Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 9:07 AM
Default Sims Getting Stuck On LN Suspension Bridge
As sims are walking across the suspension bridge, if for any reason they stop, they get stuck and have to be reset. Simsample has told me that it is because of the broken blue routing line below the bridge shown in the images below

Yet, no matter what I do to the terrain, I cannot get the blue line to go continuously above the bridge, how on earth do I accomplish this?
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 11:52 AM
Okay, I took some pictures to try to explain what I meant. The trouble with this is that it's not really a simple thing to say 'do this and do that', because of course the terrain from world to world varies so vastly that what works in one world might not work in another.

This works for the Bridgeport suspension bridge- note that the routing paint is NOT painted under the bridge, or else it will break the route spline:

This does not work though- the ruins object is breaking the route (notice the red outline, that is non-routable):

So the first thing I would try in your world is to remove the objects beneath the bridge, to see if that works.

In the EA France world, they made the terrain underneath the bridge fall away sharply, so that the route spline is not clipped by the land:

With the bridge hidden:

So perhaps, if your bridge still doesn't work even when you removed the objects, try resculpting the land beneath the bridge, to change the path of the route spline. This is pretty much trial and error, although the best path would be a straight route:

See with the routes visible but the bridges hidden, all of the splines are straight:

That way, I could have non-routing paint under the bridges and still have them work. However, there was one I couldn't get to be straight:

(It's the Twinbrook bridge).
However, it works just fine as long as I don't have non-routing paint beneath the bridge.

So, take a look at the non-routing paint too. Generally, if the routing spline breaks the terrain, you can't have non-routing paint there. And in some cases, if the route spline goes far enough beneath the terrain, you may have to resculpt the terrain so that the spline is not clipped so much.

The Bridgeport bridge is especially tricky because it's so long!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 9:23 PM
I'll check to see if that ruins thing is the culprit. I'd tried both making steep drop-offs on either end as well as sculpting so that the line didn't cut through so much terrain, and still nothing. It used to work fine prior to patch 1.26 but I don't honestly remember if those ruins were recently added or not.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 9:46 PM
Pets and the 1.26 patch definitely changed something about how the bridges are routed; I assume it was to do with the way the pets routed.

I had lots of glitches involving bridges in the world I was building, EA keep breaking things in patches and I had to keep fixing things that worked before!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 10:06 PM
Just tried removing the ruins and scaffolding as well as a few other things in the area (did rebuild routing data) and it didn't resolve it.

I've also tried just leveling the terrain from the entrance of the bridge to about the middle, to make it as straight as possible and have made the other side as level as possible and still nothing, I really don't know what else to try.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 10:11 PM
Can you post some screenshots of how the routing looks now? You can hide the bridge if you like, so that we can see the splines more clearly.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 10:32 PM
Here we are

And some wireframe views so you can see the spline underwater

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 11:07 PM
In that first image, where the blue spline dips down into the water, that could be significant. Also, if you look at the red outline, that gives an indication of where the pedestrian route will be, and you can see in the first image how that dips quite sharply, so that could be relevant too.

Also, again in the first image, you can see that there are roads and (lots or objects, I can't tell) actually beneath the bridge. That is really bad news, as Sims 3 can only handle routing in two dimensions- so if you have a road running beneath a bridge, you will always have a conflict. The sims will leave the bridge, travel a short while on the road and then snap back to the bridge again, and vice versa, as discussed here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3367228

That in itself shouldn't cause sims to route fail, but it will definitely cause sims to leave the bridge.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 11:16 PM
The roads do not go underneath the bridge (they used to, but were altered because of the issue you alluded to)) they run adjacent to it. I will level the terrain where the dip occurs. I have it leveled in a different version but the ruins are in that version. Is there nothing else you see though that could be at issue?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 11:24 PM
The road does go under the bridge [first picture again]- see the red box, that's the outline of the bridge object. So the splines of the road interfere with the pedestrian route of the bridge at least, and in fact you can see that the road routing is connecting to the bridge road route.

As I mentioned before, there can only be one layer of routing, so if there is routing beneath the bridge (as there clearly is in the first picture), then there can be no routing on the bridge.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 12:24 AM
Okay, so the roads are the problem?

Can I put a thin line of non-routing paint next to this road or should I just move it back (the road)?

Oh and these were the other objects under the bridge. They didn't intersect the spline, should I remove them anyways?

BTW, I tried with the leveled terrain where that dip was and it's still broken
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 12:47 AM
You might get away with painting that road non-routable, but I would guess you would need to remove any objects in the bridge footprint. Picture 2 in post #7 shows a building under the bridge (not sure whether that's a custom object or a lot)- so you might end up having to rework quite a bit. I would just remove things one by one and test- you can always 'save as' and restore a backup if something doesn't work.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 2:25 AM
Removed everything from under the bridge and cleared up the deviating route paths and it's still giving route failures!

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 8:40 PM
The could be because the routing paint you've just put there is too close to the bridge. If you look at this picture:
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/...idgerouting.png
You see that the red outline of the bridge is the far side of the road, so perhaps that road and the routing paint will have to be removed altogether. In that picture you can also see that most of the routing ends at the red bridge outline (as the bridge is seen as an obstruction, so a route is not calculated in its footprint), but because there is a road present some splines have been drawn to the main bridge route. This is possibly confusing the route map, so that sims are trying to access routes at ground level from the bridge, or perhaps the pedestrian route is broken so that it is contained partly on the bridge and partly on ground level. I would recommend to try removing that road and the routing paint and see if it helps.

Also on this image:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/...underbridge.png
You can see that there are route splines leading from the lot to the bridge; that will confuse the path of a pedestrian on the bridge, and they may try to leave the bridge to snap to those splines. It may be that you have to completely redesign the area around that bridge- I know what Manu was trying to achieve by having buildings and objects clustered around the bridge, but I fear that perhaps it may not be possible to do that and have the bridge work as intended.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 10:08 PM
I know how you mean. In all honesty, I'm trying to avoid this unless I absolutely have to (partly because I like the look, I even want to do it on the other side. And partly because I just don't want to have to do it). The most confusing thing to me is that they can walk across the bridge fine so long as they don't stop.

My new hope against hope is that their trek across the bridge will stop being interrupted now that I've eliminated the route delineations that you've pointed out (as there will be no reason for them not to complete the journey across). The issue would remain, but it would sort of be moot. I'll find out in the coming days if I can get away with it.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 2:22 PM
Good luck, I hope it works out alright!

Sometimes in CAW we have to make a compromise between functionality and aesthetics.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 8th May 2012 at 2:16 PM
Is it just the pedestrian traffic that has a problem, or do cars routefail too?

The only thing I can suggest to try is to resculpt the terrain a little so that the red bounding box of the bridges are visible. See how the red line is broken in the middle, it's possible that the pedestrian route is also broken. The trouble with bridges is that the pedestrian routes aren't visible, you just see the centre spline. So it's tricky to see if the entire road surface is routable or not.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#18 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 12:01 PM
Who knows with this game? One thing is for sure though, the bridges are definitely screwy since pets. I'm glad you got it working, well done!
Test Subject
#19 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 6:42 PM
Ä° couldnt understand you how to solve that problem.i have same issue please help if you're still alive
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 7:09 PM
I died many years ago buy haven't fallen over yet.

Could you show us some pictures of your problem? @tolga_oz
Mad Poster
#21 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 7:45 PM
I have the same problem with cars. Sims are reset all the time, sometimes while driving, and their cars become stuck on the bridge. I can't Shift+Click them, I can't have Overwatch get rid of them.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#22 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 5:37 AM
In a world I made I had sims getting stuck and animals all the friggin time on a bridge near my Sim family house. I checked routing and it was fine as far as I could see. I replaced that bridge with another and all was fine. So I guess the town folks just did not like the first one for some reason. LOL
Test Subject
#23 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 8:35 PM
Ä° was so desperated that you would answer me.please look at my city i spent my 3 month to build this.but my world is trash because of this stuck problem.please help i have uploaded my city to mediafire.download it and examine it in caw.i will be appreciated and if you wish.you can publish it in modthesims. https://www.mediafire.com/file/6gax...wnload.rar/file but this city will not show up in your caw beacuse of you miss some cc's.i dont know english very well.i hope you can help me
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 10:28 PM
Hi @tolga_oz

I can't install the world, as I don't have the same EPs and CC as you do. But if you post an image of the routing around your problematic bridge (as others in this thread have done) then we can give you suggestions on how to solve the problem.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 10:54 PM Last edited by daisylee : 10th Jun 2018 at 11:44 PM.
I have all but KP so just got it and can see if I can see anything or not?

I am back. I can see you have tons of work in this. My worry though is that it so huge it will be unplayable for most people. I have an i7 and wonder if I could even play this well when done.

As far as the bridges, there are no routing lines under them, BUT I just looked for curiosity at 2 worlds I am working on that have been tested enough that I Know I have no stuck sims on my bridges, and they do not have those lines either. (????) Something may be particular to the LN suspension bridge and the long span and water depth? Is your other bridge working? The routing at the one end does look odd for the suspension one. I did use this bridge way back when in a world I did and did not have issues with it.

Simsample and others can advise more than I can about this. And as noted on the prior page objects/roads below bridges can cause problems.

Page 1 of 2