Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 12:58 AM Last edited by Florentzina : 14th Apr 2018 at 2:45 AM.
Default Premade/Mega-/Uber- Hoods - Distances between lots/locations
drafted a Sim-nation of the Uberhood, along with a couple other hoods from here (Wide-spot, Conversion of Bitville, Sedona, Quadington etc). 25 in total , with each different seasons, cultures depending on where they are located, using the real life world as a guide (warmer and tropical in south, colder and mountain in north)

Although there are mods that calculate traveling fees such as taxi and vehicles , I prefer to do this manually, so I'm trying to figured out how to interpret distance between lots or locations as the Sim-nation would rather be tiny if you crossed the street with a minute or so. I saw a few threads about geography regarding giving each sub-hood a location, but I'm trying to discuss is simulating the distant in the game, such as how you might do with their X Day = X years ages.
The only idea so far is using the lot sizes as inspiration such 1x1 equal a certain distant and then multiply it whatever simeleons to simulate taxi/car fees or when going on a trip or going to opposite side of the world to eat hamburgers! If imagining the sub-hoods are towns and cities, it doesn't make sense that you can travel to these in minutes, so after a sim has visiting them, I plan to remove the hours when they return,as I do no longer use Community Lot as it's a bit glitchy with all EP's. The only ones I find clear are University and Vacation hoods as your sims cannot go and live there in an unmodded game, so those I probably will locate farther away than they are in the map draft I made for myself.

Anybody who tried this?
Aside from deciding which place is located where. That's the only topic I saw when browsing on MTS and online. (Pardon if I didn't dig deep enough if there exist one similar to this topic ).

Note: The picture in the spoiler is only how *I* visualize them, but I just referring to the hoods from the maxi or use made ones, one from this thread , as they are easier to discuss about.

Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 12:05 PM
I've never thought too much about this, but I think I'd devise some sort of zoning plan. Many RL transportation systems work in zones, rather than a calculation of distance.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 2:52 PM
With the limitations of Sims 2 it would be best to do like 4 hoods for the main hood then make "Shopping Districts" with 4 hoods in each one.
This way you will not have houses right next to each other and have some room between each hood group.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 3:36 PM
As usual I am unlikely to be much help to you, since I handwave all time-related stuff; but a couple of things to bear in mind are the cultural differences between distances, and different modes of transportation.

By "cultural differences" I mean that in England a "long trip" might be two hours, while in Texas it's six or seven. And a short trip (say across downtown Austin) may take a long time (say two hours) if taken during peak traffic time. If you live in a small town or out in the country, it may well be worthwhile to make a big day trip to a large town 100 miles away every few weeks and shop for food, clothes, take in a movie, get your hair and nails done, etc.; while if you live in a big city and walk or take the subway everywhere you might prefer to take dozens of trips for all your needs, but don't want to take more than 15 minutes to get to any specific destination.

Which brings us to modes of transportation. So much depends on how you travel! Most people assume that cars are faster than public transportation; but during rush hour, and traveling between two traffic hubs, commuter rails are a great deal faster. I live in a town with a pretty good bus system and if I'm going downtown it's much faster and more convenient as well as cheaper to take the bus; but if I'm going out to Loopland, where stops are fewer and farther between, it's usually better to drive. And sometimes, if I'm going to a spot between my home (which is just outside of the downtown area) and downtown, I'll take the bus if I see one coming, but will walk if I don't and it's a time of day when I know buses are fewer. Because if the walk will take 20 minutes and the bus ride will take 10, but you have to wait 20 minutes for the bus, and you're in shape to walk, walking is faster than busing - assuming the distance has no major obstacles such as steep hills or six-lane highways. The buses also have bike racks for people whose routes include both bike trails and bus routes.

The point here is that distance is far from the only factor. When I played an Uberhood, I declared that the different hoods were all connected by bullet trains, with some direct connections between hoods and downtown as a hub. That being the case, my carless sims could walk everywhere because they were walking to the bullet station. In Drama Acres, whether the sims who own cars walk/take the bus or drive depends on how mobile they are (pregnant sims, the elderly, and low-active point sims are more likely to drive than walk to the bus stop) and the intervening terrain.

As for taking taxis, that's completely alien to me unless I'm in a completely strange town and don't know how to get where I'm going any other way!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)