Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 11:49 PM Last edited by 80trips : 19th Feb 2005 at 11:51 PM. Reason: added another pic
help needed - colors, different object parts and a confused person
Hiya there

First I wanna thank the team from MTS & SimPE for providing such a great tool. Your work is really appreciated, thanks.

Well, this morning I started making objects. And now I'm stumbling over problems I never thought they'd appear.

Okay, I have some questions...

I cloned an one-part-diningtable and imported an object that consists out of 2 parts - the topdesk and legs ... no problem in the cgeometydatacontainer the 2 parts + the shadows appear.
If I switch to the "shape" tab, and look under parts, only 1 part appears and it's named like the table I cloned it from.
No problem to rename it... I figured out how to "add" another part either.
Now my problem - while the shadows appear how they're supposed to,
only the table legs are skinned. (pic attached)
I havn't changed the texture name though.
I wonder how I get this thing to work properly... advice anyone?

secondly, if I get the parts to work, will they appear as 2 different parts in the sims catalouge? Can i add different color types to mix it with others?

Thanks for helping me,
-J
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 5:42 AM
J-

I am having trouble determining from the screenshot whether the table top is invisible or gray color.
If it's invisible, then there is a naming issue with the model name in the gmdc. Since the legs are clearly visible, there is no problem with the naming path for the gmdc section, which is the #1 prescription Dr. Bones here hands out.
So, if the shape of the top is clear in your images at home, which I would guess from the lack of the word 'invisible' in your problem description, then it's just a UV mapping issue.
If you created the top from scratch, then it probably lacks UV coordinates (well, likely all set to zero, meaning the whole thing gets painted with one pixel from the corner of the texture image.
Don't know how to UV map? Several solutions are available, most 3D editors have some UV mapping capability, there are also stand-alone mapping tools in a variety of prices (from free up to big $$$) with varying levels of sophistication.
Hit Search up top right below the google ads and look for "uv map". We have some nice posts and tutorials on this done by some talented people that should help you out.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 10:12 AM
Hi wes_h,

thanks for answering.

The top is plain black so you must be right - the uv map is wrong , or better, I havn't done one yet.
The texture the table is using is the one from the original table - as I saw in the preview there are many dark parts so I'd guess the top takes one pixel of it.