Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 12:22 AM Last edited by -Mallow- : 7th Jan 2011 at 8:44 PM.
Starting VertexID numbers and LODs also TSRW
Since I'm writing an accessory tutorial, I came to realize in one part that I'm not really sure of one fact.

to the point: When using autonum tool to renumber vertex ID for accessory which requires morphstate, the starting number would be 40000 or higher. Now same range should not be used on next accessory or it will conflict with other custom ones if both are used and share the same vertID numbers.

So have I undertood this right: Let say I have two different chokers : A and B.
Way 1: I use 40000 for Choker A's all LODs with morphstates, and then use something like 60000 for B's all LODs with morpshstates.

OR

Way 2: I use 40000 for A's Lod 1 with morphs, then 42770 for LOD 2 with morphs and so on.

Then do the same with Choker B (which has different poly count) and use 40000 as starting vertextID etc.

I believe the first one is the right way but I better check this so I wont write false information.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 12:38 AM
Well, with a choker it doesn't matter because you can't have two chokers at once. Problems arise when a sim wears two different morphing accessories with the same vertex numbers.

The best way, I think, would be to pick arbitrary numbers based on the type of accessory - so necklaces could be 40000, earrings could be 45000, and so on.

As for sequential vs. the same for LODs... that has been answered, but again, I don't remember the answer. >.< I'mma make wiki table of all the starting numbers once I've gathered them.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 10:04 AM
The first one is the correct way in my opinion.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 2:04 PM
Alright thank you for both and the wiki table of all the starting numbers would be seriously great idea Whiterider
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 5:55 PM
Two questions about LODs.

1. I have always used same mesh for LOD0 and LOD1 when creating accessories and everything has worked fine in the game.
2. Secondly I usually do not include morph state for the LOD3 when creating morphstate accessory. (I'm using CTU and BMM)

The questions: are my methods wrong? Should I include morphstate for LOD3 as well even if it works well without, and should I use different meshes for LOD0 and 1. Is this a must?
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 7:48 PM
Lod0 is a very high detail while the lod1 is high detail. CTU is a bit outdated on this part as it only uses either lod0(for very high/high/medium and low detail) or lod1/lod2 and lod3(depends wich accesoire you pick)
If your going to use CTU try cloning a accesoire wich uses the lod1/2/ and 3 and load the high/medium/and low detail meshes in that package.
Altho I am saying CTU needs to be updated i never actually tried to load the 4 meshes(lod0/1/2/3) on those accesoires so it might work.

Neither do i know when the very high detail is used and when the high detail but you can load the same mesh for both.

Including the morphdata for the lod3 depends on wat accesoire your making i guess.
I did include them in the shoppin back i once made but you dont need them if thats wat you want to know.

I never released the bag as accesoires(especially bigger ones) lose texture quality when aplying more then one accesoire to a sim.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=411330
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 8:43 PM
Oh never seen that before, really nice looking mesh

I've certainly wondered if I should really start using TSRW since CTU really is so outdated... It even has the necklace category unlike CTU. Could you maybe tell me how does it exactly work to import all meshes of accessory and morphstates into TSRW? and I don't really need to autonum the morphstates if I use TSRW isn't that correct?
I have the plugins for TSRW and for MS and I tried TSRW once but I kind of went back to CTU since the skeleton is a big ball of bones or a little dot. when importing a file to MS from TSRW
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 9:37 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 7th Jan 2011 at 9:58 PM.
Yup, the missing skeleton is a pitty but besides that it has so much more possibility's.
When extracting the meshfiles you only have to deal with the very high/high/medium and lowdetail.
It will extract all the morphs with the basemesh in one file.
So you work with 5 meshes at the same time in MS(or 10 if you also import the bodyfiles to fit your accesoire morph on)
When done you export those 5(as one file) and reimport it back in TSRW.
IT autorenumbers the meshes and updates the bounding box
Another cool thing is that you have the morph sliders in TSRW and can dress and change the sim like in CAS.(tops/bottoms/shoes)
So you dont need to go ingame to see if all fits well.

I often use CTU in the background with it to find texturelinks(wich aren't listed in TSRW)

The glasses however have the same error as CTU(well, not CTU but Wes his GEOM plugin)
The earbones dont work and the joint for the lenses rotates 90 degrees on all 3 axisses when you reimport them(prolly on export from MS)

Unfortunate they took out the possibility to change the MTNF(material) settings and the option to add meshgroups to the package on the latest version as it had a few bugs.
But ill hope they fix that.

Another + is that you can create alpha accesoires with TSRW
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 9:59 PM
Alright I'll try out if I can manage using TSRW, thanks for the help
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 10:39 PM
You will and your welcome.