Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2015 at 4:40 AM
Default Saved games are gone
I opened my game tonight and noticed that the floppy disk at the top was missing. My saved games are gone. The last time I played was Tuesday; I made some sims in CAS and saved them to my gallery. Tonight, before I opened my game, I download some custom content from here and a couple blogs on Tumblr. The game hasn't updated as far as I know. I've tried rolling back my saves but it's not working. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to fix it or can at least explain why this happened?
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st May 2015 at 5:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
go to your user folder and check the save folder manually to see if your saves are indeed gone.

The save files are there (Slot_00000001.save etc.). I've tried rolling back my saves.
Smeg Head
#5 Old 1st May 2015 at 1:58 PM
I've seen this too. Did the game say that your current saves are too advanced for your game version? A message also telling you to update your game? All your old saves are inaccessible, and it even looks like they might have been removed/deleted?

Don't panic. After March patch, you may have removed an outdated mod or CC that your most recent save was expecting to be there. This is why Origin is telling you to update your game and it may also seem to have deleted all your old saves. (Ahhh! The Horror!)

Simply start a brand new game. The game will take you directly into Cas to build your first ever sim, so as to take into a brand new neighbourhood. Once the game takes you and your new sim to the new neighbourhood, select options and return to Main Menu. There you will see all your old save files available to load once again - and thus help end your panic attack. (It scared the crap out of me the first time, thinking I'd lost all those months of saves.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd May 2015 at 1:26 AM
"I opened my game tonight and noticed that the floppy disk at the top was missing. "

"I download some custom content from here and a couple blogs on Tumblr. "

Perhaps some CC you've downloaded ruined the UI? Remove your mods and run the game.

That was my first thought. I took my mods out but nothing changed.

Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
I've seen this too. Did the game say that your current saves are too advanced for your game version? A message also telling you to update your game? All your old saves are inaccessible, and it even looks like they might have been removed/deleted?

Don't panic. After March patch, you may have removed an outdated mod or CC that your most recent save was expecting to be there. This is why Origin is telling you to update your game and it may also seem to have deleted all your old saves. (Ahhh! The Horror!)

Simply start a brand new game. The game will take you directly into Cas to build your first ever sim, so as to take into a brand new neighbourhood. Once the game takes you and your new sim to the new neighbourhood, select options and return to Main Menu. There you will see all your old save files available to load once again - and thus help end your panic attack. (It scared the crap out of me the first time, thinking I'd lost all those months of saves.)

Thank you, but unfortunately, I didn't get those messages. I tried your suggestion anyway, but it didn't work. When I launched the game last night it was like I had never played before. I even got the notification telling me that I had the Life of the Party content.
Smeg Head
#8 Old 2nd May 2015 at 2:14 AM
That sounds like a new or reinstallation of Origin. Have you deleted any Origin cache files recently? Origin would hold the history of your Sims 4 downloads, Life of The Party content and such.

Have you looked inside you Sims 4 save folder? How empty is it? It's true that the "scratch" folder can appear severely reduced. It normally holds many, many files from months of play and saves, and can be a shock to find it almost empty after this hiccup. So much so you may think all your old saves are truly lost. But right click on the saves file itself and check properties. If all that months and months of work is still in there, then the file will be quite sizeable. Half a gig at least, probably more. If the saves are truly wiped, then that file will only register in the lower MB sizes. If it is on the large size, make a copy of the save file and keep it safe, because the old stuff is still in there and perhaps still very recoverable once Origin pulls its sock up. If you look around the forums, you'll see Origin is playing up again very recently, so it will certainly need a fix in the near future.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd May 2015 at 2:40 AM
Thank you both for the quick replies!

Ok, move your WHOLE user folder to your desktop or something.

Run the game and it will create a NEW user folder. Move your save file directory into your new user folder.

I doesn't seem like I can... when I try to move it, nothing moves. I could be trying to move the wrong thing though; I'm not that great with computers, honestly.

That sounds like a new or reinstallation of Origin. Have you deleted any Origin cache files recently? Origin would hold the history of your Sims 4 downloads, Life of The Party content and such.

Have you looked inside you Sims 4 save folder? How empty is it? It's true that the "scratch" folder can appear severely reduced. It normally holds many, many files from months of play and saves, and can be a shock to find it almost empty after this hiccup. So much so you may think all your old saves are truly lost. But right click on the saves file itself and check properties. If all that months and months of work is still in there, then the file will be quite sizeable. Half a gig at least, probably more. If the saves are truly wiped, then that file will only register in the lower MB sizes. If it is on the large size, make a copy of the save file and keep it safe, because the old stuff is still in there and perhaps still very recoverable once Origin pulls its sock up. If you look around the forums, you'll see Origin is playing up again very recently, so it will certainly need a fix in the near future.

I haven't deleted any cache files lately. The only thing I've done since I last played on Tuesday is download custom content. The saves file size is 30 MB. Prior to last weekend, I hadn't played in months. Still seems low, though.
Smeg Head
#10 Old 2nd May 2015 at 2:48 AM Last edited by coolspear1 : 2nd May 2015 at 3:00 AM.
Are you running the game on an SSD drive? Meaning if you try to drag the user folder out to your desktop, it just makes a duplicate and leaves the original in place?

Edit: Also, I think Origin makes a cloud save of your games, so even if the saves folder is light, Origin may still have the full saves on cloud. I might be wrong about that though.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd May 2015 at 3:06 AM
Are you running the game on an SSD drive? Meaning if you try to drag the user folder out to your desktop, it just makes a duplicate and leaves the original in place?

Edit: Also, I think Origin makes a cloud save of your games, so even if the saves folder is light, Origin may still have the full saves on cloud. I might be wrong about that though.

It's not appearing on my desktop at all. I get the message "the destination folder is a subfolder of the source folder" with the option to skip or cancel. It doesn't move either way.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd May 2015 at 5:51 AM
Win 8? Ahh... I only have Win 7.

You can try renaming the folder to "The Sims 4 (Orig)"

This is the folder in your document dir.

Oh, you meant the Sims 4 folder? I was trying to move the wrong thing. I'll try it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd May 2015 at 6:36 AM
Yah the whole "The Sims 4" folder (one from your documents dir). When you run TS4, it will create a new folder. Then simply copy your "Save" folder from your original to the new one.

I took the TS4 folder out and launched the game, exited, and I have a new Electronic Arts folder that contains a new TS4 folder. I'm assuming it makes no difference, though. I copied my saves folder so I'm going to try it again.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd May 2015 at 6:50 AM
It worked! Thank you so much!!

My library is empty now, however. Is this normal? Is there any way to get the sims back that were in my library?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd May 2015 at 7:11 AM
You might... but it takes a lot of trial and error? Basically you need to find your library files in the original user folder and then replace it in the new one.

But... I recommend making a backup copy of your current working user folder, so you have something to fall back on if you end up breaking the folder again.

Where would I find the library files? In the tray folder?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 2nd May 2015 at 7:31 AM
My sims are back! Thank you so much for your help! Can I delete my old Sims 4 folder?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 2nd May 2015 at 7:36 AM
yes, after you are sure you got everything you want from it.

Ok. Thank you again!