Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 10:36 AM
Default When did you move away from home?
Just a curiosity thing - when did you move away from home and where are you from? When is it normal to move out, where you're from? What did you move into, house, apartment, rented, bought? Things like that. I've noticed that it seems like some american youtubers, I watch, don't move out until much later and then it's into a house?

I'm from Denmark and moved out at 21 into a dorm with my own room and bathroom, but shared kitchen. Pretty normal age and place to move into.
Advertisement
Space Pony
#2 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 10:43 AM
When I was 29 and married, with an extended relative who owns a multi bedroom home all alone.

Dag-Dag
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 11:09 AM
I 'ran away from home' (as my mother puts it) when I was 17. I had a bass guitar, a bag of clothes, a pile of books and an Austin 1100.

I wasn't very bright back then!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 11:31 AM
I am 21, living with my father. The summer after I graduated High School (2016), I moved into a duplex* with my friend and his girlfriend, who is now his fiance. I was working as a full-time dishwasher at a very busy and popular buffet (they were the only place in the region to have seafood on the buffet). After I collapsed on Christmas Eve due to physical strain, I was fired. We lost the house and I moved back to dad's in February 2017. I got a job as a pizza delivery driver for Dominos in the next town over. Worked for a few months there, and even became the 5th "best" driver for the Domino's chains in the United States, according to the "Statistic Leaderboards" as they were called in the store. They fired me for missing a day while in the hospital. I then moved to Little Rock with my mother in hopes of finding better opportunity in the "big city". I got another job at yet another Domino's delivering more pizza, until my car exploded. I never got fired from there, but they didn't need any "insiders", so I was out of work.
Moved back to Dad's, and here we are!

Well, I guess you didn't need the whole story, but there it is. Short version:
Tried moving out at 19, moved into a duplex* which we rented. Things fell apart, and I moved back in.

*"Duplex" is what we call a building comprised of two mirrored houses, sharing a center wall and roof. Sometimes, for better privacy, diplexes will place a shared covered car park ("carport") in the center.
It's worth noting that a "duplex" can ONLY be two houses, each of which MUST be only a single floor. Three houses is often called a "triplex" or simply "row house", as it is with more than three. Two or more floors are called "townhouses"
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 1:23 PM
School. I was around 15-16 and moved out of town to be able to have art classes as part of (my country's version of) high school. Mostly been living away since then After 3 years I moved away for school yet again, lived there for roughly 3 1/2 years, before I moved yet again to do my nursing education.

The last two years I've temporarily moved back home again due to convenience (I work in my home town, and mom lived alone, plus getting an apartment is very expensive, so currently I'm trying to save up some money for a future living space plus for paying down my student loan).
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 10:30 PM
I was in an experiment to spend 2 months at my grandparents' house at age 19. However, my medication made me seem like a monster due to lack of doctors to reach me and pharmacies to visit. (I packed 3 months of what I could bring plus my computer with The Sims 2.)

Eventually I had to come back home because I needed surgery for an ovarian cyst.

When I actually make a livable wage, I may consider finding an apartment. But I draw the line at roommates. I like my privacy.

Truth be told, I once went apartment hunting in my mid 20s and even considered an apartment above the Seattle Uwajimaya\Kinokuniya in the International District. Sadly, it was well out of my price range. But one apartment address stuck with me from one hunt: E102. I was expecting a robot to be hidden in the closet.

However, apartment hunting will be in my future if I can pass the training exercises in assembly line work.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 10:58 PM Last edited by Bigsimsfan12 : 29th Jun 2018 at 11:16 PM.
I'm from the Greater Manchester area of England, currently living in North Wales.

My Mum died the same day I started renting my first flat in my first year of University when I was 18, but I wasn't planning on moving to University until a week after, so until then I "moved out" to my Dad's house and refused to step another foot into my childhood home where my Mum died in. A week later I moved into my flat in my University town (Aberystwyth, Wales) with my boyfriend at the time. 3 years later (at 21) we graduated and moved to North Wales and started raising my younger brother. Since then, we've broken up rather messily but remain friends, and I'm now living with the love of my life, my younger brother and our dog on the outskirts of town.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Scholar
#8 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 6:52 AM
2013, hubby brought me to Australia. Just don't ask me to figure out my age.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Test Subject
#9 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 11:52 PM
i moved out of my parents house in 2005 and they paid for rent until 2006 when i found a really amazing job i still have today!!!

i luv my parents but i was getting too old to be living with themm...
Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 12:46 AM
Moved out of parents AS SOON AS I COULD! 18. Then moved out of parents house at 19. Then again at 38 or so.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 7:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Moved out of parents AS SOON AS I COULD! 18. Then moved out of parents house at 19. Then again at 38 or so.

Yeah! That told them.
A few weeks ago my mum and I were (friendly) squabbling, and I said "Can I move in with you?" and she said yes of course, any time. So I said "Good. I'M LEAVING HOME!"
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#12 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 7:49 PM
Within 4 months of graduating from high school. Not that I didn't move back, I did a time or two for a few months.

Now my mom and I are trying to figure out the best way for us to live together once more - go figure.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 2:26 PM
This is a tough question. I went to live with my grandparents from age one to four, then on to weekly boarding kindergarten till seven, and full boarding school from ten to thirteen. I lived with my parents in between those years, and then till nineteen. After high school I got a job and they moved abroad for their job. I went o join them after about 6 months, but it didn't work out very nicely, so I moved back to my country after one year. They paid the bills until I finished college and then I got a job again and I have been paying my bills since then. After that, we lived together in between their job appointments for another three-four years, and then my parents eventually retired and got themselves a house in the suburbs and I bought their apartment from them, so in a way, I haven't left home.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 8:42 PM
I haven't yet. No job so no money to move anywhere. Also, my employment history is so sporadic I've never been able to save up money.

Rob Riemensnyder is the biggest coward who ever lived. Stay away from him.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 12:09 AM
From England, moved out with my partner (now fiance) when I was 19, we had such a hard time picking universities that were close by just so we could stay together! I'm glad I've never lived alone though, probably would've died tbh :P

With love from Katsurin! ♥ ⃛ヾ(๑❛ ▿ ^๑ )
Scholar
#16 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 5:55 PM
Not yet, but one day hopefully soon cos I don't like living under the same roof as the sibling. But I gotta graduate and get money first. A friend thinks that my semester abroad counted as moving out (so just 4 days before my 21st), but I disagree cos it was only 5 months plus it was parental money that kept me alive.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 3:17 AM
Crippling depression (and the inability to keep hold of a job because of said depression) kept me home until I moved in with my boyfriend (now husband). I was 27 when I moved out. I moved from a small town nobody seems to have heard of to a bigger town that nobody really wants to hear of. I tell ya, I wouldn't have moved here if it wasn't for lurrrrve. :lovestruc

I don't think there's a 'normal' age to move out these days, especially in the UK where property prices are increasing, not to mention the many differing circumstances as to why people keep living at home.

.:: B2SIMS.com ::.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#18 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 4:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Brunnis-2
Crippling depression (and the inability to keep hold of a job because of said depression) kept me home until I moved in with my boyfriend (now husband). I was 27 when I moved out. I moved from a small town nobody seems to have heard of to a bigger town that nobody really wants to hear of. I tell ya, I wouldn't have moved here if it wasn't for lurrrrve. :lovestruc

I don't think there's a 'normal' age to move out these days, especially in the UK where property prices are increasing, not to mention the many differing circumstances as to why people keep living at home.

(Bodling added by me.) I have to agree with that. "Kids" seem to be living at home longer and longer now - mine included. Not that I really mind, I love my boys and am going to be so lost when the old nest is finally empty.. but there are times I want to shove them out the door and tell them to get on with it!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#19 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 11:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
I love my boys and am going to be so lost when the old nest is finally empty..

I know that feeling! :lovestruc
Test Subject
#20 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 12:58 PM
I moved out when I was 22 (2 years ago) into a small rented apartment and I'm from Denmark too! 😁 I think most people I know move out from home here when they are 18-23 and would probably not be able to afford to live in a house..
Field Researcher
#21 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 1:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
there are times I want to shove them out the door and tell them to get on with it!

Haha, I'm sure my folks wanted to do the same with me, even before I was legally old enough to go.

.:: B2SIMS.com ::.
Instructor
#22 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 9:02 PM
i moved out 2 weeks after my grandfather died of old age and seizures when i was 19 2 years ago

i come from the netherlands in the hague, but i live in monster for 2 years now!

i live with a few roommates of mine, and there are always a quidance in there, day and night (i learn how to cook, to clean up my room etc)
my parents thought it's time to move out for me

but i was a shy and a sad person because my grandfather died 2 weeks before i moved out (he was already 86 so he got his rest in heaven)

and ever since then i became into a mature person then i was before