Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#1001 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 7:12 PM Last edited by cutsocks : 3rd Sep 2017 at 9:31 PM.
@Johnny_Bravo

Nope, it's fine. First of all, I've already moved the lot from a 60x60 to a 64x64, but (see picture) it's because of the green wall and the grid square it creates. As long as the grid square where you started dragging your roof stays, the roof will stay. If I got rid of that green wall, the grid square would vanish, and the roof would jump up when I moved the lot. Of course, the walls were all shortened to start with, then I added the octagonal roof, CFE off and added the cupola walls and roof, then CFE on to raise back the other walls to normal height, and then a little bit cleaning up. (And a half wall (or fence) for the outer short wall, or it would create an interior space and the lighting would be all screwed up and dark.) (The other CFE short walls are still there, cause, well, I tend to think that if there are more than one, downloaders might think they are purposeful (which they are) and not just some stray wall and just delete it/them all willy-nilly.) I use this technique quite a lot. The roof of my police station uses it a lot with many different heights. And pretty much any mansard/hipped roof with friezes. I call them anchor walls, because without them the roof will float away.

I used to think that both the start point and the end point of where you dragged the roof were necessary, but it's not. That's because I mostly used it for mansard roofs, so the end point was just the beginning point of the next roof piece. Now the back of the Second Empire/Italianate (see pictures) also uses the technique, and it might actually prove that either the start point or end point will work. (And that build is like going on four years now or something, and I can't even remember what I had for supper last night...) But I would need to test that more, as I usually can plan things out so I that always keep my start point.

The level limit always makes me plan things out and attempt to squeeze every drop of potential out of each level. :D

After editing numerous times for clarity, I realized I should just go and look how I did that roof on the Second Empire/Italianate. After dissection, I'm even more confused, because it is neither the start nor end point is next to a grid square of the appropriate height. The middle is though... (I've moved this lot so many times as well, it even came straight from the bin today... Fun Fact: I taught myself mansard roof techniques on this lot and it predates March 9, 2013!) The other side isn't a mystery since you drag half hipped roofs from left to right and the start point was retained.

Oh well, general rule of thumb that has never failed me: keep the start point.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#1002 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 3:17 PM
I knew about the mansard roof, but I wasn't sure exactly which points had to be what and ugh, but now I know

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#1003 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 9:18 PM
That FLW-type looks sweet, cutsocks.
Instructor
#1004 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 11:27 PM
@ScaryRob Thanks!

I actually worked on furnishing it bit last night, as a break from furnishing a hospital. And then as I had my build world unpaused for a brief five minutes to test an unrelated community lot, some silly Sim moved in. I didn't think they moved into lots without toilets... So I took the opportunity to take a few photos without debug lights in the way. :P

Also had to clean up a few ceiling tiles, but whilst doing so, this angle seemed particularly striking.

So, except for the kitchen and bathrooms (and basement), all rooms end in a wall of glass somehow. But with courtyard walls or the pool house and its colonnade or the fences that surround the balcony of the top floor, all those windows are somewhat shielded, in a way, to keep prying eyes from viewing in. The one exception is the stairwell. It's exposed for the opposite reason--to let those that travel the stairs have a great view out. It's always gonna be one of my favorite bits.

I've probably put more academic/design-oriented thought into this lot over anything else I've made. It has been formulating in my mind for a long time, though. Like how to maintain the horizontal emphasis while still have sections of verticality. That's all relatively easy with lines and shapes, low profile, roman bricks, columns, etc. But it really fell into place with pattern on the display cube columns that thrusts upwards, but being beaten back by the downward pointing pattern on the the edge of the roof.

Trying to get some playful Mid-Century colors going in the interiors.
Screenshots
Instructor
#1005 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 5:33 AM
I made some wallpaper! I needed something less busy, but still having the alternating quoins. Yay!

I also have to go treat the concussion I've given myself by bashing my head against the desk. Getting that fourth channel to happen was mildy extremely frustrating, considering there are very few tutorials for wall creation and the one here on MTS has no pictures anymore..
Screenshots
Alchemist
#1006 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 3:03 PM Last edited by Johnny_Bravo : 10th Sep 2017 at 11:35 AM.
Queen Anne. Rough WIP, as you might see..
Screenshots

#1007 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 1:18 AM
You guys here are so talented I really enjoy seeing all these creations.
Can't wait to see more pictures of the new house you are making Johnny_Bravo. The shape is very pretty. For some reason I can't stop thinking of an alchemy shop when looking at it.

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
dodgy builder
#1008 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 12:57 PM
Nice houses Cutsocks, both of them. I like your take on the roof above the entrance to that ... was that the hospital? The modern house is a bit difficult to see, perhaps it's just the light in that picture doing it.

... and Bravo, too me that just looks like a Victorian to me, but I guess Anne was the daughter or daughter-in-law. Nice job so far. It's looking very harmonic. Are you going to lift the ground, or just tuck it in with flowers?

Quote: Originally posted by Fergus' Mind
OMG, yes! I adore that yellow/gold wall-covering. :lovestruc
The whole place looks amazing!

Thank you, I'll probably keep it then. It's a palace for the big occations so it's probably the only chance to use them.

I have finally finished all the textures for the Wentworth project. Now I can get on with making the video and coverart, finetune the Content List etc, etc. Hopefully I have it kind of sorted for this house. I've gone back to school again and wont have time for as much as before.

Dark wood walls with perhaps more genuine Jacobean style walls, expect for the fact that they are very low.

Lighter, more modern walls with more decoration in the panels at the bottom. I like these the best I think, but I guess it depends on how genuin you would like it to be. I hope there isn't much more walls I have to do now.
Screenshots
Instructor
#1009 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 8:24 PM
Looks great, Johnny! I like the use of columns as roof ornamentation. (I would probably get rid of the shutters, as those are not really very characteristic of Queen Anne. Shutters are most appropriate for Federal, Colonial, and Greek Revival styles. Though some Victorian styles (like Italianate, 2nd Empire, Gothic Revival, Shingle) did use them occasionally, shutters on Queen Anne seem weird to me. Like a later addition to add interest long after other original detailing was removed.)

@Volvenom Here in the States, Queen Anne refers to what most people would typically think of Victorian architecture looking like. Victorian architecture can refer to a variety of architectural styles existing during the 60 plus year reign of Queen Victoria. So the probably the easiest way to describe what defines Queen Anne architecture would be by defining what Victorian style it isn't: Italianate, Gothic Revival, Second Empire, Shingle, and Richardsonian Romanesque. (It is super similar to Stick style though.) And of course, the name Queen Anne is misleading... because the people who name things are terrible.

Those walls look awesome. I especially love some of the patterns in the first set.
Alchemist
#1010 Old 11th Sep 2017 at 10:31 AM
@cutsocks
Yes, I already sensed something wrong about the shutters, but I somehow feel like it lacks a certain detail when they're gone. Grrrr I need gable ornaments!

#1011 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 4:54 AM
Volvenom- the walls are beautiful

Johnny- you can try adding interest to the exterior of your Victorian with wallpaper. Some good ones to try, stolen from Ruthless KK's blog.
Screenshots

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
dodgy builder
#1012 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 9:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
Volvenom- the walls are beautiful

Johnny- you can try adding interest to the exterior of your Victorian with wallpaper. Some good ones to try, stolen from Ruthless KK's blog.

Arn't those in ts3 already? I seem to remember that horse.

... and thank you :lovestruc
Alchemist
#1013 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 12:49 PM
@Volvenom
Yes, those are EA wallpapers.

@attuned
I've already tried all of them, I think I should try more.

For now I have a brick foundation and 1st floor, clapboard and scallops (scallopes?) for the rest.

I got rid of the shutters, and replaced windows with some CC ones because I felt there was too much going on with all the different window types. The big bland wall on the left side sadly exists because of CFE and no planning, but I'll find a way to properly integrate it.
Screenshots

#1014 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 12:55 AM
@Johnny_Bravo

I don't know Queen Anne from Queen Sheba, just going by overall looks, but the backside looks better to me, with the clapboarded first floor instead of brick. I think a darker brick foundation might also fit better.
(Also, I'm not the one clicking the dislike buttons.)
Top Secret Researcher
#1015 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 7:44 AM
There is a disagree troll going around clicking that button on every post on whatever thread catches their eye. It's probably best to ignore them.

Volvenom- yes, my post wasn't clear. The wallpaper is EA, the picture of them is from RuthlessKK's blog.

Johnny- I, too, am working on a Queen Anne. I am fond of them because there are many on the east coast of the US. Of course, if yours is War and Peace, mine is Dr. Seuss, so a bit different. Traditionally, they have lots of embellishments on the exrerior. They have at least three different colors. Scallops and festoons are common. (Which reminds me that there are festoon wallpapers also.). They tend to be lighter and brighter colors. But, I think you have a genius for combining different styles with great success and making them your own, so make it any color, style, material you want. I am looking forward to updates.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Alchemist
#1016 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 12:40 PM Last edited by Johnny_Bravo : 14th Sep 2017 at 1:34 PM.
So.. While I'm still procrastinating various houses, I've been fiddling with this.

'Proper' dormers, which I think only work with CC windows.

Edit:
Because why not have another house to just sit in the game?
Screenshots

#1017 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 6:31 PM
I must say I like that yellow stone with gray in post 1013 Bravo. It's very clean and lovely I think. Didn't they tend to use wood on "Victorian" houses?
Alchemist
#1018 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I must say I like that yellow stone with gray in post 1013 Bravo. It's very clean and lovely I think. Didn't they tend to use wood on "Victorian" houses?

I think I will change it to clapboard.
There are Victorians which use brick or stone (2nd Empire, Romanesque), but not in the way I did it, for all that I know.

#1019 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 6:35 AM
Oh, those dormers are neat, Johnny. Cleverly done, but thwarted a bit by Sims 3 awesome lighting. :/

Generally, Victorian styles seem to be either all wood (except foundation) or all stone/brick (except for roof bits where the heavy material would be impractical). Italianate, Second Empire, and Queen Anne all had versions in wood and versions in stone/brick (probably coming down to availability of materials or wealth). Romanesque was like exclusively in stone/brick. Stick style and Carpenter Gothic were exclusively wood.

There is, of course, a certain blending between styles, where you can have buildings that can not be neatly defined as just one style. And you can have older styles updated into newer ones. You also have buildings influenced by styles outside the typical Victorian canon, like Moorish, Persian or French Chateau. It was really such an eclectic period, that if done convincingly, almost anything goes.
Alchemist
#1020 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 11:09 PM Last edited by Johnny_Bravo : 17th Sep 2017 at 9:03 PM.
Yeah the lightning issues are kind of annoying, but that's what happens when you trick/cheat the game

So ehh, I'm surprised that a little experiment turned into a fully liveable house. Welp, whatever I guess. I really like how it turned out.

ETA:
Even though the house is a fairly bright, warm-coloured living, I liked the rainy atmosphere seen in the pictures.
I'd also need a name for it because I'm still terrible at naming stuff I was thinking about something including 'Small', 'Tiny' or 'Little'. Maybe 'Small/Tiny/Little Dream', I dunno. Also provided floorplans and lot overview.
Upstairs is just a lofty area because I didn't bother having to CFE the upper floor again, because even with a seperate bedroom I still had no more than 2 Sims and a cat or small dog occupying the home.

ETA2: Oh yeah, it's interior is some lavish-ish mix of everything.

#1021 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 3:57 PM
That's a super cute lot, Johnny. Great layout and I love all the different outdoor spaces.
Alchemist
#1022 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 2:46 PM
What about this cladding?

I'll change the bright bluer-blue-than-the-rest part on the small gable a bit though.
Screenshots

#1023 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 7:57 PM
Hey sorry guys. Haven't posted for a while. Mov3d and. And haven't gotten internet yet. I've been working on a few houses myself.

All great work. Love it. I'll post my works asap

C.T.HOLKO88
Alchemist
#1024 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 12:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TudorMan23
Hey sorry guys. Haven't posted for a while. Mov3d and. And haven't gotten internet yet. I've been working on a few houses myself.

All great work. Love it. I'll post my works asap

More guilded age inspired homes?

#1025 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
More guilded age inspired homes?

Oh but of course.
And a couple simple cottages.

C.T.HOLKO88

Page 41 of 98