Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 6:08 PM Last edited by Simsailija : 23rd Aug 2014 at 6:25 PM.
Default Buying a used computer for The Sims 2/3/4
Hi!

I don't have any computer that would run The Sims 3 or 4 and I don't need a new one for anything else than playing The Sims, so I'm thinking about buying a used computer. It should run The Sims 2 UC, The Sims 3 with first four EPs and The Sims 4. The specs of the computer are below and it would cost only 120 euros.

CPU: Core 2 Duo 3.0GHZ
GPU: Geforce 8800GT
Power: Antec 500W
Case: Antec Sonata II
Motherboard: Asus P5B-WM
RAM: 2GB

It can't run the later The Sims 3 EPs but the price is quite affordable and The Sims 4 with EPs is the most important game it should run. I'm also worried if the computer is so old that it won't last with me.

What do you think? Will this run at least The Sims 2 and 4?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 10:46 PM
Frankly, I think it barely runs 2, but 3 and 4 may have some problems. RAM is an issue, CPU and GPU are quite old.

"Ride to live, live to ride...wheels of fire, forever!!!!!!!!!"
Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 10:58 PM
I'm no tech, but you need to look for something that has at least 4GB of RAM.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 11:29 PM
This isn't going to work. I could barely run TS2 on a laptop with 3GB RAM while I was building a new desktop. It's out of the question for TS3 and probably TS4.

I think I had that Graphics Card for TS3 without expansions but it didn't last very long.

You might want to spend a little more or build your own. Have a look over at the tech help forum, you might get some ideas.

I think, overall, if it runs TS3 with expansions, it will run TS4. for now.
Scholar
#5 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 9:10 AM
While 120 Euros is an okay price for what it is, it's not sufficiently powerful to play the sims 3/4.

I think it's okay for the sims 2.

If I were you I would look for something better.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 6:28 PM
Thanks for the answers!

What about these specs? It would cost 150 euros, so not bad at all.

CPU: Intel Core 2 duo E8400
GPU: GeForce GTX 650 1GB
RAM: 5GB

Should this be fine for The Sims 3 and 4?
Scholar
#7 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 11:09 PM
Default No Chance
Quote: Originally posted by Simsailija
Thanks for the answers!

What about these specs? It would cost 150 euros, so not bad at all.

CPU: Intel Core 2 duo E8400
GPU: GeForce GTX 650 1GB
RAM: 5GB

Should this be fine for The Sims 3 and 4?

Humm... Ram usually comes in pairs so 5 gigs seems to be in error. The CPU is just too weak, and the card will force you to use low settings. The games themselves tell what are the minimum requirements needed. I would start there. In my opinion you need a current multicore processor. Start with an i3 at least 4 gigs of ram, and an Intel HD graphics card.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 1:37 PM
I'm also concerned about the CPU and the RAM thing is indeed weird but GeForce GTX 650 is in recommended requirements and Intel HD is integrated, right? My current computer (Mac mini) has 4 GB RAM, 2,5 GHz Intel Core i5 and Intel HD Graphics 4000 but I wouldn't take the gamble knowing integrated GPUs tend to overheat when gaming.