Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:42 PM
Default Need Help With Mapping Meshes!!!!!!!!!
:confused: HI, I have all these grate new meshes that I created for the sims2 that I would like to share but I’m having a real problem with UV mapping and texture mapping when I import my new meshes to the game mapping never match’s up to the new mesh I don’t know what I’m doing wrong…it’s probably something with the way I’m importing the new mesh in to the game with SimPE or Sims2MeshToo...I don’t understand all the settings in SimPE yet. I have seen a lot cool new mashes out there so hopefully some of you can help me out. The 3D programs I’m using are Maya 6, 3D max, light wave, and poser.

Tim
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 4:08 AM
Did you set up the UV maps before you exported it? The game doesn't do it for you, you have to set them up yourself first in your 3D editing program.

If you don't know a lot about UVW mapping, i'll give you some hints. What I like to do is take a good look at the mesh and visualize how I can break it up to map each part major seperatly. Then I sort of work backwards. Before I even break up the mesh and begin setting up UVW coordinates, I create a template in Photoshop as to how I want the texture to be set up as. Then I go about detaching parts of the mesh, adding UVW Maps (usually plane maps), and adding a UVW Unwrapper (thats what it's called in 3D Studio Max), and line up each unwrapped mesh with my template. Then I create the final texture in Photoshop, testing it's alignment on the mesh fairly often.

If you need a more detailed explanation, I suggest looking for some tutorials on it thats specific to your program.
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 12:58 PM
Thanks for the help Todd! If any one has anymore hint's that would be cool
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 1:40 PM
1. Download 'UVMapper' Classic Edition http://uvmapper.com/downloads.html

2. extract the .obj file (refer to Brianna's Tutorial).

3. Save the UVMap as a 1024x1024 bmp, and use that. Go to BodyShop, click 'Create New Parts,' click the mesh that you'd like for a UV Map, and click 'Export Textures.'

4. Go into the 'Projects' folder via My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2, and find the folder that shares the name of the file you exported (it should be the 'last edited folder,' so if you change the view to 'details,' and click the 'Date Modified' tab, it will sort according to last edited, first-to-last).

5. Open up the bmp that is colored IN MSPAINT (i.e., not the black/white alpha, and not the greyscale textured map). MSPaint (or 'Paint) is standard with Windows Operating Systems, and is usually in the 'Accessories/Entertainment' Folder in your 'Start Menu/Program Files'

6. Now, open the UVMap (also in Paint), wherever you had it saved. Go to the opened bmp skin, press Ctrl+A (Select All), and press 'Delete' (not Backspace). DO NOT SAVE YET!

7. Go to the open UVMap, Press Ctrl+A, then press Ctrl+C (Copy).

8. Go back to the skin bmp again, and press Ctrl+V (Paste). It should completely fill the window. NOW SAVE!

9. Now, open the alpha bmp (the ALL black and white one). Press Ctrl+A, and press delete. This will leave you with a completely blank canvas. Save.

10. Go back into Bodyshop, go to 'Load Project,' and click the project we have been editing (usually the first one listed). The skin will load, and it will be covered with a black on white grid.

11. You can refer to a screenshot of this Skin (in BodyShop) to see which square applies to which part of the body.

NOTE: It won't bee %100 accurate, but this is the best method available.

The best way to skin from this new UVMap, is to fill in each square with a color. If you're making an article of clothing, like a shirt, fill in the appropriate squares with one color (red/blue, something that sticks out). When the shape fits, then go back and change the color/texture to your liking. You'll have to modify/check, modify/check, and do so until its correct.

Hope this helps,
Vin.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 1:40 PM
If you need more help, just shout :D
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 12:54 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the Help!
Field Researcher
#7 Old 14th Mar 2005 at 8:26 AM
uv mapper for cinema 4D
hi todd, just want to know what do you call the mapper thing in cinema 4D...