Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 19th Jul 2006 at 11:24 PM
I always use OBJ format to export/import the meshes between different programs (3D editor, UVmapper etc...). This way, the mapping informations are exported along with the mesh.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 20th Jul 2006 at 8:02 PM
I'm using .obj... What I'm doing is exporting the obj from SimPe, importing it into Max8, changing the mesh and texturing (using bmp, no procedurals), exporting as obj with options 'use materials' and 'texture co-ordinates', and then importing back into SimPe. I've tried to use right-click and 'Build DXT', but that option is greyed out. Nevertheless my texture comes in (in 256x512) but the mapping has gone back to standard box, from what I can tell.

I'm getting the idea that max doesn't behave properly with obj files - can anyone confirm or deny this? It seems that a lot of people had them not showing up at all, but I haven't come across a case specifically like mine.

(Also, in the very last testing, the shadow has come displaced from the rest of the thing. I'm not too worried, since I guess I'll be starting from scratch anyway, but can someone give me a clue as to what can cause this so I can try and avoid doing it again? )

I admire you guys' skill in creating this stuff, and your amazing patience in dealing with all these queries!!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#53 Old 20th Jul 2006 at 9:33 PM
Perhaps I'm just too tired, but either I don't understand, or you are making a big confusion...

The mesh contains the UVmap coordinates (in Max: "Texture coordinates", I guess); it can be imported into the GMDC, by clicking "Import" and selecting the OBJ format (and then browsing to the OBJ file you have exported from Max).
There is no "Build DXT" option in the GMDC: that is an option available only when importing a texture into the TXTR.

Please note that importing the mesh in the GMDC and the texture in the TXTR are two separate activities, both needed for your object to work fine.
therefore, you have to export 2 files from Max: the mesh (with its "texture coordinates") in OBJ format; and the texture (image) itself, possibly in PNG format, or even BMP.
Then, import both files in the proper locations using SimPE.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#54 Old 20th Jul 2006 at 9:49 PM
Sorry, I guess I'm explaining badly - thanks for replying

I'm doing as you say above, with the clarification that the bmp is one I created in paint, and then used as a material in max. This bmp is the one I am importing into the txtr, but I'm not getting the 'build txt' option, it is greyed out here.

I'm currently trying to do this all with .3ds files instead, and will be getting to the import stage shortly.
Test Subject
#55 Old 20th Jul 2006 at 10:00 PM
Argh, my brain isn't working right - I'll be back tomorrow...
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 20th Jul 2006 at 11:15 PM
Perchance, do you have the path to the NVidia DDS utilities correct in SimPE? Import DXT won't work without them.

I noticed the other day that my SimPE suddenly forgot where the utilities were, and I had to enter the path again.

That would explain the greyed out build DXT option.....

The above post should be ingested with 1/4 Tbsp salt. In the event of an allergic reaction, panic and wait for the reaction to pass.
Test Subject
#57 Old 21st Jul 2006 at 6:05 PM
You're very kind
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 10:19 AM
Once again, this is extremely useful. Thanks Numenor for your time and effort into this in depth yet concise tute.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 26th Jan 2007 at 12:11 PM
Thanks for the Tutorial Numenor this was also something I needed to understand a lot better
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 12:36 AM
AHHH!! So you can put the figures wherever you want to. I've been having problems with my tablelamp mesh, and never knew were to put the figures and with which type of map...I never knew you could assign a type of map on a certain group of parts! Thanks. I will post questions later, let me try this!

NOTE: nelson_ts2fan_loco is not my name anymore
my real name is Nel
N-E-L
Thank you for your attention
Instructor
#61 Old 12th Oct 2007 at 10:08 AM Last edited by wndy26 : 12th Oct 2007 at 10:45 AM.
I am not sure what exactly I am doing wrong when I paint my maps. I use the transparency method to view the map below and paint only the parts of the object I want painted. When I import my painted map into SimPE using the DXT option and then view it in the GMDC, any details I place on the map end up tiling over the entire image. What step am I missing? Do I need to export the obj twice from UVMapper? Once as a bmp and once as an obj model? Is the obj model the one you upload into SimPE in the GMDC or the original mesh that was exported as OBJ from MS? I think this may be where my problem is. I am importing the MS OBJ into SimPE and then just using the bmps to color. Is this wrong? I have to be missing something!

Thought I should also mention - my meshes are a combination of my own and maxis meshes. The problem I am having is with remapping and coloring of my own. I have no issues with recoloring maxis textures. Just my own new ones.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#62 Old 12th Oct 2007 at 7:29 PM Last edited by Numenor : 12th Oct 2007 at 8:16 PM.
If your texture is tiled all over the surface, this means that the UVmap is too large, compared to the texture. Unfortunately, I don't use MS very musch, so I can't help you with the mapping functions of MS. But I know for sure that you can load your texture into MS and apply it over the object, so to preview the final look without importing mesh and textures into SimPE.

I'm quite sure that there are tutorials abut UVmapping with MS; perhaps in the BodyShop section.

EDIT:
In order to understand what I mean with "UVmap too large", see the animated attachment: it's always the same textures, but the UVmap is larger and larger.
Screenshots

Instructor
#63 Old 13th Oct 2007 at 1:54 AM Last edited by wndy26 : 13th Oct 2007 at 1:11 PM.
Yeah...that sounds like exactly what is happening...although I am not using MS to map, but UVMapper Classic and have tried Ulitmate Unwrap 3d. So if its too large, then I need to shrink them down? is that right? Or when selecting box map just make sure scale is not selected?

Update: I found how to add materials in MS but none of my texture bmp's will load. I keep getting a message - "Out of Memory" in the message box. So I guess I will be stuck doing trial and error - unless you know another way to view and adjust them. I am going to attempt making my maps in UV Mapper Classic without using any scale options or resizing options.

Update 2: Well, I have tried everything I know and it still doesn't work for me. I must be UVMapping Stupid or something. I have followed every tutorial I could find and my maps still don't work. I give up!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#64 Old 13th Oct 2007 at 9:33 PM
In UVmapper classic, load the OBJ, and you will see the current UVmap (you will probably see only part of it, actually, because I guess it's very big).

On the keyboard, hit CTRL+A to select the entire map, then use the following keys to resize the entire UVmap:

NumKeypad "/" to reduce to half
NumKeypad "*" to double
NumKeypad "+" to increase size slowly
NumKeypad "-" to decrease size slowly
NumKeypad numbers 2-4-6-8 to move the map around

Once you have reduced the map to fit the white area, you are on the right way
Remember that the white area represents your texture: a map that completely fills the white area without exceeding out of the borders will use the entire textures without "tiling" effects.

Instructor
#65 Old 15th Oct 2007 at 12:42 AM Last edited by wndy26 : 16th Oct 2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Thank you Numenor! You were a great help!
Thanks Numenor...I am at work reading this but I will give your instructions a try the second I get home tonight. At this point I am willing to try anything.

A couple of questions: by doing this will everything in that obj be on one map? If I want to split up the maps to have specific parts of it recolorable would I then need to split up my original full obj to specific parts and import them into my GMDC from the specific objs instead of the obj with all parts in it?

My object consists of a counter with a counter top, a wall with a window frame on it, and three box shapes that will represent tickets on a shelf below the counter. At this point I have all items by groups in one obj as well as an obj with each item in it separately - as I wasn't sure which way I should go. Each item - counter, countertop, wall, frame, and tickets are their own group. As far as I can tell most of the objects with the exception of the frame are all box shaped - although the frame appears to map nicely using box as well.

I have the object set up so that the wall and the counter are recolorable subsets. Would that mean that each of these would need their own map? Or would everything on one map/texture image be better?

Final Update: I think I figured it out thanks to you Numenor! The one step I was missing all this time after making my maps in UV Mapper Classic was to save the model AFTER my map was made - then use that model to upload to my GMDC - that, in combination with the scaling techniques you pointed out made all the difference - I think - its working anyway! My textures are no longer scaling!!! TYTYTY!!!
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 2nd Nov 2007 at 1:37 AM
I am also have the same issue with one of my objects that Im trying to texture via MS,
its tiling, so I made the UV map smaller, as Numenor suggested, yet even at 1 X 1 size it still tiles, how can this be?
I tried also using UVmapper classic, and it has the same problem.
I have done textuing via MS before and it work very well, its just this one object im having problems with.
Test Subject
#67 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 7:32 PM
Default UV Mapping Newbie here help please
I have created a canister set and cloned it over the fruit basket. I have made it a square set and UV mapped it. But the color does not show up right on the set. Here is how I did my canister set.

I cloned the fruit basket, exported the alpha channel and texture that was meant for the fruit basket. I took the UV mapped part textured it and place it over the alpha channel. Then I place it over the textured bmp file. When I went to import it back into the SimPE I imported the obj file that from the saved model* canisters uv mapped file. It looked square like my canister set.

Then I fixed it and committed the file, after this I imported the new alpha channel and texture file back into the SimsPe. it looked great until I got it into the game. For some reason the top knob on the set is not totally colored? I have tried different ways of doing this trying to teach my self here, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

Would you please take a look at it and tell me what I have done wrong?

I made sure the size was a 126x126 my canister set is a little larger.

I am uploading the rar file of the mesh and the map file as well. So you can see what I have done with it. I would like to upload it here, if you don't mind me doing that. It has a registered guid number and should be ok in any game pack.

I am learning a little at a time here* grandma * slow as Moses lol

I have a question as well about the UV map do you color the empty white part?
I tried not doing this and had white all around my object.

Help pease Stonekeeper
Attached files:
File Type: rar  canister set.rar (48.5 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#68 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 7:18 PM
uhm...:help:
o.k. i have to admit i am completely dense. i kinda get it; in fact it is the only thing i've seen so far on uv that makes any sense to me at all. i tried the jwoods start to finish tute on the table. (3 times) the last one i can't get the texture all the way around. in game it doesn't fit and a "mystery" texture is covering part of the table. i tried doing a glass i made in blender but it looked so crazy in the uv mapper i couldn't do anything to it. and SimPE refused to load it.
i'm so lost and want to understand so badly. what do i do? how do i get the understanding i need so i can make cool stuff too?

Be proud for you are made of stars;
Be humble for you are made of earth.
Syberian proverb
Instructor
#69 Old 28th Apr 2008 at 5:50 PM
Default How do I map "two-sided"?
Hi all!
I've got a question about UV-Mapper, too:
If you have meshed a plane it normally is mapped only from one side and so the back will be invisible. But now I want to mesh the leaves of a plant and it is necessary to see them from back and front. Is there a way to tell UV-Mapper that I want both sides mapped??? Or do I have to duplicate the number of vertices and make another mesh for the backside?

Thanks in advance for all replies!
jon119
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#70 Old 28th Apr 2008 at 6:03 PM
jon119 - You'll need to duplicate and flip the faces so that they're visible on both sides.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Top Secret Researcher
#71 Old 28th Apr 2008 at 8:38 PM
Thank you. I am very new to object/recoloring creating. This really helped me understand a bit about what is going on.

I have made my first object (a table - what else?) and completed the mapping using UV-classic. When I save my texture map, the size comes up as 512x213. The tutorial says to make it 512x512, so I do.

When I look at the texture map in Photoshop, it is obvious that everything was stretched vertically to make the 512. A patterned texture reflects this stretching when applied to the object.

What can I do differently to avoid this?
Should I save as the suggested default, then in photoshop resize the canvas (not the image) to 512x512, keeping the image tacked to the bottom left?

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Instructor
#72 Old 29th Apr 2008 at 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
jon119 - You'll need to duplicate and flip the faces so that they're visible on both sides.

Thank you.
But do you mean that I have to duplicate them in my 3D-Editor or that there's a function in UV-Mapper that allows to duplicate vertices that only exist once?
Sorry I'm a real beginner...
Top Secret Researcher
#73 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 1:28 PM
Once you have done the map and save the mapped model in your 3-d program (milkshake, if it matters), does the mapping hold for subsequent manipulations of the model?

For instance, if I wanted to build a table that forced symmetry in the recolor, could I build half a table, map it and then once mapped return to milkshake, duplicate and 'put together'?

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#74 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 1:47 PM
jon119 - You'll need to actually duplicate them in your 3D editor. You'll want to select all of the leafy parts and then flip them - I don't know what editor you're using, but in Milkshape this is accomplished via "reverse vertex order."

bluetexasbonnie - I'm not sure about your first question as I do my mapping in Milkshape and not in UV Mapper, but regarding your second question... yes, the mapping will stay for subsequent manipulations... so yes, you could build half your table, map it, and duplicate and flip it and the mapping would stay the same (just reversed) on your second half. You can use it in other applications - like, say, build one leg of the table, map it, and duplicate it 3 more times and the duplicates will all have the same mapping as the first leg.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#75 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 1:46 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 30th Apr 2008 at 1:48 PM. Reason: HP types faster...
Yes bonnie it does hold the mapping. I am not well versed to say that is the best way to make your table, but it does hold the mapping. Just make sure any new additions contain the same subset name.

Have you tried mapping in milkshape? Don't know around here, but I know I saw one over at TSR from cyclonesue I think.

EDIT: Guess I'm a little slow this morning! Glad too because I love that idea of mapping the legs HP.
Page 3 of 4