Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 3:43 PM
Default any up to date tutorial on extracting/linking stage simpe?
I am having trouble with a clothing conversion (TS3>TS2). I can't get my new mesh to show up, instead all I have showing up is the base mesh that I cloned in bodyshop.

I think I might have done something wrong during the extracting/linking stages in Simpe, or even the cloning in bodyshop, but the tutorial I had been following for making the clothing conversion wasn't particularly detailed about things that did not concern with converting - and while that makes absolute sense, I'm very much a noob with CAS creations and I'm struggling a bit.

I looked around but a bunch of tutorials, or users of the tutorials said they were "outdated"; can anyone vouch for any tutorial that you'd recommend me for reading?

Thank you.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 4:17 PM
There's two ways of extracting meshes: Doing it manually (from the game files), or via the PJSE tool in the menu (new file --> PJSE extract --> write the name of the mesh).

When you've extracted the mesh, remember to do fix integrity, and give the mesh a new name, or it tries to overwrite the original one.

There's two ways of linking meshes: Doing it manually (importing the CRES and SHPE from the mesh file, and replacing them in the 3DIR), or via the PJSE tool (selecting the correct 3DIR, clicing the "link" button in the PJSE tool, let SimPE do the work, and select another resource before you save).

Pretty sure the tutorials you've read explain either the manual or the auto version, whether the tutorial is outdated or not.

Also, are you sure you're using the right files? A common mistake is to edit the package file in the project folder, but you're supposed to use the one Bodyshop imports to SavedSims when you click the "import to game" button. If the file has a number in front (Example: "5f0268e8_FileName.package") it's the right one. If it doesn't ("FileName.package") it's the wrong file.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 7:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
There's two ways of linking meshes: Doing it manually (importing the CRES and SHPE from the mesh file, and replacing them in the 3DIR)

That. I've been doing it this way since forever. I do not need to follow tutorial anymore, but the one that got me started was this one . It sits in my tutorial folder. Outdated yes, a bit, so you skip some *old step*.
Extracting the meshes, manually also. I copy the name found in the property set of the file saved in Saved sims, and use the Finder tab to find all 4 (gmdc, gmnd, cres and shape)
Then File/new...add those 4, saves as and fix integrity. This is my new mesh package.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 10:21 PM Last edited by cows : 3rd Mar 2018 at 10:59 PM.
Is it okay that when I have to replace my new mesh in the cloned bodyshop file, I do it with the "import" button in PluginView? the tutorial that I'm following says "replace" which I think means to left-click on the resource name, and choose "replace" but I get a "SystemOutOfMemory" error in the filename when I try to do it that way...

EDIT: okay, so I tried again the whole linking thing (importing my mesh with "import" in plugin-view), and I think it went worse than the first time! lol. Instead of my mesh, or the EAxis base mesh that I cloned (it's the Season's EP trenchcoat), it now shows up a random base game suit in Bodyshop.

I think I'm going to try to read some more tutorials for now, because I'm really puzzled about this whole thing. Thank you both
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 5:28 AM
What do you mean by : *I have to replace my new mesh in the cloned bodyshop file* What bodyshop file?
What you do in that file if we are talking about the one in saved sims, is add your cres and shape from your new mesh..for it to be linked.
Then you replace the original cres and shape that's in the saved sims file, with yours.
You made a new mesh package with your edited mesh?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 5:55 PM
If you're getting a random outfit showing up, that probably means you messed something up in the linking stage.

I suggest the UniMesh tutorials as the most accessible/comprehensive explanation of basic Bodyshop meshing.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 5th Mar 2018 at 10:22 AM
Quick guide to linking - just an outline, you have to use a tutorial (like Unimesh) for the details:

Make a recolor
* Make a recolor of an outfit in Bodyshop (same age and gender as the one you're making - if you're making an AF outfit, use an AF outfit).
* Fix the texture and the tooltip text
* Make sure to click "import to game".

Make a new mesh
* extract a mesh for the correct age (if you're making an AF outfit, choose an AF mesh) - here you can use the PJSE tool ("Extracting stage"), or extract manually.
* Then do "Fix integrity" to give the mesh a new name (otherwise it will overwrite the mesh you cloned). Write something in the box and click "update", then "ok".
* Do "Save as..." and save with a new name.
* go to the GMDC resource, extract the mesh (to get the adult skeleton) by right-clicking the GMDC and choosing "extract".
* Do whatever changes you need to do in the meshing program you're using (use a tutorial for details - Unimesh is fine)
* When you're done with the mesh, export it as the SimPE format.
* Import the mesh (Right-click GMDC, click "replace"), commit and save.

Linking
* Find the recolor file in the SavedSims folder, and open it.
* Go to the 3DIR (wait for it to load)
* Choose Tools --> PJSE/linking stage, and select the mesh file (NOT the recolor file!) you just made. Click OK in the boxes that pop up.
* Click another resource (like the popup box says)
* Save the file.