Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 2:58 AM
Default Any srat/frat people out here?
'Cause I'm honestly curious.
Is/was anybody else a Greek life affiliate? Sororities, fraternities, actual Greek people, etc. I'm a college student and I'm interested in knowing if anybody else was in Greek life on their college campus. Or, if you weren't Greek, did you have any fond memories of watching the Greek organizations from afar? Why did/didn't you join Greek life? I wanna know!
Advertisement
Space Pony
#2 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 6:22 AM Last edited by RicoSuavecito : 1st Jun 2018 at 6:25 AM. Reason: Addition
Quote: Originally posted by Gremily_
'Cause I'm honestly curious.
Is/was anybody else a Greek life affiliate? Sororities, fraternities, actual Greek people, etc. I'm a college student and I'm interested in knowing if anybody else was in Greek life on their college campus. Or, if you weren't Greek, did you have any fond memories of watching the Greek organizations from afar? Why did/didn't you join Greek life? I wanna know!

Yup. I was president of my frat. I had so much fun with my Lambdas. Yes you will be hazed, but depending on the chapter is the severity and how often it happens. Keep in mind there are dues and fees plus your big and little gifts. But boy it opened me to many honor societies and special clubs. Just remember to keep your mind open, and your grades up. Also, there is office work and meetings, you will have company like tasks. It's nothing like Hollywood portrays nor those horror stories on the news. Also, don't plan on studying and doing your work non-stop, you will need to participate in the activities. Homework is not an excuse nor is studying so keep up your work when you can! Best of luck and may you get a bid as well as initiated! Just have fun and don't rush it! Savor it!

Additional Note: I joined because A. the letters, B. I knew some of the guys, C. I wanted the brotherhood, D. The activities were fun! E. My major, F. I wasn't some boring wallflower nerd, I needed something with the school!

Dag-Dag
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 4:32 PM
Oh no worries, I'm already in a sorority I'm a Phi Mu at a small liberal arts school, and going Greek (in my opinion) is one of the few fun things to do. Don't get me wrong, I love my school most of the time, but I don't really know how non-Greeks survive. We're in the middle of squat-nowhere surrounded by Amish communities, so unless cow tipping and Sheetz gas station runs at 2 AM sound like a great time, better make some friends fast. We don't have any Lambda-anythings sadly. Heck, we only have four frats on campus...one of which was on probation for a year for hazing and has gone completely dry (as per their nationals) and the other is struggling with numbers anymore. We have five NPC sororities though, although one was hours away from getting their charter revoked this past March.

Did you enjoy being prez? I know srats and frats are two different worlds, but I've been contemplating running for prez next year. I'm the Membership Director currently and I absolutely love it. Numerous sisters have come up to me asking if I'm gonna be prez, I'd make a good prez, etc...but I don't know if I want to do it because I want it, or because everyone else wants it.
Space Pony
#4 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 7:28 AM
Oh, the Lambda Sigma Pi's died years ago I graduated a long time back, it was a small secret frat. It can very from chapter to chapter the duties, it really depends on the workload of the VP, but ultimately any blame falls on you. I loved being president and the power that came with it, but there was a salty little brat spreading rumors about us and about me. I come from LA tho so it's just the rude culture I guess we have here in Cali. If you have a small town and everyone is good and everyone in the executive board does their job you should be fine. Just be ready for small glitches you may end up fixing on your own. Just review your responsibilities in your by-laws and any liabilities in your Greek student center. Just a tidbit of info, you have to remember it's like being a teacher or parent; you will need to enforce rules and not try to just let everything slide, and that some people can't separate business from personal but hey listen to your gut. This summer think about what you want to say in your speech.

Dag-Dag
Scholar
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 8:53 PM
well seeing as britain probably doesn't have any and i'm put of going to university because of how much debt it gets you in i'll say no i never will.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#6 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 11:02 PM
I've always wanted to be in a Greek house. We don't have them in the UK, but I grew up watching Greek, Undergrads, etc and playing the Frats/Sororities in Sims 2 University. I was so disappointed when I got older and realised that was an American thing, and I'd never experience it (I had crippling anxiety throughout uni so doing a semester abroad wasn't really an option for me at the time). While visiting Tennessee I made my friend drive past the Greek houses just so I could gawk in amazement. It's funny, he actually said if I had grown up in America, I probably would've hated greek life because sororities are apparently filled with slutty girly girls and frats are alcoholic dumb jock guys (which is why he never took part in Greek life) and quite frankly, I'm a very introverted geeky horribly-not-girly-don't-even-brush-my-hair-most-days kind of girl, but something about it really strikes a chord with me and I really wish it was something I could've done. Maybe in another life...

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Space Pony
#7 Old 3rd Jun 2018 at 9:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
I've always wanted to be in a Greek house. We don't have them in the UK, but I grew up watching Greek, Undergrads, etc and playing the Frats/Sororities in Sims 2 University. I was so disappointed when I got older and realised that was an American thing, and I'd never experience it (I had crippling anxiety throughout uni so doing a semester abroad wasn't really an option for me at the time). While visiting Tennessee I made my friend drive past the Greek houses just so I could gawk in amazement. It's funny, he actually said if I had grown up in America, I probably would've hated greek life because sororities are apparently filled with slutty girly girls and frats are alcoholic dumb jock guys (which is why he never took part in Greek life) and quite frankly, I'm a very introverted geeky horribly-not-girly-don't-even-brush-my-hair-most-days kind of girl, but something about it really strikes a chord with me and I really wish it was something I could've done. Maybe in another life...

Oh, no that isn't what Greek Life is about at all! Movies and TV have a horrible portrayal of real actual Greek life. I won't lie most Greeks are stuck up and wealthy, but there is a Greek for everyone, any clique, any minority, any major, any anything. What I CAN tell you is that it isn't free, or even cheap. There is also a lot of work involved both before and after initiation, IF you get initiated. You can always pledge any American school at any time as long as you are taking enough units and keep a 2.8 GPA I think.

Dag-Dag
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2018 at 9:27 PM
Oh trust me, I NEVER would've pegged myself as a sorority girl either--but like Rico said, there's an organization for everyone! My sorority's motto is "you go where you're supposed to go," meaning that fate takes you to whatever organization is truly your home.
I think it largely depends on the school your at, but also which part of the states you're in. Like I mentioned, I'm at a smaller school in the northern United States. My school's Greek community is far from what the movies and books paint it to be (and despite how hard some orgs try to act). Heck, my school doesn't even have sorority houses, we all just get a section of one dorm. Thankfully, Phi Mu's housing is on the first floor. In the south, however, sororities go hard--and I mean HARD. It's an expectation that you'll pledge somewhere, if not your legacy, when you go to school. My sorority is southern-based, so chapters do exist of up to five-hundred girls. At our officer training this past February, I met a member of some humongous chapter in Georgia and asked her if she even knew all of her sisters. She said no, as expected, and I don't even think I know five-hundred people at my small school!

Sometimes I wish I attended a larger school that had a larger Greek population, but I like where I'm at overall. People hark on Greek life all the time, but it's brought me leadership opportunities, learning moments, and I've developed better people skills. I would say it's brought me friends, but I'd say it's brought me a group of girls I know I can always wave hello to or sit with during lunch...not necessarily BFFs like they paint it to be during recruitment (hehe, my job) or in pop culture. I'm not very happy with the state of things right now, though, so maybe that'll all change! I would say it's all worth it, though. You get out what you put into it.

Money-wise...it's really not that bad. It's /managable./ National dues are national dues, but the majority of your bill is decided as a chapter. That's how it is for Phi Mu, at least. We just lowered dues starting in the Fall, and we pay less than $100/month. When you're a new member, it's more expensive--one time fees, you buy your pin (badge), photos from your pick-up day--but it's definitely not a problem if you don't make it one.
Space Pony
#9 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 12:49 AM
Oh trust me, I NEVER would've pegged myself as a sorority girl either--but like Rico said, there's an organization for everyone! My sorority's motto is "you go where you're supposed to go," meaning that fate takes you to whatever organization is truly your home.
I think it largely depends on the school your at, but also which part of the states you're in. Like I mentioned, I'm at a smaller school in the northern United States. My school's Greek community is far from what the movies and books paint it to be (and despite how hard some orgs try to act). Heck, my school doesn't even have sorority houses, we all just get a section of one dorm. Thankfully, Phi Mu's housing is on the first floor. In the south, however, sororities go hard--and I mean HARD. It's an expectation that you'll pledge somewhere, if not your legacy, when you go to school. My sorority is southern-based, so chapters do exist of up to five-hundred girls. At our officer training this past February, I met a member of some humongous chapter in Georgia and asked her if she even knew all of her sisters. She said no, as expected, and I don't even think I know five-hundred people at my small school!

Sometimes I wish I attended a larger school that had a larger Greek population, but I like where I'm at overall. People hark on Greek life all the time, but it's brought me leadership opportunities, learning moments, and I've developed better people skills. I would say it's brought me friends, but I'd say it's brought me a group of girls I know I can always wave hello to or sit with during lunch...not necessarily BFFs like they paint it to be during recruitment (hehe, my job) or in pop culture. I'm not very happy with the state of things right now, though, so maybe that'll all change! I would say it's all worth it, though. You get out what you put into it.

Money-wise...it's really not that bad. It's /managable./ National dues are national dues, but the majority of your bill is decided as a chapter. That's how it is for Phi Mu, at least. We just lowered dues starting in the Fall, and we pay less than $100/month. When you're a new member, it's more expensive--one time fees, you buy your pin (badge), photos from your pick-up day--but it's definitely not a problem if you don't make it one.

OMG Phi Mu was only $100 there? In my school it was $650-$700 a month! And that was 2012!

Dag-Dag
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 4:14 AM
Hot diggity HOW?!?!?!? Good lord!
Our new members pay approx. $300-$400 more than initiated members their first semester. Badges alone are over $100, and that's if you get the bare-bones, most basic badge possible. I'm sure in the south it's a big deal to have a badge that's embezzled with diamonds and other gems. Again, there's a big difference between northern Phi Mu and southern Phi Mu.

Ours are probably lower because our budgets aren't as big. My chapter only has (er, had, before graduation) 50 women, so truthfully we don't have the most expenses in the world. Aside from whatever nationals wants us to pay to them, we set everything ourselves.
Space Pony
#11 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 9:20 AM
Hot diggity HOW?!?!?!? Good lord!
Our new members pay approx. $300-$400 more than initiated members their first semester. Badges alone are over $100, and that's if you get the bare-bones, most basic badge possible. I'm sure in the south it's a big deal to have a badge that's embezzled with diamonds and other gems. Again, there's a big difference between northern Phi Mu and southern Phi Mu.

Ours are probably lower because our budgets aren't as big. My chapter only has (er, had, before graduation) 50 women, so truthfully we don't have the most expenses in the world. Aside from whatever nationals wants us to pay to them, we set everything ourselves.

Our Phi Mu was expensive as all other Panhellenics were. I'm in Cali so I guess that's why they cost a lot I guess. They accepted almost everyone if they were able to pay after pledging which was like 36 bids and 30 would show up. So they would get like 20 something each semester, 50 per year or so.

Dag-Dag