Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 6:44 PM
Default Quick Question - Proper UV Unwapping
Hey, I've recently been wanting to get into object creation after finally getting around to teaching myself unwrapping. I've been 3D modeling for around 3 years but texturing is a whole new thing for me. What I need to know is, at what point in object creation do I unwrap it, and how do I get TSRW to recognize it? I've tried a couple times with multiple different meshes and it either ends up completely black, partially textured and partially transparent, or partially black and partially transparent. Is there a step in Milkshape that I need to do concerning the textures? Most tutorials I've read are either with completely different programs than I use (I use 3DS Max, Milkshape, Gimp, and TSRW) or skip the texturing step. Thanks for helping out a noob.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 1:08 PM Last edited by Arsil : 8th Feb 2015 at 1:22 PM.
I'm not expert on 3d modeling, I've no idea how TRSW works and I'm not sure what you mean with unwrapping.

This probably is bad advice, but, hey, until someone else answers you'll have something to chew on or at least you can blame me.

WIth MilkShape, export the mesh (only a single group?) in .obj format (Wavefront) and open that file with UVMapper.
From there you can choose how to map the mesh. Overwrite or create a new .obj file.
Then you open/import the original mesh with MilkShape, import also the UVMapper-modified .obj
file and replace the mesh (just the group?) you were using before.

WARNING: I repeat, probably this is bad advice and even if it seems to work may lead to issues later.
You better check MTS's meshing tutorials and learn how to do it properly. GL.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 1:17 PM
The weird texturing you're seeing is probably because the texture doesn't match your newly-made object map, so there are invisible parts of the old texture overlaying parts of your map which should be opaque, etc. Once you've made a new texture (or even applied something like a checkered texture just so you can check that the mapping is straight), the object should start looking more like it's supposed to.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 2:35 PM
this is a must-read tutorial imo if you’re going to work with TS3 textures.

also, a tutorial (and a Youtube video here if you're more visual) in how to bake textures may come in handy. It’s for Blender, but I’m assuming Autodesk 3DS Max has some sort of normals-making tool. Autodesk Maya does… that’s why I’m assuming. I might be wrong, tho.

Also, kinda a personal thing, but I’d recommend you to UV Map in 3DS Max if that’s were you primarily worked on your mesh (instead of Milkshape). It's up to you, though, so ignore away the advice.
Test Subject
#5 Old 20th Mar 2015 at 6:02 AM
I always unwrap and map after I am done most of the object. There are some things, such as rotation that you will want to do after you map (or text direction will be wrong). Take the obj file exported from Milkshape and import it into UVMapper Pro. Load a texture that is either squares or circles (I use the green circle texture that is in EA's fabrics) Map the object according to the texture. Export it as an obj file. Import into Milkshape as a object file and then group your parts (do not group before you map or you will have a really hard time) import your original EA WSO file, and adjust the shadow and add the joints, Export as WSO. When you open TSR WS you want to go to your mesh group and click the arrow pointing in and import your WSO file. In theory you can also import a obj file, however you will lose the joints and need to assign them again in WS. Hope this helps a bit.