i have a laptop that is more than capable of running sims 2 because i can run the sims 4 and Skyrim fine with no lag and pauses at all. My laptop has a AMD Ryzen 3 2200U processor with radeon vega 3 graphics. it is 2.50GHz and i have 8 gb of ram installed. My operating system is windows 10 home, version 1809.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2019 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chicken0440
Ok, so i know there are a lot of methods to try and fix this but no matter what i do, nothing seems to work. So recently i started to play sims 2 Ultimate collection again but every time i go to play the game, the load times are really long and when playing in a lot, the game won't stop lagging and pausing for a few seconds. This is odd because despite the long load times and lag in a lot, i have no problems at all in create a sim and the neighborhood menu. I have no idea why this is happening because i have a laptop that is more than capable of running sims 2 because i can run the sims 4 and Skyrim fine with no lag and pauses at all. My laptop has a AMD Ryzen 3 2200U processor with radeon vega 3 graphics. it is 2.50GHz and i have 8 gb of ram installed. My operating system is windows 10 home, version 1809.

I suggest that you make a copy and test your copy without Downloads and see if there is a problem then. I am guessing that your issue has to do with either too much CC or bad CC or both.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 1:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
I suggest that you make a copy and test your copy without Downloads and see if there is a problem then. I am guessing that your issue has to do with either too much CC or bad CC or both.

So this morning i decided to try this. i haven't got much cc installed and the cc i had was from my mac which worked fine on the sims 2 super collection so i don't think it was the cc. But anyway i decided to remove my cc and reset my sims 2 folder in documents. After i did this i tested sims 2 Ultimate collection 3 times and each time the load times were still very long also lag and pauses still affected my game badly.
Alchemist
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 1:53 PM
Since you already know all the typical solutions... I had this happen for a bit caused by another program (my screenshot program) causing the lag. Something about the order I loaded the Sims and the other or something messed it up.
Scholar
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 2:53 PM
There're numerous things which may make the old program behave weird (or not at all - by design it was not suppoused to even work in such conditions) in completely different enviroment.

Speculating on the base of your description:
disconnect from the web and:
- disable any antivirus software while the game is working; later add an exception to the whole Sims directory;
- check if the Win10 is not a problem itself (updates, rampart telemetry, additional services going wild ), you cannot disable many stuff, but you can limit it a bit; clean it, like seriously;
- have you tried to run the game with CPU limit? It's really old software which sometimes (not always) simply gets mad in multicore 64-bit enviroment, it just happens;
- does your hardware is properly (not necessarily in exact way) recognised by the game?
- is there any program which may interfere with video, I/O, input devices enabled? Steam, Skype, Screen recorder/capture, your beloved music player in the background, machine manufacturer's installed software etc. They should not make problems, but sometimes they do; disable anything which is not necessary;
- try different combinations of compatibility layers and "admin"/"no admin" settings, it's somewhat a bit of random from one installation to another;

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
#6 Old 15th Apr 2019 at 5:26 AM
It's kind of a good iron to pull a brute, even in its ultra collection. Try changing the graphics settings and see what happens. Also use the screen recording, you can understand what problems arise precisely because of it.
Alchemist
#7 Old 6th Dec 2019 at 5:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
... I had this happen for a bit caused by another program (my screenshot program) causing the lag. Something about the order I loaded the Sims and the other or something messed it up.

Resurrecting because Sunrader's comment has just saved me a heap of painful searching for answers about my own laggy game. I've been on hiatus for a few months, and don't remember any lagging before that - but it is a big problem now. It seems Gadwin (screenshot utility) is causing it, possibly in interaction with a Win 10 update or similar... Perhaps there is a fix for Gadwin? Will go check for that...thanks, Sunrader.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 6th Dec 2019 at 3:44 PM
^ Gadwin has released a newer version compatible with Win10, so it may be worth it to try (personally I haven't noticed any issues with this, but you may want to use the free version because it's a bit less demanding). Antivirus programs can cause laging issues and other weird problems.

Other than that, the UC isn't really meant to be used with newer systems and can cause lag for all sorts of reasons. Have you tried any of the tips in these two topics below? They're meant more for those with crashing and pink-flashing issues, but they could give your game a boost, particularly the 4GB fix. Win10 and Nvidia cards in the 1000/2000 series and other newer cards seem to be particularly problematic.

(Try the first link first, then if all else fails try the second).
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641 (4GB, Memory allocation, etc.)
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=633003 (D9VK)
Forum Resident
#9 Old 6th Dec 2019 at 6:11 PM
I usually find with my sims 2 UC that starting it up after a while of not playing it (I have a lot of mods and CC) takes about 5 minutes to load initially. But then I quit after the initial startup and booted it up a second time. The second boot had a loadup time of 30 seconds and everything ran smoothly no lags or pauses. For me, running it on the first startup with a 5 minute load WILL lag and freeze the game. Running it with the second loadup makes everything faster because all the resources were already loaded from the first boot.
This may not work for everyone but that's what I do on my game. It's sort of like the "anything mechanical give it a good bang approach."
Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Dec 2019 at 6:30 PM
^ The "loads faster on second run" observation is an actual thing. The game will usually load slower after a full PC startup, but faster on second boot. It's usually the same for Bodyshop, too. Probably because whatever processes load in the background have already loaded to some point (even after deleting cache files).

However, to those who love having their PC running 24/7, doing a full PC shutdown with a resting period once in a while is very good for it. Cleans out some of the random junk files that build up over time, and gives the moving parts and anything else that heats up a cooldown period and some rest.
Scholar
#11 Old 6th Dec 2019 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
^ The "loads faster on second run" observation is an actual thing. The game will usually load slower after a full PC startup, but faster on second boot. It's usually the same for Bodyshop, too. Probably because whatever processes load in the background have already loaded to some point (even after deleting cache files).

it's prefetch Windows feature present in the line since Windows7, system tries to remember exact positions of called sectors on the disk and load them prematurely during the start/wake up; it works in rather not very impressive way if the machine has not so much memory (like 4GB) but with >6 it really helps with running often used programs. The "called sectors" part has no sense a all in the SSD context, but the RAM cached content still works as expected. It was kind of improvement because MS was never really able to create actually working reliable and fast filesystem (newest ntfs versions performs about the level of ext2, which was innovative in early 2000, yep... these "innovative frontier corporations", yeah)

Quote:
However, to those who love having their PC running 24/7, doing a full PC shutdown with a resting period once in a while is very good for it. Cleans out some of the random junk files that build up over time, and gives the moving parts and anything else that heats up a cooldown period and some rest.

definitely, while MS did quite impressive job trying to accomplish impossible - namely: trying to repair the mess which Windows is (and always will be, as long as it will be still "the Windows"),* the system still produces insane amount of garbage and is unable to perform properly without some downtime (reload, exactly). From the engineering point of view it's still early 2000 in the Windows world. Maybe it's time to ... ehm, 'update' ^^

*but MS being MS of course had to screw this again building the whole W10 mess...

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Mad Poster
#12 Old 7th Dec 2019 at 12:52 AM
(Posted some of this in another topic, but thought it could help here with a few edits)

With Windows 10, turning off some of the background processes in the settings can sometimes help. Cortana is not neccessary and does a lot of data collecting (I've turned it off as best as I could on my laptop), and if you go through all the settings there's a lot of things you can turn off, and most are fairly logical. If you're unsure, ask/search what it does, or leave it on. I've turned off basically anything that collects data or lowers performance (like any kind of see-through Aero outlay - looks cool but is a big hog on resources) and lowering the resolution could also help a bit (unless you absolutely need 4K or some other ultra high resolution for a huge screen, around 1920x1080 is perfectly fine for a 15-17'' laptop, maybe more for a standard somewhat bigger desktop screen). Win10 straight out of the box is a big resource hog in general. I did notice a slight performance boost after I'd done these changes.

If you notice Gadwin is struggling, and you happen to have a very high resolution (like 4K) then that could be why it's struggling. Those files, depending on the file type you're saving as, tend to get very huge. It captures a TIFF on my old laptop with 1920x1080 resolution as 6 MB each, and I think the 4K pictures were around 4 times that size (I changed to either JPG or PNG after testing). Also turn off the picture editing and/or "view picture" after captures, so it just saves pictures to a folder in the background.

Antivirus/antimalware programs can also be resource hogs and do weird things in the background. A few are worse than others. I've had tons of issues with (an older version of) Norton, for instance. It made my TAB camera ingame go all bonkers if it started scans in the background. One program kept quarantining the older versions of Bodyshop (can't remember which).

Basically, the fewer programs running, and the fewer resources they're using, the more is freed up for the programs you're opening and/or actively using.
Scholar
#13 Old 7th Dec 2019 at 3:31 PM
well, it's kinda (?) obvious that everything will work better if plugged to the power and relieved from the unnecessary stress, that's why for the long time MS-DOS (or any interpreter surrending the whole machine to the program) was unbeatable in the matter of pure efficiency

The point is, that you really cannot seriously debloat the W10 (well, you can if you go a really extra mile, 'till next update). And you're unfortunatelly sentenced to run the (often Windows ones) processess mitigating the mess created by the system itself. So... well ^^

Mad Poster
#14 Old 7th Dec 2019 at 5:17 PM
^ I realize you're against Windows, but some people aren't too comfortable switching to a different system, and there could be reasons why people stick with Windows. Some people just aren't too comfortable with computers but are familiar enough with Windows to be able to navigate it. Others rely on programs that might not work as well with another OS even with emulators. Sometimes you just have to figure out ways to work around the problems, and switching off all the usless functions in Win10 does help a little, even if it doesn't fix all the flaws of the system.
Scholar
#15 Old 7th Dec 2019 at 6:54 PM
em, do not get me wrong, I'm not "against" (could you be really "against X-operating system"? OK - people almost create IIIWW about consoles once, so I take that back) - I worked on Windows' reliant software and system itself since it was created. It never was particulary good, it just "was there" and thanks to the lenience given corporations it easily took the position which no barely honest bussiness would be ever able to archieve in normal "free market" way.

OK, on the other hand there's the Apple, Google, FBook...

Point is, it's - as far as average user is concerned - completely obsolete and hostile to the user software now. If you're not a big company which made once mistake to create a large systemic data reliant of MS Exchange, or someone who paid thousands of $$$ for Windows-only software (not including professional courses and diplomas) there's no point to stick around. The reality is, that which every update incarnation that mess become more and more messy to the point that even "pure-blood noob" is able to waste less time to make some of the *ux derivatives personalised to the last pixel of the Desktop, than just even find the sparse options avaible in the W. The WindowsPhone in comparisation to the W10 was pretty friendly and very clear mobile subsystem, and this alone says a lot.

On the other hand, people still buys IPhones and sends "save the warming worlds" tweets by them...
/oh well *irony /

And (the nail in the coffin ) Sims (any iteration) works perfectly fine with no problems bigger than these from W7 era (namely:shadows and shader mess, easily fixable).

Mad Poster
#16 Old 7th Dec 2019 at 7:38 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Dec 2019 at 9:32 PM.
^ Perhaps from the standpoint of a programmer or someone who has worked with various OS for quite some time. Most simmers tend to be somewhere along the line of beginner (having barely used a computer before) to slightly beyond average computer users (dabbling with figuring out which computer parts their next computer should have to be able to run games). There are of course more experienced computer users and maybe even expert-level users among simmers, but probably not as many. On the surface level, Windows is seemingly "noob-friendly" because most people have used it at some point, and probably have had it on at least one computer (unless they're in the Mac street) since it usually comes pre-installed and ready to use, unless you build a computer from scratch. I agree the deeper workings of Windows aren't in any way "noob-friendly" but I also don't think that's the intention of the Windows creators.

Scholar
#17 Old 7th Dec 2019 at 9:03 PM
actually - learning everything takes some time and effort, if you'd be devoted Mac user, you'd be crying while being put before Windows interface , and in the other way, you'd be starting from cursing "where the F* is my rclick!???" (well, it already happened, right? so, where all that "intuiteveness of the Mac interface" went during this wonderful experience?).*

Did you actually ever *installed* Windows, btw? Like "ever"? Not restore process from the image or this "register" routine while buying a new machine with the Windows preinstalled. I mean: the real installation. On the metal. From the scratch. It's amazing experience, really. Like time machine to the beginning of the century.

Anyway I stand my point: the game works fine. There's really no point to take piss from the skunk anymore.

*what a wonderful word I've made, oh crap, it's an actual word. Now I'm heartbroken.

Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 8:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
actually - learning everything takes some time and effort, if you'd be devoted Mac user, you'd be crying while being put before Windows interface , and in the other way, you'd be starting from cursing "where the F* is my rclick!???" (well, it already happened, right? so, where all that "intuiteveness of the Mac interface" went during this wonderful experience?).*

Did you actually ever *installed* Windows, btw? Like "ever"? Not restore process from the image or this "register" routine while buying a new machine with the Windows preinstalled. I mean: the real installation. On the metal. From the scratch. It's amazing experience, really. Like time machine to the beginning of the century.

Anyway I stand my point: the game works fine. There's really no point to take piss from the skunk anymore.

*what a wonderful word I've made, oh crap, it's an actual word. Now I'm heartbroken.

Macs do the right click just fine if one uses a PC Mouse or PC Trackball or what ever other options exist for PCs. Personally I use a wired Logitech Trackball. I don't like the Apple Mouse and I won't use it. I do like the wired Apple Keyboards. I do not like Apple Wireless stuff as it needs to be synced and I did not have a good experience when trying to use a Wireless Keyboard.

The Intuitiveness of the Mac Interface is due to the fact that almost {programs by MS are the exception} all programs on the Mac use the same interface. So it is really not that the Mac is so intuitive, it is that, most all of the app interfaces one uses on a Mac are very like each other and once you learn how the Mac interface works it then becomes intuitive when trying to use an unfamiliar app, because you will assume that the interface works innthe same way. So working with a new app on a Mac is usually simple as far as its interface goes, because it is going to be much like all of the other apps you have worked with before and that is the intuitive part of it.

If you come to a Mac with PC using experience, Macs will not be intuitive until you learn how Macs do things. I don't know how long that might take.

I love my iMac which I use to play the Sims 2, it does not have the Pink thing from what I can tell. I don't have lag, of course the latest Mac OS does not work with the Sims 2 at all, but I am using an older iMac with El Capitan, two releases back as I understand it. One hopes that Aspyr will release a 64 bit compatiable version, but meanwhile I will stick with what I have. Biggest problem I ever had was that I exceeded the maximum number of open files when I was trying to play the Sims 2, but I finally diagnosed the problem and implemented a very nice fix. Then I exceeded the maximum number of open files again, but this time I recognized the problem for what it was and I increased the limit number. This keeps the number of CC files that I have loaded somewhat limited, but I don't mind.

Apple does not force updates on their Mac users and I am so glad of that.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.