Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 4:31 PM
Default Goodbye Origin, hello discs
EA got on my very last nerve a little while ago when I was re-installing all my TS3 content on a new pc (they took Movie Stuff away from me, the bastards!) so I've decided to replace the EPs and SPs I had on Origin with disc copies and after that just simply boycott them, no matter what they make in the future. Also, very relieved to be back on patch 1.67 as I've come to loathe Origin more and more.

I'm lucky enough to have bought at least half of everything TS3 on discs originally so I don't have to replace every single EP/SP. I'm gonna try to find new versions as much as I can, but they're hard to come by and cost a fortune most of the time so I'm probably gonna have to "resort" to second hand copies for the most part. I did just find a new copy of 70s80s90s SP for under €5 incl. postage which I thought was a bargain, all things considered.

I know I'm not alone in being frustrated with EA/origin so I'm curious to hear from those of you who've done something similar (or thinking about it).

1. What made you make up your mind to switch to either discs or Steam?
2. What (if anything) did you wish you'd done differently? (like getting bundles instead of stand alones, choosing limited instead of normal editions, bought from a different seller etc)
3. If you replaced more than 1 EP/SP, did you opt for buying them all at once or did you get them one at a time?
4. Did it inspire you in any way gameplay-wise? For example, to explore things differently because you're lacking an EP you've never done without before etc
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 6:11 PM Last edited by Jathom95 : 22nd Jun 2018 at 6:27 PM.
I know you were curious about people who actually switched around, but figured I'd chime in anyway.

1. I've always preferred discs for my games. Some consider it to be old-school, cumbersome because of having to swap out discs, etc. But to me, it's the only way you have actual ownership of your games. Yes, it's still only a license to play, but only as a technicality.
2. Ehh, nothing really. Pretty satisfied with everything I've purchased over the years.
3. I bought all of them separately, and the only thing I've ever had to replace was Showtime because the disc became ruined. Still don't know how it happened, because I properly store my games in their cases on a shelf. Apparently, disc rot really does happen.
4. When I didn't have SHT, there were some things I missed from it. Mostly CAS stuff though. It had some of the better looking EA stuff.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 8:59 PM
I have bought discs since day one of Sims whenever available. I want them right here and it was easy when I had to do a reinstall a few times on new computers or one time when a problem.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 9:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I have bought discs since day one of Sims whenever available. I want them right here and it was easy when I had to do a reinstall a few times on new computers or one time when a problem.

Exactly. I'll give you an example, case in point. Recently my internet has slogged down to a crawl. Haven't been able to get it fixed yet, so for now everything's significantly slower. My download speed is currently only a few KBs of data (yeah, that bad). If I were to try to download several gigs of data right now, it would literally take days. Even though everything is currently already installed through my discs right now, if I didn't have them or TS3 installed guess I'd just be SOL.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 9:40 PM
My internet is slower now too for whatever reason. Irritating.
Theorist
#6 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 10:14 PM
I had discs but then we moved and I left all my stuff in storage I couldn't take with me. When I was finally in the mood to take up Sims again, I found out about Steam and slowly rebuilt my collection. The first one I got was Sims 3 plus Pets, then Island Paradise(never had that one as a disc) and the rest I wanted. I only bought them on sale for US $7.99 and only when I had money I earned myself from a side project. So it's been SLOW. Yesterday I bought Generations and today I bought University. That will be it for Sims 3. I don't own all the EPS as I do not have any interest in Supernatural, Into the Future, Showtime or World Adventures. After all these years there are still many things I have not done in the EPS or even base game. If you buy the EPS you don't have as discs and still want it does make the game more fun. I don't regret having virtual doubles. I feel the "cloud versions" run better on my computer and I don't have to lug discs around to reinstall if there is an issue.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 7:57 AM
Only pack I didn't have before was Diesel, because I didn't really see the point unless I found it dirty cheap on a sale or something. As for EPs, even though I usually got them long after release mainly to save money, some I hold off on were also due to lack of interest in those specific packs I was surprised I enjoyed some of them a lot more than I thought. Showtime and Supernatural for example. I had absolutely zero interest in them when they were announced, but once I had them they were a lot more fun than I'd thought. Of course it helped my expectations were so low.

As for discs, I prefer those too and always have, but I've moved around a lot and had other stuff both stolen and destroyed during the years so that was my main reason to get the last bunch of EPs/SPs on Origin instead, as I've had to replace other discs before and it gets expensive.