Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 12:23 PM
Default Making objects NON-CAStable
Hello.

Can anybody tell me what value needs to be altered to mark an object as not being allowed to have the CASt tool used on it, please?

I've been able to remove all of the CAStable channels but you can still attempt to use CASt on it in game which results in the game telling you the chosen colour scheme is not valid (as there are no channels to change) and to select a different preset, of which there are none.
The only way to exit CASt then is to select a different object so that the cancel button becomes usable.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 12:35 PM
In some resource (I don't know which) there is a 0 or 1 meaning enable or disable channel, per channel. But I think that leaves it *behaving* as if it is CASTable, without it actually taking any colours. I know that in a non-CASTable object, there are no TXTC resources. Maybe you could experimentally remove the references to the TXTCs which are in the MODL and MLODs

Also, in the OBJD and the Preset XML there are blocks for materials and patterns that you could try removing or editing. A non-CASTable object uses the overlay for its texture, and does not use the mask or multiplier.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Nov 2013 at 9:32 PM
Rather than start a new thread, I shall continue here as it is exactly the same issue.
Now that we are two years further on from when I originally posted, is there any more understanding on how to made an object none-CAStable?

I'm in the process of converting the ice bar from the Seasons reg set into a Late Night bar.
It looks great in game, after ironing out a few visual problems, and it cannot actually be CASted although the tool can still be used on it. This results in the CASt panel opening and a message being displayed telling me that there are no castable channels and to select a different preset.
Is there any new info on how to prevent the tool actually working on the object?

I've looked at the info given above by Inge but I honestly don't know which bits of the info in those resources refer to CASt channels so wouldn't have a clue about which bits to even try and edit.

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#4 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 2:00 AM
You have to remove the materials from the OBJD. And make sure you clear the compositor cache.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 11:04 AM
That doesn't appear to have worked. I can still use the CASt tool on the bar but now it doesn't even tell me that the preset isn't CAStable.
I made sure to delete the compositor cache as well as buy a new version of the bar in game.

What is the correct preceedure for removing materials from the OBJD? All I did was open up the grid, select the three dots next to Materials and then in the new window that popped up I hit delete.

#6 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 11:18 AM Last edited by Inge Jones : 6th Nov 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Maybe I should add this as a quick button to TT3

Other symptoms of an item being non-recolorable are it doesn't have an xml that is the same instance number as its VPXY, and none of the model materials reference a TXTC. You can most easily check and stop TXTC referencing via the Model tab in TT3.

You did right for deleting the material blocks in the OBJD but of course you have to hit delete once for all the material entries listed so none are left.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#7 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 1:19 PM
I tested this before I answered, but I must have misinterpreted my testing. Yes, you do have to delete the TXTC and XML.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
#8 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 1:50 PM
Well you can have a TXTC in there or not in there - it's the referencing from within the MATDs that the game will be interpreting. Obviously if there is a reference to a TXTC, just deleting it will break the object.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 5:18 PM
I've found the _XML with the same instance as the VPXY and deleted it.
My package has two TXTC resources in it but no MATD so would/should it be safe for me to remove the TXTCs?
I'll try it anyway and see what happens but I thought it best to ask as well.
Thanks for all of the replies so far.

#10 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 5:24 PM
The MATDs are internal chunks inside the MLODs and MODL actually. Ifyou open your object in Texture Tweaker and look in the model tab you will be able to see any references to TXTCs and switch them to reference a DDS directly.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 7:50 PM
I can't open it in Texture Tweaker because it complains that the object reference is not set to an instance of an object. Most things I make in TSRW come up with this.
I don't know what I'm looking for inside the MLODs and MODLs. Is there supposed to be something labelled MATD? I can't see it if there is.

#12 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 8:12 PM
I thought I fixed that incompatibility. Have you got the latest TT3? If so, maybe its some new problem - sigh.

Look for the MATDs first of all in the preview pane, without opening grid. They are easier to spot there. Each one may have several. Once you know what you are looking for, it will be easier to find them in Grid. Also by looking in that, you will be able to identify just how many need changing. It may be that the work you have already done has already killed any references and you don't have to do anything further. But if you do spot any entries that refer to something with the TypeID of a TXTC you need to deal with that manually before deleting the TXTC.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 8:44 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 6th Nov 2013 at 8:54 PM.
I probably have an outdated version of TT3. I'll check for an update and look again.
--------------
Yep, outdated TT3.
Also, I've checked my bar in game prior to trying out the newer version of TT3 and it appears to be working as intended now anyway.
Attempting to use CASt on the object returns the tooltip "Cannot change style" and patterns cannot be dragged to it.
It looks finished to me now.
Thanks!

Sockpuppet
#14 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 8:49 PM
in tsrw you delete the diffuse preset(txtc's?) under materials in the meshtab, then readd the diffuse.
There is a minor error when readding the diffuse, it sometimes loads the burned textured(with its default id)
If so change shader to phong alpha, load default settings, delete everything you dont need, load your texture and set shader back to phong.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 4:52 PM
Inge, looks like there may still be a problem with TT3 after all. I've now got version 0.58, having updated from 0.56, and it still can't open my package and it gives the same error.
I'm not too bothered for this instance seeing as my package is now working as intended but I thought you may wish to know.

Thanks Bloom for the extra info.

#16 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 5:28 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out if I get time. Obviously the tool was aiming mainly at non-tsrw users, since tsrw already offers similar (albeit sometimes more convolutedly)