Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1267
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 42 (Who?), Viewed: 6464 times.
Search this Thread
Old 20th Jun 2017, 11:45 AM #26
Tinen
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 70


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
The problem is that no one is really getting hurt anyway. No one is going to study to become a psychiatrist from a video game. I genuinely don't don't feel hurt by the inaccurate portrayal of mental illnesses I suffer from, especially in a fictional context. If it were a professional psychologist/psychiatrist portraying the symptoms inaccurately. Or an in-depth documentary or clinical study that got things wrong, then I would be a lot more concerned and disappointed. I'm more worried about getting an accurate treatment for the illnesses I suffer from than an accurate portrayal in popular media and Hollywood. No one is going to take a video game seriously.

Fiction can't hurt anyone, that's what's so fun about it.


I think you meant to say " you are not personally hurt by this in any way" Because ´you´ not being hurt by it, does not mean that anyone else are not...
Personally; I felt weirded out, when I saw how this trait was displayed even though I knew it was a fictional and humorous take on something that is very damn serious irl... I was able to see past it; for my own good and because I did see that it wasn't suppose to display the condition in a very serious way. However; some people out there might actually find it hurtful, when people take something as serious as an antisocial trait and makes "fun" of it, without even explaining in the describtion; that it does not display a realistic version of what it is to be antisocial...

There are also people out there; who possibly doesn't have a strong sense of what is real and what is not meant to be real. Those people might see this trait as displaying a little too much of what it actually means to be antisocial. I am not trying to say that people will see a trait for ts4 as realism by default, but some people might take it more serious than others... If they do, then it could be harmful and shape a very unrealistic pre-justice against people who suffer with being antisocial..
I am not sure how else to put it...

I am not against traits that are clearly a humorous take on something even if that something is a serious matter; but I am against not explaining to people, that it is supposed to be an unrealistic and humorous take on it.

I hope that you can understand my point now...

Also; you say " No one is going to take a video game seriously " and that "fiction cannot hurt anyone"... I must say that I strongly disagree with you on that...
I wish that everyone could see fiction for what it was, when needed; but that is not the case in many situations.. People read into everything and some fictional stories will always be taken much more seriously, than intended by the writer of them..
Old 20th Jun 2017, 10:04 PM #27
ShigemiNotoge
Theorist

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,184
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by VerDeTerre
Let's not attack the straw man. This isn't an argument about accuracy in the game, it's specifically about not deliberately misrepresenting a population of people in a negative manner.

.-. That post was intended at a 100% sarcastic, comedic break from a heavy topic that's clearly got many people upset... please don't taint it.
Old 20th Jun 2017, 10:18 PM #28
VerDeTerre
Mad Poster

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,501


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
.-. That post was intended at a 100% sarcastic, comedic break from a heavy topic that's clearly got many people upset... please don't taint it.
Wait...that was sarcastic? So, does that mean that you didn't mean any of the following?
Quote:
First of all; it is a video game. It is intended to be displayed in a fictional way whether that is expressly stated or not.

Quote:
IDK about anyone else, but I have never once seen something in the sims 4 and thought "wow, this must be a 100% accurate portrayal of real life. There is no possible way anything in this could be exaggerated or inaccurate. I'm going to take this at face value as being real and true."

Quote:
No one is going to take a video game seriously.
Fiction can't hurt anyone, that's what's so fun about it.

Because the photo you provided and your quip (Both of which were funny!) did seem to be backing up those claims. I didn't mean to taint anything. The sarcasm is a bit confusing online.

This is a heavy topic. Most topics in the debate section are....

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Last edited by VerDeTerre : 20th Jun 2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 21st Jun 2017, 12:29 AM #29
Reitanna
Field Researcher

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 239
Thanks: 54 in 6 Posts
2 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra575
Go back and look at the post I was referring to. Not only did you use all caps multiple times, but your argument wasn't exactly calm and collected. I can't read your mind, and I think most people who saw your post would assume you were pretty annoyed. I'm not sure what your issue is with me, given that half the time you're yelling things at me (your first post was telling me how rude I am multiple times, which does sound angry), and then in a post a few minutes ago you just agreed with me and said I hit the nail on the head. I'm not sure what else to say to you.


T_T I use caps instead of italics for emphasis unless I need to emphasize the word "I." I'm sorry, but you cannot hear my tone of voice when you read my text, nor anyone else's. like I said, you would KNOW if I were raging at you, trust me, I am not subtle. you claim I was yelling at you. 'THIS IS YELLING!! THIS IS F***ING YELLING!! that's an example, I'm not actually yelling at you. and yeah, I did agree with you. and if you said something rude, then you said something rude. that's just how it is. I figure it's normal to be able to express thoughts like this without feeling annoyed or angry. honestly, I can't really remember the last time I got angry over something on the internet. but it's like... come on, don't assume things. if you're confused about someone's tone, then ASK the person how they meant it so you're not accusing someone of something. if you were to hear me speaking, it'd be a calm tone, which is the tone I am hearing in my head as I type it all out. I say what's on my mind, yes, but if it's not always pleasant to hear, it surely doesn't mean I'm in any way upset. I'm frustrated about people's reaction to the trait, but frustration isn't on par with anger. to me, I read my words and think my intent is obvious. I don't know if this is due to social anxiety, and I don't know how to speak to people, or if this is due to being sociopathic, which prevents me from realizing it could somehow be taken another way. to me, intention is clear, and through text, people have learned to emote because of the lack of ability to hear tone. I know I'm not the only person who uses capitalization as emphasis, I've seen it ALL the time for YEARS. I mean, when you look at a fully capitalized word, your brain automatically reads it with more emphasis. this is a point where I'd like to say, "duh," but then I have to remember that I've found sometimes what's obvious to me isn't so obvious to other people, and I honestly don't know or understand the reason behind it. whether or not I know how to speak to people, it is never okay to just blindly accuse someone of something with no justified explanation. as I said, if I were angry, what I'd be saying would get me banned from this site. I never sugarcoat things, I never beat around the bush, I'm straight forward like people should be. honestly, if you said something rude and I called you out on it, it should cause you to step back and reflect on your behavior. now, if somehow you are reading this in a sassy or angered tone, please turn back and read it in a calm, professional one. a misunderstanding due to no audible voice is not a fault of my own.
Old 21st Jun 2017, 12:30 AM #30
ShigemiNotoge
Theorist

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,184
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by VerDeTerre
Wait...that was sarcastic? So, does that mean that you didn't mean any of the following?



Because the photo you provided and your quip (Both of which were funny!) did seem to be backing up those claims. I didn't mean to taint anything. The sarcasm is a bit confusing online.

This is a heavy topic. Most topics in the debate section are....

Someone mentioned the baby BBQ mod. I remembered a funny picture that reminded me of it. I felt I'd share it for a lighthearted, innocent moment in an otherwise very heavy topic.

A sim who enjoys being cooked, both as a baby and now as an adult - it's a comical concept that puts a new spin on the mod's intention.
Old 21st Jun 2017, 12:32 AM #31
Reitanna
Field Researcher

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 239
Thanks: 54 in 6 Posts
2 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by EloquentMyDear
As I feel this is the right place to bring it up - why couldn't the eating disorder trait remain, or be changed a bit? Many people, myself included, who suffer from anorexia found it appropriate. Others didn't, and that's fine, just as some people with ASD find the autism trait appropriate and others don't. Though I don't know if pressure to remove the anorexia trait came from the site mods or comments.


wait, there's an anorexia trait that didn't get removed for being inaccurate? well that's dumb, eating disorders ARE mental illnesses. I almost feel like it's hypocritical. then again, I haven't heard nice things about the mods here.
Old 21st Jun 2017, 12:34 AM #32
Reitanna
Field Researcher

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 239
Thanks: 54 in 6 Posts
2 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingEchoes
Yes, lets all fight for video game authenticity, after all, can't have anything uploaded to MTS that hasn't been thoroughly researched first. I'm just hoping Pescado didn't do too much hands on research for his Baby BBQ mod that he uploaded back in 2009 that is still hosted on this website to this very day.

I'd like less accurate real world issues and authenticity in my fantasy video game escapism thank you very much, I'll keep my mental health issues where they're suppose to be, In CBT Group and Therapy. The internet isn't suppose to be a safe space okay, it's full of fetish porn, trolls and idiot youtubers falling over themselves for likes. You want an accurate portrayal of sociopathy, read Susanna Kaysen, but don't go turning on The Sims 4 hoping to find it, because you won't.


an earlier post of mine is a perfect reply to this very close minded and insensitive statement. not everyone is you.
Old 21st Jun 2017, 12:35 AM #33
ShigemiNotoge
Theorist

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,184
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reitanna
wait, there's an anorexia trait that didn't get removed for being inaccurate? well that's dumb, eating disorders ARE mental illnesses. I almost feel like it's hypocritical. then again, I haven't heard nice things about the mods here.

I think she's upset that it DID get taken down, that's the issue, because she enjoyed the trait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reitanna
an earlier post of mine is a perfect reply to this very close minded and insensitive statement. not everyone is you.

I think BOTH sides are being closed minded, and that's the bigger issue.
Old 21st Jun 2017, 12:37 AM #34
Reitanna
Field Researcher

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 239
Thanks: 54 in 6 Posts
2 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
I think she's upset that it DID get taken down, that's the issue, because she enjoyed the trait.


I think BOTH sides are being closed minded, and that's the bigger issue.


oh, I misunderstood... well then that's still just as bad. as for your second statement, what do you mean?
Old 21st Jun 2017, 12:43 AM #35
ShigemiNotoge
Theorist

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,184
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reitanna
oh, I misunderstood... well then that's still just as bad. as for your second statement, what do you mean?

I think both sides are unwilling to see each others' points of view.

The side that wants to prevent the spread of misinformation, even in a fictional context that could potentially cause harm and misunderstanding.

And the side that wants a free and open venue in which to express creativity and entertainment, free from the over-sensitivity of a politically correct society.

Both unwilling to understand where the other is coming from.

For example I don't understand how people are so easily hurt by things that don't matter. And you don't understand why I don't realise how much it matters. :x
Old 21st Jun 2017, 10:26 AM #36
Terra575
Test Subject

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reitanna
T_T I use caps instead of italics for emphasis unless I need to emphasize the word "I." I'm sorry, but you cannot hear my tone of voice when you read my text, nor anyone else's. like I said, you would KNOW if I were raging at you, trust me, I am not subtle. you claim I was yelling at you. 'THIS IS YELLING!! THIS IS F***ING YELLING!! that's an example, I'm not actually yelling at you. and yeah, I did agree with you. and if you said something rude, then you said something rude. that's just how it is. I figure it's normal to be able to express thoughts like this without feeling annoyed or angry. honestly, I can't really remember the last time I got angry over something on the internet. but it's like... come on, don't assume things. if you're confused about someone's tone, then ASK the person how they meant it so you're not accusing someone of something. if you were to hear me speaking, it'd be a calm tone, which is the tone I am hearing in my head as I type it all out. I say what's on my mind, yes, but if it's not always pleasant to hear, it surely doesn't mean I'm in any way upset. I'm frustrated about people's reaction to the trait, but frustration isn't on par with anger. to me, I read my words and think my intent is obvious. I don't know if this is due to social anxiety, and I don't know how to speak to people, or if this is due to being sociopathic, which prevents me from realizing it could somehow be taken another way. to me, intention is clear, and through text, people have learned to emote because of the lack of ability to hear tone. I know I'm not the only person who uses capitalization as emphasis, I've seen it ALL the time for YEARS. I mean, when you look at a fully capitalized word, your brain automatically reads it with more emphasis. this is a point where I'd like to say, "duh," but then I have to remember that I've found sometimes what's obvious to me isn't so obvious to other people, and I honestly don't know or understand the reason behind it. whether or not I know how to speak to people, it is never okay to just blindly accuse someone of something with no justified explanation. as I said, if I were angry, what I'd be saying would get me banned from this site. I never sugarcoat things, I never beat around the bush, I'm straight forward like people should be. honestly, if you said something rude and I called you out on it, it should cause you to step back and reflect on your behavior. now, if somehow you are reading this in a sassy or angered tone, please turn back and read it in a calm, professional one. a misunderstanding due to no audible voice is not a fault of my own.


You're being very hypocritical. Let me break this down for you. The first time you replied to me, you replied to a small post I had made in which I just said I think mental illness should be portrayed accurately. Without knowing my tone, as you could not apply a voice to my words, you replied by saying I was being very very rude. So not only did you make assumptions about my tone, but you randomly insulted me for it. (for something that wasn't being rude at all)

When I called you out on that, and said you sounded angry at me, now you're saying that no one should assume anything about anyone's tone. And yet, you were the first one to do that. And instead of acknowledging that maybe I wasn't being rude, you're telling me that simply because you decided that I was rude, it means that I was indeed rude. AKA you're telling me what my intentions in my post were, regardless of anything else I say. And yet when I start doing that to you (by claiming you were angry) now you're ranting about how tone and voice is always obvious in your posts. So in conclusion you're saying that no one should ever assume anything about your tone, and yet they should also somehow know exactly what tone you're using, because it's obvious to you. You want me to give your tone the benefit of the doubt, and yet you've called me rude several times without knowing my tone.

Can't you see how hypocritical you're being?

And also, just a piece of advice; for writers, capitalizing letters is meant to convey yelling. If you just want to emphasize your words, you should italicize, underline, or bold. Because from a technical standpoint, capitalizing represents shouting, which is why you seemed so angry.
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 1:33 AM #37
BlindingEchoes
Lab Assistant

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 176


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reitanna
an earlier post of mine is a perfect reply to this very close minded and insensitive statement. not everyone is you.


And not everyone is you, no one will ever be one hundred percent happy with a piece of custom content that connects to a real world issue. Some will like it, some won't, a some won't give a damn either way. The problem starts when people come in and begin to complain and demand that that piece of content be changed to their exact specifications otherwises it is to be taken down. That anyone who doesn't agree with them is wrong, that anyone who wants to use that piece of content is wrong. It is not yours or anyone else's decision what I do or do not use in my game, how realistic or how cartoonishly buffoonish I want my game.

This argument that it's somehow spreading 'misinformation' about what it's like to live with that type of mental illness, no it's not. You know why? Because this is a gaming forum and website, it's not a research website. Anyone looking for information on sociopathy or likewise mental illnesses aren't going to think; hmmm, should I go to health.gov or modthesims? No come comes here for information, them come here for mods, hairs, dumb traits, and to bitch about the fact that there's still no seasons in Sims 4.

If you get offended by something as mundane as a piece of game content, that says more about having an issue within yourself than it does with the actual content. Which is fine, everyone has issues that they need to deal with, it's part of life. But when you're in the, admittedly loud, minority attacking a creator for piece of harmless content, that's when you cross a line. Unless there's something truly heinous about the content, for example; racism, sexism, homophobia, violence against children (again must I point out the still hosted Baby BBQ?). Unless it's something extreme like that, then people who complain about something as silly as a sociopath trait come off as, and I'm going to use a technical term here, self important whiners. Saying that the trait made sociopath's seems cartoonish evil, of course it did, it's the Sims 4, they're cartoons!

Besides, I can't be the only person who actually knows sociopaths who actually are cartoonishly evil? I grew up with two of them in my house, it was like living with Snidely Whiplash.
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 7:03 AM #38
VerDeTerre
Mad Poster

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,501


All of those points were already raised in this thread and all of them have been responded to. To recap: People are not complaining about what people mod for the game or what they put in the game, but to simply include a disclaimer of sorts. It's fine to play with stereotypes, just please recognize that they are stereotypes.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 10:47 PM #39
Reitanna
Field Researcher

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 239
Thanks: 54 in 6 Posts
2 Achievements


I didn't read any of the new replies. I'm no longer posting here because, for one, I can't keep up with the dang thing, and for two... well, I'm tired of dealing with the idiots. not saying all of you are idiots, but there's only just so much stupid I can take.
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 4:34 AM #40
VerDeTerre
Mad Poster

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,501


Has anyone read the rules to posting in the debate room lately? We've seem to be slipping. Maybe we could try to follow these guidelines: http://modthesims.info/announcement...ouncementid=140

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 6:26 PM #41
Terra575
Test Subject

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reitanna
I didn't read any of the new replies. I'm no longer posting here because, for one, I can't keep up with the dang thing, and for two... well, I'm tired of dealing with the idiots. not saying all of you are idiots, but there's only just so much stupid I can take.


Thank you for your very thoughtful and engaging reply.
Old 24th Jun 2017, 9:53 AM #42
ShigemiNotoge
Theorist

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,184
1 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reitanna
I'm tired of dealing with the idiots. not saying all of you are idiots, but there's only just so much stupid I can take.

I got rid of all my mirrors. It works.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 6:06 PM #43
EloquentMyDear
Lab Assistant

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 143


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
I think she's upset that it DID get taken down, that's the issue, because she enjoyed the trait.


I think BOTH sides are being closed minded, and that's the bigger issue.


*They're saying, not she please Only just looked at this thread again.
Reply


Section jump:


Powered by MariaDB Some icons by http://dryicons.com.