Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 12:47 PM Last edited by Echo : 11th Sep 2008 at 12:36 PM.
Default How to find an object's GMDC and extract the mesh using Object Workshop
How to find an object's GMDC and extract the mesh using Object Workshop.
Updated August 28, 2005. Pictures are not updated and may be confusing.. If they exist.

You will need: SimPE 0.44

1) Open up SimPE, go to the "Tools" menu, then the "Object Creation" menu and choose "Object Workshop"

[img]/attachment.php?attachmentid=11862&stc=1[/img]

2) Select the name of the object you want to edit from the list.

[img]/attachment.php?attachmentid=11861&stc=1[/img]

3) Make sure the "Clone" button is selected and leave the checkboxes as whatever they are because it doesn't really matter for what we are trying to do. Unless you really want to change them because you are Professor of Smarty Pants.

[img]/attachment.php?attachmentid=11860&stc=1[/img]

3.456zzpv) Click on "Start". And when the next box appears looking all scary and stuff like it wants you to do stuff, just click "OK" and the scary box goes away.

4) Now that the SimPE wizard has cloned your selected object with the pointy hat and the waving the magic wand and the sparkly magic dust everywhere, SAVE it somewhere.

[img]/attachment.php?attachmentid=11863&stc=1[/img]

5) Next browse down the "Filetypes" list to "Geometric Data Container" and select the GMDC file in the "Packed Files" list

[img]/attachment.php?attachmentid=11858&stc=1[/img]

6) Click on the "3D Mesh" tab in the Plugin view and click EXPORT. Choose where you want to save the file, the mesh.

[img]/attachment.php?attachmentid=11859&stc=1[/img]

That concludes this particular tutorial. Time to go and edit the mesh Sir.

----------
Tutorials:How_to_find_an_object's_GMDC_and_extract_the_mesh_using_Object_Workshopwiki
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 1:20 PM
Nice work. I wish I had the time to write one that shows how to use MilkShape to edit the mesh and put it back in the game using my plugin.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 1:26 PM
I am waiting for my plugin i have applied
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#4 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 1:36 PM
Snazza,
Did you do the drawings? Marvelous :D

RG
Alchemist
#5 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RGiles
Snazza,
Did you do the drawings? Marvelous :D

RG

Aww, come on. He's tryin' to help here!
I, for one, wish I had the artisitic talent you do. Snazza does way better than MY stick men, even when I'm using a triangle and straight-edge to draw them with.
<* Wes *>

#6 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 2:59 PM
What, wes? I think the drawing is cute Seriously, I mean it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 3:27 PM
LOL! I don't know quite what to say :-)
Alchemist
#8 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 3:32 PM
O.K. - I thought so too, probably just stepped in too quick.
I think things that some people like snazza are trying to do are important to support the developers. Just because I'm skilled at making tools doesn't automatically mean I can use them as well as people with TALENT.
<* Wes *>

#9 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 3:41 PM
Agreed completely, Wes.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 3:47 PM
Who wouldn't want to support a great bloke like you Wes
Alchemist
#11 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by snazza
Who wouldn't want to support a great bloke like you Wes

Oh, hush! I might get to believing all that rubbish & be harder to like.
I hope "bloke" carries good connotations. It's not commonly use here in the US.
<* Wes *>

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 6:44 PM
do you know which .package contain the hair mesh? I couldn't find it anywhere, thanks in advance
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 6:47 PM
I have followed the steps until the step 4 with success.

Step 5, find geometry datas container..... argh... this filetype does not exists...

any suggestion ?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 7:02 PM
Bloke does carry some good connotations IMO. Depends what sort of connotations you're after though. :p

MimeWhite: "\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Sims3D\Sims03.package" contains all the hair meshes.

dyonis-my: What object did you clone?
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 8:32 PM
there is no problem now, i don't know what happened, or what i did bad, but it works now, i find the necessary filetype for export the obj. Now, this is probably more SimPE experience than modeling and using the great tools, especialy MTS2, i have cloned an object, modified in a 3D editor, e imported in simpe, saved as package, all ok. i put it in the downloads folder of my sims, i launch the game, and search to use this new object, no problem, it works, what does not work is that this new object replaces the old one, this i did not want, i suppose this is something to do in SimPE with what is called "instances", but if i have good experience in 3D modelling, in simpe.... gasp ! I have to learn. The goal for me, this new chair must not replace the old one, but be added, simply in the sims inventory.
Alchemist
#16 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MimeWhite
do you know which .package contain the hair mesh? I couldn't find it anywhere, thanks in advance

They should be in catalog\skins\skins.package
<* Wes *>

Alchemist
#17 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dyonis-my
what does not work is that this new object replaces the old one, this i did not want

You need to put a unique GUID in the new object.
<* Wes *>

Test Subject
#18 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 10:24 PM
Hey guys, thanks to everyone for the hard work in bringing this about. Question, I have the latest version of Simpe, but I am not getting the "Export to OBJ" button in plugin view. The plugin is installed and I have the GMDC data entry, but no button to export. Bummer, I have 3DSMax loaded up wanting to check this out, any suggestions?

Thanks
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#19 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 11:22 PM
Make sure my GMDC exporter is above the Generic RCOL wrapper in the Plugin manager list.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wes_h
You need to put a unique GUID in the new object.
<* Wes *>

ok, i understand, now, how to denine an unique GUID, if i wish to upload this new object, and i let others people download it ? just with the hazard ?
Test Subject
#21 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 12:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Make sure my GMDC exporter is above the Generic RCOL wrapper in the Plugin manager list.

Thank you for the reply Delphy, that did the trick!

Michael
Alchemist
#22 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 4:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dyonis-my
ok, i understand, now, how to denine an unique GUID, if i wish to upload this new object, and i let others people download it ? just with the hazard ?

You can get GUIDs of your own at the same site where SimPE is downloaded from: http://sims.ambertation.de/
If you clone and object from the game and leave the GUID the same, the new object will replace the old one. Always. That's how it works. By putting a diffferent GUID in teh object, the game knows it is supposed to be a different object, not an update, so both objects show up.
Pop on over to Quaxi's site and sign up for a block. They're free, and it is the ONLY way to ensure a clone won't interfere with someone elses (or your own) game by making something disappear.
What I just said doesn't necessarily apply to recolors that add new color options, though. But to make a clone with it's own unique mesh, you'll need to do this.
<* Wes *>

Test Subject
#23 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 2:15 PM
Default Help
How do I fix this? Can someone help me?
Screenshots
Alchemist
#24 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 2:31 PM
Open SimPE, go to the Plugins menu, select Installed Plugins...
On the subsequent box find "GMDC Wrapper". If it isn't anywhere on the list, then you didn't get the file installed in the plugins directory correctly.
If it is there, then select it and use the up/down buttons to position it immediately above the "Generic Rcol" plugin (leave all the checkmarks checked).
That should do it.
<* Wes *>

Test Subject
#25 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 2:41 PM
Thanks so much Wes_h for your help. I remembered doing this when I had the old version of Simpe, but when I updated my version I had to go back and set things like they were and then I couldn't remember just what I was to move and where. Thanks again so much.
Page 1 of 4