Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 10:21 AM Last edited by Elfmaid : 28th Apr 2005 at 10:23 AM. Reason: argh my typing is AWFUL!!! get thee from me TYPO demons!
Default Suggestions from modlers please? Arches, windows and doorways?
Hullo!

Well, I've made a few textures, and successfully EXPORTED a couple of game objects to look at in Maya... now I have to ask for a bit of guidance for modelling/alpha mapping etc for the Sims 2? I know a few of you here have successfully created new windows and doors etc... would any of you mind me asking for a general hint of where to find tutorials about these sorts of modifications please?

I looked through the tutorials and got a bit lost (and distracted, I'm far too interested in far too much darnit). My idea is basically to do art nouveau styled embellishments for windows and doors... but I don't want to nuke the polycount of the objects into the stratosphere either. No good making new goodies if it makes folks' systems seize up.

I'm not asking this way to be lazy, but because I might have more specific questions eventually about how TS2 handles these things, and I know more than a few of you might have some very valuable information about how it works for this particular engine.

ANY kind mentions and guidance would be deeply and genuinely appreciated.

Very Sincerely,

Elfmaid ^_^

Let's face it, I KNOW I've been at this too long when successfully importing a new skin texture or a new model puts me in a real life Platinum Mood!
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 11:34 AM Last edited by Inge Jones : 28th Apr 2005 at 11:36 AM. Reason: to add comment
I don't think the community as a whole has sorted out doors and windows meshing yet, because most people who have tried it come up against the new mesh not cutting the wall opening.

Numenor's transparent wall is a wonderful solution if you're going to make a door or window that fills in the entire height of the wall, but of course if you tried making a normal height door for this there would be a gap above.

It occurs to me that if you wanted mainly just to add embellishment around the door, you could make that out of a decorative object and have it stand against the wall looking as if it was part of the door. I or most of the other hackers here could then help you get it to stand on the same tile as the door, or you could tell your users to place it using move_objects.