Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Mar 2023 at 1:51 PM
Default Functional animals from sims 4 and sims 3 possible for sims 2?
I don't play sims 4, but I seem some playthroughs of it. I like how you can bond with the farm animals and that they move and have animation. I also like how there are wild animals like the fox and rabbit. I was wondering if it's possible to convert them from sims 4 to sims 2 with all or some of their functionality? I was thinking the rabbit and fox can share some function with the skunk. Like how the skunk can show up to your lot. I think the same could work the sims 3 deer and racoon.

I'm not sure how the farm animals will function. I was thinking maybe they functional like cats and dogs, with building relationships, but have them not take up a family slot. The horse I was thinking could be bought like how you buy a pet from a display. I think create a style could change into create a pet, maybe by linking the horse patterns to the large dog. Or maybe you can pick their color similiar to the wormrat or the parrot.

I'm not a modder, so I don't know if this is possible.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 4th Mar 2023 at 3:20 PM
Converting the meshes of those animals in The Sims 2 is fairly easy; the real problem would be setting up animations, because the 3D models of sims in TS2 don't have the same "bone assignment" of sims in TS4. You have to adjust every single animation so that it works with the "skeleton" of sims in TS2.
A modder would have to dedicate many months, maybe years to make what you wrote.
If you would like to play with animals in TS2, I would suggest Sun&Moon's farming mods. Here's a link: http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...p?f=240&t=10791
The animals are not fully animated, because that's incredibly hard to do and would probably make the game lag, but they often change pose, and teleport to a different position around the area where you make them live (for example a fenched square in the garden, or enclosed stables). The animals also make noises! This helps make them more immersive, instead of silent immobile statues. You have to feed them and take care of them, and depending on the species you can collect wool, slaughter them to get meat etcetera.

If you want an alternative way to play with more species of animals, there are a lot of good-looking custom breeds of dogs and cats that are modelled to look like other animals. Some of the ones that I use are llamas, coyotes, polar bears, pandas, lions as dogs, and raccoons as cats. They will act like normal pets BUT if you give into the suspension of disbelief you can create a llama ranch! Or maybe you can create a young girl who travels around Veronaview with her polar bear friend and a magic compass. Malcolm Landgraab is definitely the kind of person who would illegally own a tiger.
Many of the custom pet breeds that I use are here on Mod The Sims. Here's a link to the llama breeds that I use and love, I find them so quirky and cute: https://strangetomato.tumblr.com/po...ma-breeds#notes
Alchemist
#3 Old 4th Mar 2023 at 3:55 PM
It's possible, but due to the rudimentary modding tools for Sims 2, creating something like this would be one of the most frustrating experiences of your life. Maybe one day, if we ever get better programs.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Mar 2023 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Khal Ulti
Converting the meshes of those animals in The Sims 2 is fairly easy; the real problem would be setting up animations, because the 3D models of sims in TS2 don't have the same "bone assignment" of sims in TS4. You have to adjust every single animation so that it works with the "skeleton" of sims in TS2.
A modder would have to dedicate many months, maybe years to make what you wrote.
If you would like to play with animals in TS2, I would suggest Sun&Moon's farming mods. Here's a link: http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...p?f=240&t=10791
The animals are not fully animated, because that's incredibly hard to do and would probably make the game lag, but they often change pose, and teleport to a different position around the area where you make them live (for example a fenched square in the garden, or enclosed stables). The animals also make noises! This helps make them more immersive, instead of silent immobile statues. You have to feed them and take care of them, and depending on the species you can collect wool, slaughter them to get meat etcetera.

If you want an alternative way to play with more species of animals, there are a lot of good-looking custom breeds of dogs and cats that are modelled to look like other animals. Some of the ones that I use are llamas, coyotes, polar bears, pandas, lions as dogs, and raccoons as cats. They will act like normal pets BUT if you give into the suspension of disbelief you can create a llama ranch! Or maybe you can create a young girl who travels around Veronaview with her polar bear friend and a magic compass. Malcolm Landgraab is definitely the kind of person who would illegally own a tiger.
Many of the custom pet breeds that I use are here on Mod The Sims. Here's a link to the llama breeds that I use and love, I find them so quirky and cute: https://strangetomato.tumblr.com/po...ma-breeds#notes

I thought the animation would just have to be scale down for the sims 2 character, but I guess you have to do more than just that. I not a fan of deco animals, but I do like the idea of custom pet breeds being a good work around. Though I wonder if it's possible to make a mod that makes pets spawn wool? Like giving a llama dog a token to spawn wool? (I'm not sure if pets can be given tokens) I also wonder if it's possible to make the parrot a chicken to lay eggs?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Mar 2023 at 4:26 PM
If you want animated animals, then Rebecah made some. http://affinitysims.com/index.php?/...mated-chickens/, for example, but there are more on the site.

The thing that you have to be very careful about when using these is never to remove them once you've loaded a neighbourhood with them, because they spawn a NPC to make them move which can break things if deleted. So test them out in a throwaway neighbourhood and if you like them then just make sure not to delete them. Sun and Moon's stuff doesn't have the same problem because it isn't really animated.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Mar 2023 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
If you want animated animals, then Rebecah made some. http://affinitysims.com/index.php?/...mated-chickens/, for example, but there are more on the site.

The thing that you have to be very careful about when using these is never to remove them once you've loaded a neighbourhood with them, because they spawn a NPC to make them move which can break things if deleted. So test them out in a throwaway neighbourhood and if you like them then just make sure not to delete them. Sun and Moon's stuff doesn't have the same problem because it isn't really animated.

I do know rebach animals, but I heard a lot of people had problems with it. Like the npcs showing up inside the cows. I also had some problem with rebach's items in th e past. I had this ladybug rideable toy for toddlers that caused my adult sim to get stuck inside it, when he went to check it out. I do think there items are interesting, but some of them are kinda buggy.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 4th Mar 2023 at 4:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by blooddiamondrose2
Though I wonder if it's possible to make a mod that makes pets spawn wool? Like giving a llama dog a token to spawn wool? (I'm not sure if pets can be given tokens) I also wonder if it's possible to make the parrot a chicken to lay eggs?

Did you look at the Sun&Moon farming mods linked to you in post #2? You can have wool and eggs from the animals there, and much more.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Mar 2023 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Did you look at the Sun&Moon farming mods linked to you in post #2? You can have wool and eggs from the animals there, and much more.

I did. I just don't have an interest in deco animals. Though I am wondering if pets could be used as a substitute. Like giving a specific dog a token to spawn wool on the lot. I'm not sure, if that's possible.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 4th Mar 2023 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by blooddiamondrose2
I did. I just don't have an interest in deco animals. Though I am wondering if pets could be used as a substitute. Like giving a specific dog a token to spawn wool on the lot. I'm not sure, if that's possible.

I wrote exactly the same thing in another thread some days ago! As I use custom pet breeds, I would LOVE a mod that uses tokens to identify animals. The fact is, I don't think pets have inventories in The Sims 2 because they don't really need to store items like sims. I may have to check this though...
If pets had inventories, making tokens for them would be as easy as making trait tokens for the Traits Mod and adding behaviour to these tokens. If pets do not have inventories, well, you would need to find some type of workaround, for example a custom object which can be put in a sim's inventory and lets them sheer pets. Then the new question would be, what do you do with the wool? A modder would need to think of ways to make the wool useful, like selling it for simoleon or transforming it into an outfit. Sun&Moon already did this in their mod: the wool you collect can be sold or used to make cloth. Another modder could do a similar thing, so instead of using Sun&Moon's farm animals you simply add that same sheering interaction to pets.
Of course this mod would need to be made from scratch, because Sun&Moon do not allow their mods to be edited and republished, as their mods are all intertwined with one another, often get updated and also they've spent so many hours working on them so it's fair that they choose what to do with their work.
Still, it would be possible to make a mod that adds a sheering interaction to pets, so your idea could be made into a reality if you were to find a modder interested in such a project!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Mar 2023 at 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Khal Ulti
I wrote exactly the same thing in another thread some days ago! As I use custom pet breeds, I would LOVE a mod that uses tokens to identify animals. The fact is, I don't think pets have inventories in The Sims 2 because they don't really need to store items like sims. I may have to check this though...
If pets had inventories, making tokens for them would be as easy as making trait tokens for the Traits Mod and adding behaviour to these tokens. If pets do not have inventories, well, you would need to find some type of workaround, for example a custom object which can be put in a sim's inventory and lets them sheer pets. Then the new question would be, what do you do with the wool? A modder would need to think of ways to make the wool useful, like selling it for simoleon or transforming it into an outfit. Sun&Moon already did this in their mod: the wool you collect can be sold or used to make cloth. Another modder could do a similar thing, so instead of using Sun&Moon's farm animals you simply add that same sheering interaction to pets.
Of course this mod would need to be made from scratch, because Sun&Moon do not allow their mods to be edited and republished, as their mods are all intertwined with one another, often get updated and also they've spent so many hours working on them so it's fair that they choose what to do with their work.
Still, it would be possible to make a mod that adds a sheering interaction to pets, so your idea could be made into a reality if you were to find a modder interested in such a project!

I guess giving a pet a token wouldn't work. I think your idea of a custom object would work better. Maybe it could be used in this knitting set: https://www.tumblr.com/tony-veis/66...ft-knitting-4t2
I could try posting on the wishing tree, but I'm not sure where I would find a modder.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 5th Mar 2023 at 4:04 PM
There are Rebecah's sets of animated animals. They use NPCs and should not be removed from your downloads after installation, so test them in a testing hood in a testing EA Games folder, and make sure you are satisfied before you install them in your favorite neighborhood's EA Games folder. You need to treat them exactly like you would a default pollination technician set.

I think they will all be in this part of her site, but you'll want to poke around and check. http://affinitysims.com/index.php?/...imated-objects/

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh