Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1327
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 120 (Who?), Viewed: 46137 times.
Search this Thread
Old 12th Jul 2016, 6:37 PM #101
pikeman101
Instructor

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 489


Watch this video and tell me it's not racism toward white people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKgoGNAvmrk

You can have a version with witty commentary, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deB2v-OCwHw
Old 13th Jul 2016, 2:42 AM #102
HarVee
Banned

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,973
Thanks: 192 in 7 Posts
5 Achievements


Define "white"? What is "white" person? Someone with light-skin? Making assumption that someone with lighter-coloured skin is "white" (meaning to be of Europid ancestry) in its self is racist. So answer is obvious to something that doesn't even need debate - yes "white" people can experience racism. If you have race, you can experience racism.
Old 13th Jul 2016, 5:27 AM #103
Viktor86
Theorist

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,203
Thanks: 444 in 3 Posts
5 Achievements


White in this context is mostly referred to the Caucasian race and more precisely the native European groups (Germanic*/Scandinavian & Slavic) and their descendants around the world (f.e. the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand), but this is pretty broad. There are only much differences between Germanic (roughly Western Europe), Slavic (roughly Eastern Europe & South East) amongst others.

And yes, the only point of debate is if it's likely to happen, not if it's possible at all.

*Another term is Aryan, but using that term is de facto not done here since WWII, because it's polluted thanks the regime of Adolf Hitler and his search for the ''Aryan'' race. Do not try this while being in Europe. Must say, I'm really not comfortable using the term race in this context, probably due to the same events and my Dutch-German background. I prefer ethnic groups over race, but I rather talk about people and not about ethnic groups. For me, a race is a sports event over a certain course within a certain time.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Old 2nd Aug 2016, 8:37 PM #104
Lawli-Lawli
Lab Assistant

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 85


Quote:
Originally Posted by quesadildos
White people definitely used to be quite racism and sexist (white men, typically), but now in 2014, we've definitely come a lot farther than a time when women and coloured people couldn't even vote.


Indeed. It's nice to be able to vote now, but the US has a looong way to before we can start celebrating. (Of course I know this was asked 2 yrs ago but sadly the social issues then are same ones we face now).

Quote:
I've definitely heard the offhand white girl joke, which most people think it okay, because, well they're just white people, right? You've probably be yelled at if it was an asian joke, ect. White people (specifically white men) aren't typically oppressed in anyway, but can racism still happen to them? I have heard some people say things like "White people are so rude," and "White people are all so stupid" which definitely doesn't apply to a whole race. Watch this video, it's rather informative, watch it before you comment (this is what I agree with completely): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATigGdnF3Uk What do you think?


To answer your question, hell yes! I have heard and seen many instances where Caucasians were the shit end of a nasty joke, but when the tables are turned, there is an uproar/march/protest. Every person on the face of this earth can be a racist or can make a racist comment. This isn't an exclusive thing by no means.

I look forward to the day when we can rationally talk about social issues and get through them without Caucasian people crying "oppression" and people of color don't take this as an opportunity blame today's Caucasians for something they don't understand and didn't create (though knowingly/unknowingly perpetuate). This is a perfect opportunity to educate each other and hear each other out rather than point and bitch.

Been downloading like crazy...so many great creators here! Neglecting forums...will be back soon...ish.
Old 2nd Aug 2016, 10:36 PM #105
deadhead_kay
Lab Assistant

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 143


Every race can experience racism. But whites have never, and most likely will never, experience institutional racism. And that is by far much worse than any joke about a white trash cracker.
Old 4th Sep 2016, 6:49 PM #106
Averex
Instructor

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 542
Thanks: 426 in 7 Posts
5 Achievements


Of course white people can experience racism. It happens from BuzzFeed (aka the cancer of the Internet) all the time.

Just watch this video and try to tell me that it's not racist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZFY0dqC0Ks
Old 4th Sep 2016, 7:24 PM #107
Averex
Instructor

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 542
Thanks: 426 in 7 Posts
5 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaOhSerena
You do not experience racism. And it's likely you never will. Same goes for all white people.

Why do people think like this?

Anybody can experience racism.

The whole bullshit SJW definition of racism that you need to be privileged and have power to be racist is NOT TRUE. The dictionary definition is what is true. Black people can be racist and white people can experience racism as long as somebody of a different race thinks their race is superior.

And by the way, "You don't experience racism and never will" is an extremely condescending thing to say to someone that you know little to nothing about.
Old 5th Sep 2016, 5:23 AM #108
Viktor86
Theorist

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,203
Thanks: 444 in 3 Posts
5 Achievements


'Saying racism doesn't exist for 'all white people''

The irony is big in that one looking at those last three words of that quote from Serena. But hey, we can't complain, because we're white and thus can't face racism. But, doesn't the usage of that term sound very racist to you? Oh no, it isn't. Unless there's ''all black people'', than we're in trouble.

Besides it doesn't make sense, it isn't true. The anchestors of the latino's, many of them discriminated in the USA, are for a large part from Southern Europe, a group counted as part from the ''white'' race mentioned in #103. Oh wait, aren't there the white people from and a lot of Latino's, don't they look pretty light/white to you? Hmm, a lot of native Western European hate and discriminate the Slavic Eastern Europeans, considering them another race though the Eastern Europeans seem pretty white to me. And hey, doesn't that fellow from Zimbabwe, Robert Mugabe, everything in favour of his fellow black people over their own white people?

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Old 5th Sep 2016, 7:46 PM #109
Averex
Instructor

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 542
Thanks: 426 in 7 Posts
5 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor86
'Saying racism doesn't exist for 'all white people''

The irony is big in that one looking at those last three words of that quote from Serena. But hey, we can't complain, because we're white and thus can't face racism. But, doesn't the usage of that term sound very racist to you? Oh no, it isn't. Unless there's ''all black people'', than we're in trouble.

Besides it doesn't make sense, it isn't true. The anchestors of the latino's, many of them discriminated in the USA, are for a large part from Southern Europe, a group counted as part from the ''white'' race mentioned in #103. Oh wait, aren't there the white people from and a lot of Latino's, don't they look pretty light/white to you? Hmm, a lot of native Western European hate and discriminate the Slavic Eastern Europeans, considering them another race though the Eastern Europeans seem pretty white to me. And hey, doesn't that fellow from Zimbabwe, Robert Mugabe, everything in favour of his fellow black people over their own white people?

Can't forget the way the Irish were treated by the British in the 16th/17th centuries and how they were treated when they immigrated to the U.S. in the 19th century.

Minority races act like they're the only ones who have problems...
Old 6th Sep 2016, 2:08 AM #110
Viktor86
Theorist

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,203
Thanks: 444 in 3 Posts
5 Achievements


And in some cases extremely sensitive. Even when you just disagree on their opinion (based on normal arguments) or when they say a false fact (f.e. 1+1=3) and you denying that, its racism. Or they can call a white person the most extreme insults (even racist one), it's all fine, but when you say anything negative about/against them, not necessarily an insult (f.e. normal criticism), it's racist. Serious, some people need to go to school to learn some differences between real racism and other things and act less hypocrite.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Old 29th Jan 2017, 10:10 PM #111
ShanghaiShark
Test Subject

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7


Everybody can be rassist and everybody can be a victim of racism. That doesn't depend on the skin colour. To say anything else does a disservice to people who really are suffering from racism.
Old 10th Oct 2017, 2:12 AM #112
ikabarrplaysims
Test Subject

Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9


What's this question? Of course, everyone can experience racism. It's a mean thing to do, and usually everyone has/is going to go through it. Sorry, it's a sick world.
Old 14th Oct 2017, 10:27 PM #113
SneakyWingPhoenix
Scholar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,348


^ Exactly the start I wanted to begin with. Why is even a question?
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 11:54 PM #114
Johnny_Bravo
Alchemist

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,565
Thanks: 8009 in 85 Posts
14 Achievements

View My Journal


Thank God I'm a privileged, opressing white male, I would hate to experience racism.

German humor isn't a laughing matter.
__________
Need help building? We'll help.
Old 28th Oct 2017, 1:30 AM #115
chakwaina
Test Subject

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8


To say it with Obama's words: YES, we can!
Being white doesn't mean you're unable to experience racism. Either if you are for example African American, Chinese, Thai, Russian, Polish, Turkish, German, Native American or anything else you can or can not experience racism. Of course there are a lot of ethnic groups wich ~ sad but true ~ know much, much more racism than others do, and even in our oh so civilized humanity we still can't get over it and accept each other as what we are: homo sapiens. We call ourselves civilized, but about 90% are unable to even spell this word accurate,not to mention that they really know what it really means. That's a talking point that burns me up - so much that a volcano could freeze to ice. *argh*

I'm so pissed about this because i made my own experiences with this subject matter.

Mostly, racism is a culturally-rooted thing. Only a few percent of racists have some other "reasons" to be what and who they are.

And no matter which culture - each of them has their own "enemy" in race or religion or whatsoever.... Sometimes i wonder what's going on in the brain of that people, and why they are so bored that they've got enough time to arrogate a right to decide what people are worth something, a bit, a little bit or nothing..... *shakes head* Most of them are the ones with the biggest complexes, but are unable to accept this. So they spread their hate out to everyone, and especially to the ones that are the weakest because they are already fighting for not only their lives, but for generations over generations.

oops, i think this has gotten way out of hand a little bit... *lol* Sry for that.....
Old 29th Oct 2017, 6:43 AM #116
pikeman101
Instructor

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 489


Quote:
Originally Posted by chakwaina
And no matter which culture - each of them has their own "enemy" in race or religion or whatsoever....


To be fair, religions are a much more reasonable metric upon which to judge a stranger than race. People of a given religion tend to have a core set of values with slight deviations. The same cannot be said about race.
Old 19th Nov 2017, 4:40 PM #117
SuicidiaParasidia
Alchemist

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,955


Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman101
To be fair, religions are a much more reasonable metric upon which to judge a stranger than race. People of a given religion tend to have a core set of values with slight deviations. The same cannot be said about race.


You're joking, right? Murderous cults are a thing. So are the crusades. And jihad. And pedophile priests. And pretty much any horrible thing done "in the name of god". ESPECIALLY a stranger! Someone comes up to you and doesn't ask your name, doesn't tell you anything about themselves and just starts talking about their choice in religion, you walk the fuck away for a good reason.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"Science literacy is a vaccine against the charlatans of the world that would exploit your ignorance."~ Neil DeGrasse Tyson
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Old 19th Nov 2017, 6:38 PM #118
Kaiko Espurr Mikkusu
Scholar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,333


There have been cultures which thought (or would have thought) of blond hair, blue eyes, red hair, or green eyes as signs of evil\bad luck and stuff. That could be considered racism.
Old 21st Nov 2017, 1:36 AM #119
Shoosh Malooka
Theorist

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,141
Thanks: 2950 in 18 Posts
8 Achievements


Quote:
Can White People Experience Racism?

On the basis of being white? Yes it's very possible and it happens. It's also possible that someone can be discriminated against because of class, money, sexual preference, industrial unemployment, religion, politics, terrible attitude, or being racist themselves. And it's possible that someone receiving that discrimination can mistake it for racism against white people.
Old 25th Nov 2017, 8:10 AM #120
pikeman101
Instructor

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 489


Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicidiaParasidia
You're joking, right? Murderous cults are a thing. So are the crusades. And jihad. And pedophile priests. And pretty much any horrible thing done "in the name of god". ESPECIALLY a stranger! Someone comes up to you and doesn't ask your name, doesn't tell you anything about themselves and just starts talking about their choice in religion, you walk the fuck away for a good reason.

You seem to have completely missed the point of what I was saying. I said that you can judge a person based on their religion more accurately than you can judge a person based on their race. People of a given religion will tend to think similarly. People of a given race only have appearance in common, which is irrelevant to their personality. It's perfectly reasonable to fear someone based solely on their religion in some cases, but it's never reasonable to fear someone based solely on their race. In fact, I am both an atheist and an anti-theist (someone who believes religion actively harms society).

It seems like you wanted to start a fight and so you interpreted my statement in the least charitable manner (a massive faux pas in argumentative etiquette). I believe my statement was especially clear given the quote to which I was responding. If you simply want to start a fight, I suggest the YouTube comments section.
Old 1st Dec 2017, 2:42 AM #121
JMuth561
Test Subject

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 11


Actually, most white people post-Revolutionary War, at least in the northern half of the US, were abolitionists who opposed slavery. The reason most of the Civil Rights Movement's main events happened down south, meanwhile, was because up north and on the west coast, segregation died of natural causes. Canadian, European, and Australian people had almost no racial tension throughout most of their history. South Africa, meanwhile, a very heterogeneous country by African standards, experienced long periods of discrimination against whites.

The biggest issue is that racism against white people tends to go under the radar, due to a long list of influences and reasons that would take us all night to go over, but suffice it to say, it's equal parts social acceptance and the idea that the majority of people are so accustomed to the notion that X equals racism and Y equals acceptable behavior, that we've become blind to things like universities refusing to hire white professors, hashtags on Twitter calling for violence against whites, and for some odd reason, the BLM movement, in which angry mobs tore through several US cities, causing hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of damages...to property owned by other black people...ummm...WTF?
Reply


Section jump:


Powered by MariaDB Some icons by http://dryicons.com.