Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th May 2006 at 9:06 AM
Default Tool to identify meshes vs. recolors?
I'm wondering if there exists a tool that can scan your downloads and find "orphaned" recolors that don't have a mesh (and maybe tell you what mesh it needs)? or vice versa....meshes that don't have any textures. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 22nd May 2006 at 8:43 PM
I would like to suggest SimPE and the 'Scan Folder' feature under 'Tools'. It has a Mesh Scanner (also called Object or Base in list view) and a Recolor Basemesh Scanner (called Recolor in list view) option. It also shows you if a basemesh is found with 'Yes' or 'No' in list view and by highlighting the line entry in red. This usually will give you enough information on where to look for the base object. The only thing it can't do is produce the creator's name if they have neglected to identify their object mesh or recolor by the suggested format for file naming convention.

Hope this helps,
HeartDeco
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd May 2006 at 10:17 PM
Thanks, I tried that it didn't get me anywhere Mostly I guess the problem I'm having is with clothes. I have several clothing items that evidently I don't have the meshes for Thanks for trying though
Scholar
#4 Old 11th Jun 2006 at 11:16 PM
Unfortunately, the way it is done in SimPE is as good as it gets - there is no information inside a recolor .package (clothing, hair, or accessory) that gives the filename of the mesh it needs. The links to the mesh are all just a series of numbers, so SimPE can only tell you if it is missing.

The only way to do it is to be careful when you download clothing to make sure you have the necessary mesh - it should say on the site where you got the clothing if the mesh is included with the download, or give a link where you can download it.
Test Subject
#5 Old 22nd Sep 2006 at 5:39 AM
Default I'm having a similar problem
I have hair and clothing meshes I am certain have no textures. I didn't realize they didn't get deleted until this week. What a mess. I tried to figure out how touse Datgen or SimPE to identify the filename of the mesh for each texture. There is a kind of a lot, but if I could figure it out I could spend an afternoon and clean it all up. There is probably a couple hundred useless files. A tutorial on how to find out the filename would really help. Isit possible to disable the file rightin the program?
Test Subject
#6 Old 2nd Mar 2007 at 4:27 AM
Default Sorry
Sorry for answering this post so late as I just saw it.

In SimPE it is possible to disable unused meshes, and to make it easier after disabling them you can use Clean Installer and subfolderize all the disabled meshes. Just scan in SimPE and see your results.

Again, sorry for such a long time away of this post, as I just saw this.

Anywho, hope this helps somewhat!
Test Subject
#7 Old 7th Mar 2007 at 1:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HeartDeco
I would like to suggest SimPE and the 'Scan Folder' feature under 'Tools'. It has a Mesh Scanner (also called Object or Base in list view) and a Recolor Basemesh Scanner (called Recolor in list view) option. It also shows you if a basemesh is found with 'Yes' or 'No' in list view and by highlighting the line entry in red. This usually will give you enough information on where to look for the base object. The only thing it can't do is produce the creator's name if they have neglected to identify their object mesh or recolor by the suggested format for file naming convention.

Hope this helps,
HeartDeco

When I scan the Downloads folder checking Recolor Basemesh scanner, SimPE tells me ALWAYS "yes", even if I'm sure that the needed mesh isn't in the folder (I tried to scan the folder with and without the mesh, but the answer was always "yes"). Why?

Sorry for my English...
Thank you,
Patty.
Test Subject
#8 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 11:15 AM Last edited by Jerry123 : 11th Mar 2007 at 12:42 PM.
Your english is fine
I lack some meshes too. Isn't there any way to get any clue about what mesh you need?

Jerry

EDIT: SimPE tells me, for all downloads, that 'Found Base' = 'Yes'. Some of the downoads SimPE calls 'Cloth' (this includes hairstyles too) have 'Health' = 'Unknown' so I *think* these could possibly be the meshless recolors. I'll try to find any easy way to take these files out of the game and then check in-game if the number of hairstyles and clothes appearing as a default one has decreased to something close to 0.

Is there any modification or so out there that can tell you the filename of some hairstyle or clothing in-game? Then it's just writing down the filenames of the meshless recolors found and deleting them one by one. Clicking the delete button in-game is no option, since it takes like five minutes to delete a single object.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jerry123
Is there any modification or so out there that can tell you the filename of some hairstyle or clothing in-game? Then it's just writing down the filenames of the meshless recolors found and deleting them one by one. Clicking the delete button in-game is no option, since it takes like five minutes to delete a single object.

Yes I believe that the Custom Content Manager tool made by EA can both show the name & filename of custom content

The Sims 2 Content Manager Tool

Life's a game, so let's play!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 3:17 AM
It's often good for creators to state out whether it's a mesh, a mod, a recolour, etc in the naming of the files in the first place.

The sequence of the strings is not as significant as the presence of them.

If there're too many files, use a free renaming batch programme. May google them out.
Test Subject
#11 Old 14th Mar 2007 at 7:47 PM Last edited by Jerry123 : 14th Mar 2007 at 10:46 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by frillen
Yes I believe that the Custom Content Manager tool made by EA can both show the name & filename of custom content

The Sims 2 Content Manager Tool
I'll check it out now! sounds good so far thanks for the hint!

EDIT: it can show the filename and name as appearing in-game indeed, but it doesn't check if the required mesh is there, which is the thing I'm looking for. Still, it's a far more easy-to-use downloads manager/lister than SimPE's Folder scan and it's also much faster, so thanks for pointing at it anyway.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 29th Mar 2007 at 6:46 PM
There is a plugin for SimPE that can tell you if you have a mesh without any recolours: available here -

http://theos.chewbakkas.net/tools/meshscanner.html

Instructions on the page where to install it and what it does. But I do not know of any tool yet about recolours without mesh

"A man who keeps company with glaciers comes to feel tolerably insignificant by and by." Mark Twain
Test Subject
#13 Old 3rd Apr 2007 at 9:59 PM
At least it's something *says thanks*
Test Subject
#14 Old 13th May 2007 at 5:33 AM
I was reading the posts about finding orphan meshes and such and followed the link to Theos shack for the SimPE Scanner. It says it will work with versions 6.0 etc. Will it work with the new Seasons/Celebrations/Stories version? It sounds like a program I've been needing for some time now and I don't know whether to try it out with the newer version or not. Does anyone know whether it will work or not? Or should I just wait and hope a newer version comes out eventually?

[I]Carolyn Moore
[I][email protected]
Field Researcher
#15 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 5:00 AM
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=227925

this thing is awesome, it shows meshes without recolors and recolors missing meshes.