Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 4:21 AM
Default What are you working on?
So, now that we've gotten the chance to play with the tool some, I bet many people have started making plans and such on different cities to make. So whatcha making?

I've been trying to make a basic downtown city, but it's turning out to be more like someone crumpled up riverview into a paper ball.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 4:50 AM
I'm working on a very large city with a beach attraction. The beach has a strip of community lots and restaurants. I am also working on the trailer park area as well. It is going to be a circle drive filled entirely with mobile homes and trailers. I am also going to have A "rich area" and a middle class area, a downtown in the center of the map, and a lot of site seeing type stuff around the outer skirts.

It's going to take me a long time, I'm sure since I am just now figuring out the roads and sidewalks. When it comes to actually building on the lots, I'm sure I'll give up, I am not much of a builder. It takes me days to build an acceptable house!
Eminence Grise
#3 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 6:45 AM
I figure that a lot of people like to build, so if folks can deliver nice worlds ready for houses, there'll be plenty of people happy to put houses on em... or just get permission from some of our prolific architects, and use some of the many houses already out there

I'm working on a medium-sized island, focused on a nice crescent-shaped beach area and a science/industrial area up in the mountains inland. The beachside will be mostly residential, with an "old town" (city hall and small businesses) across the road from the houses. Trying to keep the whole thing as small-scale as possible while still having a fully functional town. Will definitely experiment with some of the rabbit hole substitutes in order to avoid having too many big buildings.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 9:15 AM
I'm working on a small island (using the Tiny map, was only going to try out the tool on it, but ended up making a town on it). Its a small, close knit town, which plenty of views of the ocean.

Retired
retired moderator
#5 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 9:34 AM
I'm working on a much, much larger, and much more functional version of this: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=1703461

Hopefully I'll bring it over to MTS in a month or two.

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 12:52 PM
I'm working on Camelot right now, I'm basing it on the Merlin TV series so its going to be quite mountainous and very foresty, its a slow process lots of flattening and smoothing involved but once its done I can finally put my Arthurian sims in it!
Test Subject
#7 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 12:55 PM
I'm trying to work on a little steampunk village of some sort.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 1:16 AM
Your town is beautiful Kiwi tea! I especially love the colors and landscaping. I cant wait to see it when it's done!
Forum Resident
#9 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 1:42 AM
I'm starting out with Venice. It's flat and consists of canals, roads, bridges and lots. I figured it was a good project to learn the tool with. It's just too bad there aren't any Sim-friendly boats. The real Venice doesn't allow cars, but mine will. Of course, a "car" shaped like a boat would be great, but since my stick-figures don't even look like sticks I think meshing a new vehicle is probably something I should leave to others, lol. Anyway, considering the lack of appropirate architecture the only thing that will be Venetian is the island and canals. I could build some "shell" houses to stick in it though. You know, like WA, only the first floor us used and the building is more or less decoration.

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Eminence Grise
#10 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 3:32 AM
NekoCat, you could make it Venice, California It has canals AND cars! And the houses are very cute, but nothing like Venice, Italy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice...les,_California
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 4:50 AM
Scraped previous project.. too many things I wanted to change.

Though here's what I just started..
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#12 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 6:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
NekoCat, you could make it Venice, California It has canals AND cars! And the houses are very cute, but nothing like Venice, Italy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice...les,_California

I've been there, it turns out I think my town will definately turn out to be combination of both. Maybe I'll just call it "Venice" and if it's good enough to upload, let people decide if its CA or Italy on their own.

After a lot of trial and error I finally figured out how to do roads and bridges so tomorrow I might actually make some progress on the layout.

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 7:16 AM
I'm working on my patience, waiting for plasticbox or somebody else to upload a super-lovely town for me to download.
Eminence Grise
#14 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 1:17 PM
Here's my "old town" area, so far, taken from the beach side. It all opens up towards the ocean, so most of the community areas will have great views.

All the world landscaping and footpaths still to do of course.

There are residential lots on each side of the town loop, and in front are the beach park, spa (with outdoor coffee area), swimming pool, and gym (exercise equipment is outdoors facing the ocean, indoors is juice bar, foosball and changing rooms).
Test Subject
#15 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 7:11 PM Last edited by User Name_SC : 19th Dec 2009 at 7:26 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Here's my "old town" area, so far, taken from the beach side. It all opens up towards the ocean, so most of the community areas will have great views.

All the world landscaping and footpaths still to do of course.

There are residential lots on each side of the town loop, and in front are the beach park, spa (with outdoor coffee area), swimming pool, and gym (exercise equipment is outdoors facing the ocean, indoors is juice bar, foosball and changing rooms).

where can I download that at? I hope this site opens up an area in downloads soon, these islands sounds like something I'll want to download for sure.
Eminence Grise
#16 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 11:16 PM
LOL -- that is VERY far from being done. It takes a long time to do anything reasonably usable and complete in CAW, let alone attractive. There'll be a downloads section created here as soon as somebody submits something that meets our standards, but give it a few more days

If you're interested in playing something that somebody just threw together, I'm sure there's plenty of that on the Exchange!
Forum Resident
#17 Old 20th Dec 2009 at 4:20 AM Last edited by NekoCat : 20th Dec 2009 at 1:37 PM.
Wow. Canals are evil. Even with the grid on it isn't possible to draw a crisp, clean, straight valley. And I found a bug where some valley's, even though they are deep enough, don't have water in them. I had to fiddle around with them to get them to fill up. Anyway, the stories about it taking a month to create a world are starting to sound more and more true. I spent several hours trying to get my canals straight and decided to take a break and do some lurking on this site before I pulled all my hair out, . I really hope I can get mine done in a week. I tend to have a short attention span... if it takes too long I might get sidetracked...

Anyway, I attached a picture of my world, such as it is. It's not pretty right now. I was thinking it looks more like the Florida Everglades, or perhaps a bayou/swamp than Venice I'm going to do some landscaping next. The canals might look better after the roads and some plants and trees and terrain paint. I am learning a lot, though, and that is the main point of this. And it is fun!
Screenshots

Eminence Grise
#18 Old 20th Dec 2009 at 4:39 AM
Wow Neko, that looks great

Yknow, though, if you really want straight lines and accurate angles, you'd probably be better off importing your heightmaps from a 2D graphics program... a raster program like Photoshop or even a vector app like Illustrator. Those give you all the tools you need to place lines with complete precision, and you can use gradient fill tools to get the thickness of your canals and the slope of the banks just right.

Not saying yours needs fixing, looks excellent!
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 20th Dec 2009 at 7:27 PM
I am building an inactive volcanic island. There is a lot inside of the crater and a massive waterfall on the other side.

Forum Resident
#20 Old 22nd Dec 2009 at 6:47 AM
There sure are a lot of details to creating a town. Especially since Venice is completely paved with only a few patches of green (I've been using Google Earth to look at it). I'll have to add extra landscaping to make it seem less harsh. It would really lend itself to an apartment EP.

Anyway, I got the shopping district nearly done. It has the bookstore, market, spa, theater, and bistro, as well as a beach area for fishing, a park and an open space. There are also three empty lots zoned commercial because I am ever hopeful that one day an EP for OFB will come out and I can place my own businesses there. In the meantime, they could be rezoned as residential and a sim could live there, of course.

Here is a screenshot of the downtown. The empty lots aren't so great to look at. I'm almost thinking of putting shell buildings in to fill it up. Putting grass down might look odd - I mean random squares of grass covering pavement might start looking like a chess board instead of a town. If anyone has any ideas, please share

Here is a view from the bridge overlooking the ocean. Nice... :lovestruc

Test Subject
#21 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 9:37 AM
Hi..
After few problems with caw, and two reinstatement of all games, this is my new world.
Golden Valley, small map, with lush landscaping and lake with waterfall...
Town will be quaint and with few interesting residents.
5 community lots and 5 residential.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#22 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 9:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NekoCat

Here is a view from the bridge overlooking the ocean. Nice... :lovestruc

really nice :D:D:Dlove it!!!!! :lovestruc
Theorist
#23 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 7:18 PM
Oh, wow! I am seeing some very nice stuff here!

I'm building mountains! Eventually there will be other stuff to go with those mountains. I won't say exactly what the name of the project is but I've been planning on this for months.

Anyway, here is a picture of part of my mountains (the ocean won't be visible there when I'm finished).