Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#76 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 12:25 PM
Well, I have to report that, having gone south a lot more recently, the raider and gunner gangs seem to be getting larger and while I can still kill the buggers fairly quickly, another one or two appear, guns blazing, before I have time to get my health back up. Plus there are more of them in Power Armour (and not the useful kind, I already have a complete raider set). Plus, again, the irridescent death claw was a pain - um, glowing or whatever it was (it's dead now but took some killing. Let's hope the bugger doesn't respawn).

Assaultrons, in my experience, are best killed at a distance with a Very Large Gun. Incidentally, I am now learning the delights of an automatic rifle which I can heartily recommend. You go through ammo fast though so sniper rifles and shotguns are also still recommended.

Things are not helped by the storms and weather mod I'm trying. Very atmospheric but it's difficult to see enemies till you're on top of them when it's foggy. On a clear day though it's lovely.
Screenshots

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 5:22 AM
Assaultrons aren't so bad if you can destroy/cripple their legs before they get close or turn invisible, otherwise you can jump up on things to try and stay out of range. I think only the dominators have almost taken me down and that was because it came from around a corner at close range and went invisible straightaway. Deathclaws more or less the same - anything that melees actually - cripple legs and kite if you can't kill them in a few hits.

Guys in power armor will get out of them if you 'cripple' their fusion core, although it blows up like a mini nuke not long afterwards, so don't try that in close quarters.

Anywhere you have trouble, just sneak and snipe guys, it's so effective I'd almost consider it broken. Or use power armor, fusion cores aren't super-rare in the game.

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Theorist
#78 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 4:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
They can die but I'm suspecting it's only at your hands.

Yep, this is definitely the case. Had super mutants raid a settlement with Missile Launchers and no settlers died. Also another case where a Legendary Bloodbug (one tough bastard) repeatedly attacked a settler and he just sat there till the thing was killed. They sit on the ground till the fight is over, just like your companion does. So I guess the only reason to bother equipping settlers with better armor or weapons is so they can stay in the fight longer and keep the enemy distracted. I do have a hard time when 3 super mutants with Missile Launchers are all targeting me at once. Tried about 5 times to save the Finch farm from those Super Mutants and died within seconds. Ended up having to say, "Sorry Finches, but you're on your own." and skipped that fight. I got a little saddened when the map said the Finch Farm was down to 1 settler, but when I fast-traveled there, I saw everyone was alive and well. Just a few water pumps and turrets damaged and the population jumped back up to 4.

No idea what Covenant is, I haven't gotten that far in the story, I guess. Been busy doing side quests and too many stupid radiant quests from Preston. For awhile, I avoided him because every time I got close to him, he'd give me some stupid quest about kidnapped settlers. Ended up installing a mod to kill radiant quests.

Here's also a time-killing tip that I wish I didn't know, but now that I know it, I can't help but use it: If you command your companion to pick up stuff, they can carry an infinite amount of stuff. However, if they've exceeded their max, they'll only pick up one item at a time. So say a raider or chest has 6 items, you have to command them to inspect it 6 times. I wish I didn't know this, because it's made me an OCD hoarder. Now everywhere I go, "get this", "get that", "pick that up", "pick this up". Until everything in the room is picked up. Oh well, the benefit for that is I seem to be able to build as many of as much as I want on the settlements because I've collected soooo much junk.

Resident wet blanket.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#79 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 5:36 PM
I had a supermutant raid on Greentop last night - there were 8 or so of the b*******s plus three or four dogs (I lost count). Even with a souped up minigun and the X01 power armour (found two nights ago) I couldn't get them killed so I'm afraid I cheated and killed them off in god mode. They didn't even get the brahmin that time but chased after me as I riddled them with bullets. That'll show them.

I don't like cheating like that generally but that was an impossible raid and NO ONE IS DYING on my watch. I think the raids might get worse as you level up. My girl is level 46 now.

Another fix for Preston's endless quests is to complete the last quest you have and inform the settler so the quest is complete and will not time out and then never return to speak to him about it. I sent him off to The Castle (somewhere I rarely go) to get him out of the way for a long time. A new quest will not generate if you don't do the final completion with him. It means you can't have him as a companion though. I had him with me last night since I'd found Quincy and I figured he'd like to go back there and kick some ass.

You can steal the fusion cores if you can sneak up on them - that gets them out too.

Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
Yep, this is definitely the case. Had super mutants raid a settlement with Missile Launchers and no settlers died. Also another case where a Legendary Bloodbug (one tough bastard) repeatedly attacked a settler and he just sat there till the thing was killed.

Is that the multicoloured one? Yes I met that thing too. Not good.

Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
Here's also a time-killing tip that I wish I didn't know, but now that I know it, I can't help but use it: If you command your companion to pick up stuff, they can carry an infinite amount of stuff. However, if they've exceeded their max, they'll only pick up one item at a time. So say a raider or chest has 6 items, you have to command them to inspect it 6 times. I wish I didn't know this, because it's made me an OCD hoarder. Now everywhere I go, "get this", "get that", "pick that up", "pick this up". Until everything in the room is picked up. Oh well, the benefit for that is I seem to be able to build as many of as much as I want on the settlements because I've collected soooo much junk.

Oh yes.

A-hem. I found out you can't recycle supermutant armour so that gets left. Strong can only wear so much at once. I found a blindfold which he's wearing at the moment. I wish I could find a gag for him.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Theorist
#80 Old 14th Jan 2016 at 4:23 PM
Yep, I had been avoiding Preston, but decided I wanted to use him as a companion so I had to install that mod. He's very accommodating. No complaints at all when I put him and my girl in matching sequin dresses.

The Legendary Bloodbugs I've come across look black, but I'd been running into them mostly at sunset/dusk so maybe I didn't get a good look at them.

Unfortunately, vendors will give you money for almost anything, so that's triggered another not-so-fun and impossible-to-shake habit, and that's selling everything I don't use. So yeah, I'll even pick up super mutant armor because it's worth something.
I wish I could have found a gag for Strong too. Fortunately, winning his favor seems to be easy. For as many "Strong disliked that" as I got, I still managed to win him over. I guess you get brownie points from him just for killing. One problem I had with Strong is whenever I'd run out of AP and had to shoot in real-time, Strong would take a lot of friendly fire because I had a hard time telling him apart from the other super mutants. Would have been helpful if I could have put Strong in a dress.

Resident wet blanket.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#81 Old 14th Jan 2016 at 9:04 PM
The only thing I'm selling at the moment is cigarettes. I use them to pay for shotgun shells. Oh and all the .38 ammunition.

Scholar
#82 Old 14th Jan 2016 at 9:49 PM
My settlement, Starlight, has grown rapidly. The main area of the town is a collection of shacks and shops built around a collection of industrial water purifiers. What water the town doesn't use - which is something like 65 bottles - I trade for ammo and building supplies. The town is only half complete at the moment though but I'll try and snap some pictures.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#83 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 8:03 PM
Thought I'd post a picture because there's not enough chat about FO4. Deacon and my girl at Homeplate.

Post pictures.
Screenshots

Theorist
#84 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 5:00 PM Last edited by GnatGoSplat : 9th Feb 2016 at 2:47 PM.
Holy crap that stealth assaultron at Quincy! Fast traveled to sites near Quincy and it killed me 5 times. As soon as I notice something looking a bit watery and realizing it's the stealthed assaultron, bam! I'm dead.
Currently at level 48 playing on Hard and it was impossible not to be killed by it. Came up with a plan that worked. Sneaked up near Quincy, then set up a dozen bottlecap mines along the path from Quincy to Atomatoys, then lured the Gunners out and ran past Atomatoys to let the super mutants deal with them. Fortunately, the assaultron saw the super mutants as the bigger threat and they managed to kill the assaultron while leaving only two super mutants for me to deal with.

Scrounger perk is good for ammo. I think I'm only rank 1, which is plenty. I end up stockpiling a ton of ammo. I have over 8000 .38 ammo since I don't have anything that uses it.

I still can't figure out how Settlers and ammo works. In the previous games, you give anyone 1 ammo, it lasts indefinitely. I'm seeing posts in other forums saying they don't need ammo at all, or they still just need 1 ammo. That's not been my experience, I gave some settlers missile launchers and 5-missiles, but they do use them up and resort back to their default weapon. Maybe big guns are an exception?

Below is my girl as The Silver Shroud.
I wanted to get Sheffield out of his tattered rags, so now he is The Silver Shroud.
Screenshots

Resident wet blanket.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#85 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 9:31 PM Last edited by maxon : 17th Feb 2016 at 5:43 PM.
I use .38 ammo as a substitute for caps - basically sell them .38 ammo to pay for my shotgun cartridges. I also have over 600 stimpacks - I'm playing on normal though, my girl is now level 70, which helps with one-shotting the deathclaws*.

I was thinking as I was walking down towards Goodneighbour last night that things were quiet. 'I'm sure I used to see Supermutants round every corner here'. Then it hit me - she's murdered all of them. Every. Single. One.

*(not that common yet)

Scholar
#86 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 8:14 AM
Settlers only need one piece of ammo for normal guns and they'll have an infinite amount of ammunition. Fat Mans and missile launchers don't count though and they'll use up whatever you've given them, then switch to another weapon.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#87 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 7:01 PM Last edited by marka93 : 13th Feb 2016 at 9:33 PM.
Well with over 800 hours and 100% achievements and have completed all 4 walkthrough's its time for something new and I found 1.

Now I will go in and try the "Best Good" ending possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUFEeYdQnVc

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Theorist
#88 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
Settlers only need one piece of ammo for normal guns and they'll have an infinite amount of ammunition. Fat Mans and missile launchers don't count though and they'll use up whatever you've given them, then switch to another weapon.

That explains it. I guess missile launchers aren't the best to give to my settlers since they use them up. I've managed to stockpile dozens of them though. Maybe I'll give them all miniguns instead. Or maybe both.

Anyone ever found synths masquerading as settlers? I read that's possible, and Dogmeat can flush them out by having him inspect a settler. I'm interested to try, my settlements all have at least a dozen settlers so if this happens, surely I could have at least one synth infiltrator.

Really hoping the Creation Kit or GECK comes out soon. I'm really interested to begin modding.

Resident wet blanket.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#89 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 5:35 PM Last edited by maxon : 17th Feb 2016 at 7:01 PM.
Yeah I'm interested to try my hand too.

You can get synths as settlers though the discovery can be bugged so beware what you wish for. I had to fix it once with a console command.

LOL Marka - I have ~350 hours and I haven't even finished act 2.

My girl's been hanging round with this guy (pic). I dunno. Think I still like Nick the best (and Dogmeat of course). Also, Diamond City can look cool (though I hardly ever go there - just to sell spare guns and buy shipments of wood).
Screenshots

Field Researcher
#90 Old 18th Feb 2016 at 5:39 AM
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...ep-it-for-free/

I am going to leave this here and run far away before everyone gets in!

I am MOHAAPlayer on Discord
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 10:24 PM
Been building in this game as well. Quite enjoyable i must say. Tho some more CC for objects would be nice.
Screenshots
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#92 Old 30th May 2018 at 7:47 PM
Ah Fallout - it's been a year since I really played. Never did finish the storyline. Built a lot though.

Mad Poster
#93 Old 30th May 2018 at 10:03 PM
Ah yes, Fallout 4, love it (and all the Fallout series) - Maxon, I hope you'll go back and finish it sometime, and also play the Far Harbour DLC, which is a great game in itself. OrennaKhali, if you come back to this thread, I like your builds!

Love both building in this game and creating cc for it. I enjoyed turning the very challenging and unpleasant Murkwater Construction Site into something actually liveable and cozy, with an old village type of style. (A bit like this village! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfYctvfawps )

The horrible swamp out back now has a pleasant boardwalk pier with bar and trading stall.

I turned Kingsport into a wooden seaside shanty town.

And Hangman's Alley into a warren of airborne loft apartments, leaving the ground floor area free for shops and restaurant.

Also enjoy making cc for the game (so far mostly recolours of wearables and furnishings, a couple of small new meshes, am currently trying to figure out making custom companions).

I find it both a fun game to play and really inspiring to get creative with!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#94 Old 31st May 2018 at 1:47 AM
Oh I did Far Harbour (I had the season pass) - just forgot who Shaun was.

Did you see Marka's thread about FO 76?

You did better with Murkwater than I did - I found that location depressing. I did get some clean up the sites mods though. Ugh. I confess I got into TS2 play-a-neighbourhood mode and wanted to make all the sites interdependent.

I built a small city at Starlight Drive in - I had all my suits of armour on display there.

Mad Poster
#95 Old 31st May 2018 at 2:36 PM
Ahhh, when you said you hadn't finished it, I thought you meant you hadn't played the DLCs either. Oh that's so funny that you forgot who Shaun was - I think a lot of players would like to forget about him!

I hadn't seen Marka's thread on FO 76 before, just peeked at it now. I'll have to wait for more details on what FO 76 is really going to consist of, as there's so much speculation at the moment, but if it's going to be multi-player always-online only, I'll probably not be interested. There was some mention of maybe being able to run it on private servers and just playing with one's own friends, which would be better, but I'd rather have an option for offline single-player. Looks like an interesting story/premise, in any case!

Oh yes, Murkwater is really depressing and uninspiring. I'm on my 2nd FO4 playthrough and on my first one, I left Murkwater until after the end of the game's main story, at which point I got more interested in trying to do something with the settlements, which I had neglected so far. In that game, I ended up going all out with vault atrium pieces at Murkwater, building a huge fortress-like structure over both the land and the water, a spacious arcology where everyone lived and worked inside and didn't have to venture out at all. The place was protected by an army of robot guards thanks to Automatron. But in my current game, I've been going more 'organic' with making most settlements wooden and cozy and funky, so this time Murkwater got turned into the ancient Icelandic swamp village sort of idea and it's actually quite a welcoming place now, with 20 settlers plus also the Railroad Caretaker guy because the RR decided Murkwater was going to be their Mercer Safehouse this time. So it's pretty thriving and lively.

Yes, Starlight makes a good location for a small city - I did that in my last game too. This time, I haven't decided quite what to do with it yet, but I did, as last time, lay a wooden flooring boardwalk all around the puddle and put lounge chairs, exercise equipment and picnic benches all over the boardwalk, plus a bar and trade stands. Makes a nice poolside resort sort of effect! For some reason, I have a BoS vertibird pilot standing next to the pool who suddenly appeared one day and never leaves now - every time I happen to return to Starlight, she's still there, in the same position. I guess she's still trying to make up her mind whether to go for a dip or not. I love Fallout 4 glitches!

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#96 Old 31st May 2018 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Esmeralda
But in my current game, I've been going more 'organic' with making most settlements wooden and cozy and funky, so this time Murkwater got turned into the ancient Icelandic swamp village sort of idea and it's actually quite a welcoming place now, with 20 settlers plus also the Railroad Caretaker guy because the RR decided Murkwater was going to be their Mercer Safehouse this time. So it's pretty thriving and lively.

Oh is it not always there - because that's where the Railroad put the Caretaker in my main playthrough too. Actually, thinking of the place as some sort of Viking or Celtic settlement site might help. Good choice. The south end of the map is generally not too pleasant to visit is it? Too dark. I quite liked going to the Glowing Sea (as long as you avoid the deathclaws and the radscorpions) - very atmospheric. I was amazed to find the Atom settlement. But I got distracted after the first visit and never went back.

Quote: Originally posted by Esmeralda
Yes, Starlight makes a good location for a small city - I did that in my last game too. This time, I haven't decided quite what to do with it yet, but I did, as last time, lay a wooden flooring boardwalk all around the puddle and put lounge chairs, exercise equipment and picnic benches all over the boardwalk, plus a bar and trade stands. Makes a nice poolside resort sort of effect! For some reason, I have a BoS vertibird pilot standing next to the pool who suddenly appeared one day and never leaves now - every time I happen to return to Starlight, she's still there, in the same position. I guess she's still trying to make up her mind whether to go for a dip or not. I love Fallout 4 glitches!

It's the brahmins that get me for the most part. You find them in the upper floor of a house or stuck in other ridiculous places. Also the game decided to give me my first brahmin at Hangman's Alley and I couldn't work out if I could send it away. Pointless place for a brahmin. It annoyed me I had to build a trough for it and then I have this rule about the marauding supermutants not being allowed to kill my brahmins...

If I decide to have a summer playthrough - if FO 76 looks promising - I think I'll go over to Nexus and see if there are any more mods available. I DL some of the earlier graphics mods. That was pretty good.

Mad Poster
#97 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 6:28 PM
The Mercer Safehouse location changes from game to game. It was Murkwater in my last game, this time they gave me Hangman's Alley but I reloaded (for a different reason) and when I went back in, they gave me Murkwater instead! Yes, I think Murkwater does well as a funky ancient village setting. I actually already made it that way before I saw the Viking village video I linked to in my above post - I stumbled across that video a few days afterwards and thought 'OMG, that's like my Murkwater!!!', ha ha. Here's a little video I made of a quickie stroll around Murkwater to hopefully give you some extra inspiration as to how it can be made into a cozy site instead of a crappy horrible swamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MudqdOEtTdI . (BTW, the reason the beds are in the middle of the room in the first cabin I go into instead of against the left-hand wall, is that the middle of the cabin was where the Workshop boundary cuts out, so I could go no further, ha ha)

Oh yes, Brahmins in inappropriate places seems to be a feature of FO4. You haven't lived unless you have Trashcan Carla's pack cow either standing on the roof at Sanctuary or dangling from the front bedroom ceiling. I hope you'll have a summer playthrough and enjoy it, and there are tons of mods on Nexus by now. I don't use many, just a few things I myself find essential such as the Full Dialogue Interface, Unlimited Companions, Player Voice Frequency Slider, plus a handful of small mods, and my own stuff.

Re Fallout 76, I still don't know what to make of that - can only hope it's good! I think many folks (me included) were hoping for a Fallout New Vegas 2, but FO76's premise sounds like it could be interesting.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#98 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 11:41 PM
Ah - see it's raining. It's nearly always raining there. LOL at some of the outfits. I liked your guard in pink and your cheerful bright colours. Maybe I should have a go at some recolours. I see you got Danse out of his armour too (about time). I love Dogmeat - there's a pair of kennels at every site in my game - for him and the resident guard dog. There's even a cat to chase at Sanctuary. I should recolour those, if it's possible, they're all grey otherwise. I want a nice tabby. I've never modded or recoloured for FO4.

The mods I liked best were the weather ones and the one that put leaves on the trees and made the grass fuller. I found it very unconvincing that after 200 years or whatever it is that the trees hadn't started to recover. You only have to look at Chernobyl/Pripyat to see what it should be like. I also made extensive use of the one that allowed you to delete crap and the other one that let you build stuff in the red (to put the fences closer together). That irritated me about the fences at first. I know a lot of people use the snapable stuff to build fences round settlements but I liked those fence pieces. I also downloaded a mod of the original build pieces - you know, how the house was before the bomb. That was a pretty nice set. I built all over Far Harbour with that. They have nice clean homes now even if the weather is still crap. Don't you just want to clean the whole place up? I mean, c'mon guys, it's been 200 years... can't we at least sweep up a bit?

Mad Poster
#99 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 6:57 PM
Funnily enough, when I first shot that Murkwater walkabout video, it was nice and sunny. But I wasn't happy with the resulting video, so reloaded and did it again, and upon reloading, the weather was dark and stormy as you see there! Arrgghh. Thanks for liking my colourful recolours, I like making bright and vibrant fabrics and playing dress-up with the settlers and companions. I base the clothing and furniture patterns on real Mid Century Modern/Atomic fabrics, to be lore-friendly. Just because it's the post-apocalypse, doesn't mean everyone can't have cheery clothes and decor! I just pretend that someone found a pre-war upholstery warehouse with tons of intact fabrics, and many colourful outfits and furnishings ensued. I made gaudy default replacements of all the Dirty Suits and Patched Suits, and it's fun to see who they turn up on, such as finding this outfit on ALL of the Goodneighbor guards, ha ha:

LOL. Yes, definitely admiring the clothes, buddy.

Yes, do have a go at making recolours - have you found any tutorials? They're very hard to find, and I had to be mostly self-taught, hence it took me a long time to start making stuff for upload and I'm still struggling and learning - making stuff for FO4 is a long, steep learning curve. (Unless you've already made stuff for previous Fallout or Elder Scrolls games, which I hadn't.) If you need advice getting started, do ask me, and I've also written and uploaded some basic tutorials on recolouring clothes and on importing a glasses mesh. (Am not sure about recolouring cats, though, but it may be possible!) It's a much longer and tedious process than making stuff for Sims games, but worth it for the fun of it.

It's an often-debated subject as to why the wasteland is still such a mess 200 years after the war. My theory is that it's been like the Dark Ages, or even prehistoric age, all over again: all of the pre-war tech and knowledge is gone, aside from the BoS and the Institute who both keep it all to themselves, not trusting the uneducated ruffians who now populate the world to be able to handle such knowledge. People who were born post-war have no concept of sweeping things up or rebuilding the ruins, they've never known anything different, so it doesn't bother them. Their only priorities are clean water, food, a place to sleep, and keeping from getting killed. Well, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#100 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 9:13 PM
Looks like they found a curtains factory! Fun though. I'd have no idea where to start with FO tbh. I assume you'd need some kind of utility to extract the materials to start with.

Page 4 of 5