Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 8:54 AM
Default Sims Movie in the Works
Margot Robbie (Barbie) and her production company are working on a movie based on the Sims. Couldn't decide if this was on or off topic. It's Sims related, but not really about gaming per se, more about entertainment using our favorite franchise. Any guesses if the Sims will seem more like Sims 4 Sims than anything else?

Here's one source :https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...hap-1235856997/

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 9:47 AM
So... horror movie? Comedy? Romance? Drama? Something else?
(I think some sort of comedy and/or comedy scare combo would work - plain drama would likely be boring, and we don't need another existensial crisis movie unless it's got a comedy/scare twist)

Otherwise it's just going to be a movie about people living everyday lives, picking up collectibles on the neighbor's lawn, setting fire to themselves while cooking a burger, or randomly building a rocket in the back yard before going on a quest to an unknown planet (basically lots of stuff happening, but no plot).

And it's quite obvious it's going to be TS4 based. They've more or less "forgotten" (or want to forget, anyway) that the other games exist.

Comedy/scare/existensial twists (done in less than 5 minutes - there are several more of these)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJPfETkj_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMXME2pm83c
Mad Poster
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 10:41 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 23rd Mar 2024 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Clarity and Addendum
If anything, they may explain the lore of the families we've known for the past (almost) 25 years.

If anything, it would be likely to be similar to "Barbie" and it would go deeper than any existential dread and crises we may have burdened on our polygonal people.

I'm not sure how one writes a movie about an extremely open-ended subject like a fashion doll who had spent 65 years evolving from teen supermodel to a model of a modern woman who can be anything NOR about a game with so many ways to make it work, that even in a "vanilla" base game, you have no wrong way of working with it, because there is no ultimately defined end goal, which is possibly why it was in production limbo for so long.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 11:28 PM
Not too interested in a "deep lore" movie, either. I find it much more interesting when players do those types of stories. Making a movie out of it kind of settles the mystery around whatever theme it is. I'd much rather there be 1598+ different player versions of for instance why Bella disappeared in TS2, than "this is the lore EAxis agrees with through an approved movie" and from then on everyone is conspiring mostly around the movie, instead of the game.

They'd better come up with a new story for a change. There's no need for a prequel-type movie, or a not-so-creative story about already very known characters.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old Yesterday at 11:29 PM
I wouldn't mind something centering around some of the original families. There are already so many alternate storylines that do not all add up between the games, that I think there's room for a movie interpretation. The idea of horror or mystery could be amusing. If it's anything like the Barbie movie, it will have quirks and features that Sim's fans will recognize, while exploring something a bit more universal to the human experience.

Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
And it's quite obvious it's going to be TS4 based. They've more or less "forgotten" (or want to forget, anyway) that the other games exist.
This part makes me sad and is most likely true. The earlier games had some fun and cherished humor that is lacking in the latest game, even if the latest one has some charm. Talking to teens today, they all reference Sims 4 - some even saying this is what their parents play. *Sigh*

Remember when Rooster Teeth Productions made a movie or series using Sims 2 characters? That was awesome and sadly did not draw enough interest to make it worth their time and effort. We're so niche.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old Yesterday at 11:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Remember when Rooster Teeth Productions made a movie or series using Sims 2 characters? That was awesome and sadly did not draw enough interest to make it worth their time and effort. We're so niche.

I loved that series so much, Wade (Durnt Dude) was one of the founders in my main hood!