Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 7:35 PM
It does that BEFORE you try to import anything, as soon as you click on the "object wizard" button. My res is 1280x960.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 7:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rentechd
tkdjunkie,Saikatsu,

(stuff about Maya, snipped cause it's long)

I don't really see how this applies to me... I'm not using Maya. I'm using 3D Studio Max version 5.1.

I did finally manage to get the mesh into 3DS by importing the OBJ to MilkShape, then exporting it as a .3ds file and then opening that into 3DS. x_x
I have a feeling though that the object I want to try sticking into my game won't exactly look right in regards to textures. It's a crystal object and uses a special set of material settings. My guess is that I'd have to just mimic the effect by tweaking the alpha or something...
I've attached a picture of the object... don't mind the blue background, that's just left over from the last time I rendered it, I was using it to decorate my CD case and the cover image had that blue background.

I also modeled a pretty lame looking penguin >_> Probably won't use it cause it looks horrible and I can't remember how to do UVW mapping. Been too long. u_u
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 7:53 PM Last edited by Tiggy027 : 30th Jan 2005 at 7:58 PM.
Quote:
It does that BEFORE you try to import anything, as soon as you click on the "object wizard" button. My res is 1280x960.

Same here...the window with the browse button is already black...so it is BEFORE you import a file. My res is 1024x768.

Edit to add: If I use the "Load 3d File" button everything shows up normal
On a Radical Sabbatical :)
retired moderator
#79 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tiggy027
I hope I'm in the right thread here....I would like to know what I do wrong
when using the MTS2 Mesh Tool. I started it, the first screen looked how it
should look and when I clicked on the Object Wizard the window that opened
up was totally black. I managed to follow the tutorial and successfully imported a new object but it would be nice if I could actually see what it says
in the windows...:-) Any help is appreciated.

Did you download Visual Basic 6 runtimes? The tool won't work without it.
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tkdjunkie
Did you download Visual Basic 6 runtimes? The tool won't work without it.

Yes, the tool WORKS just great. It's just almost impossible to read (only when clicking the button "object wizard" ).
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#81 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:33 PM
okay I`ll look into this, it`s going to be hard to find what is wrong as it only does it for some people.
Forum Resident
#82 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:35 PM
First: I have the same problem as thomasriordan, my object is showing fine in the game but does not appear as an catalog icon. Has anyone an idea how the icons are generated or on what information they are based? Any help would be appreciated.

Second: I have the same problem with black windowparts in the mesh tool that other users reported.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:40 PM Last edited by WDS BriAnna : 30th Jan 2005 at 8:42 PM.
Miche, it reminded me of a windows color setting error. Like the background is referencing a color that is light on some settings.

In windows display properties-appearance I am using Windows XP Style silver. Both tutorials show someone using classic style. (Edit correction: one is xp style olive). If I switch to classic style or the olive xp -- the error IS GONE.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#84 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:44 PM Last edited by Miche : 30th Jan 2005 at 8:47 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by WDS BriAnna
Miche, it reminded me of a windows color setting error. Like the background is referencing a color that is light on some settings.

In windows display properties-appearance I am using Windows XP Style silver. Both tutorials show someone using classic style. (Edit correction: one is xp style olive). If I switch to classic style or the olive xp -- the error IS GONE.

yeah I`m using the classic view. Will correct this. While I do if anyone who has this problem is unsure what each of the three wizard screens say, there are screenshots in the New object tutorial in this sub forum.

Ref: missing icons.
I`m unsure how you make the game rebuild the icons, I`ve only had missing icons when the object doesn`t show up in the game. however I have had icons which haven`t updated straight away after I have made more changes to a object, but they correct themselves after a while.
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:47 PM
BriAnna, you are right. I use the Windows XP style silver too and I just switched back to the classic style and it works. Thank you so much.
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:49 PM
Default Sims 2 Mesh Tool "problem"
getting error:

Run-time error '6':

overflow

It happens with various .obj files, (of various sizes) upon trying to import, but not all. Anyone have any information?

thanks,

Brasstex
Forum Resident
#87 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:50 PM
Black window Parts: Same here. Olive works, silver doesn't.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#88 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Brasstex
getting error:

Run-time error '6':

overflow

It happens with various .obj files, (of various sizes) upon trying to import, but not all. Anyone have any information?

thanks,

Brasstex

can you post a obj file that you are getting this problem with, thanks.
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 9:03 PM
None of my object will show up. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Either the old object appears or nothing appears at all.
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Miche
can you post a obj file that you are getting this problem with, thanks.

here is one of them....

Thanks
Brasstex
Attached files:
File Type: rar  commport.rar (1,001.5 KB, 22 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 9:28 PM
Just a guess: that's a giant obj file. Most that I've tried are WELL under a mb. That one's 6. I don't think the program can handle that many vertices (and I don't think the game can either.)
Test Subject
#92 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xanathon
Black window Parts: Same here. Olive works, silver doesn't.

I'll confirm that too.

I am not a number, I am a free man
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#93 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nemi
None of my object will show up. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Either the old object appears or nothing appears at all.

This is normaly a problem with the shape entries, not linking the meshes to the MATD files, recheck this part of your package (and re go through the tutorial)

If that still doesn`t help, there are two ways to check that the importer converted the object correctly:

1: use the 3d view in the mesh tool , the check box for this is on the second screen of the wizard (the bottom check box), or in the file menu on the main screen.
Really to use this, your 3d program needs to create a mtl file (and have the texture files) along with the OBJ file, if the mesh tool doesn`t find the mtl file or texture file then the object will be either white or use the standard texture map (the file called standard.bmp, which you can of course change to what colour you want)

2: Once you have the gmdc file into simpe, you can use Delphy`s plug-in to re-export it and check in your normal 3d progam that it is in fact your new object.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#94 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 10:31 PM Last edited by Miche : 30th Jan 2005 at 10:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Brasstex
here is one of them....

Thanks
Brasstex

Like some one else said that file is way too big for a object to be placed in the game, it will slow the game right down.

Still I will look into why the mesh tool gives a error.

edit:
I`ve looked and not only is it one big file ...22,000 + vertices

but it looks messed up , it says poser 3.0 created it , but I don`t know what it`s trying to do. The faces just don`t look right at all...this is a few lines of faces from that file. (they shouldn`t look like this)

f 4200/-185339150/4200 3992/1/3992 4201/1/4201

f 4200/-185339150/4200 4283/1/4283 4282/1/4282

f 4200/-185339150/4200 4201/1/4201 4283/1/4283

f 4200/-185339150/4200 4282/1/4282 4199/1/4199

f 3992/-185339150/3992 4199/1/4199 3991/1/3991

f 3992/-185339150/3992 3777/1/3777 4201/1/4201
Test Subject
#95 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 11:01 PM Last edited by Paper : 30th Jan 2005 at 11:04 PM.
Paper,

If you use the wizard feature to import a object, then that object will no longer be animated (we are currently working on allowing the animations to still work).

Untill that time, if you want the animations to work on a object you need to treat it as a modified existing object and not use the "new object wizard" part of the tool.

Ok, I redid the object from scratch and the animations of the toilet seat going up still isn't there. It might actually have something to do with Blender, or the fact that the toilet seat doesn't actually go up or something. I'll analyze the old toilet too and see if the seat goes up, but I think it might.

Oh well, until it gets fixed I'll have to deal with objects that doesn't have any animations such as decorative. Either that, or don't mess with toilets again.

On the Wizard text not being able to be read, I switched to silver and got the same problem. Just thought you might have wanted to know that it's just not their computer.
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 11:21 PM
This is normaly a problem with the shape entries, not linking the meshes to the MATD files, recheck this part of your package (and re go through the tutorial)

Thats probably what I did wrong cause that part of the tutorial was really hard to understand. I wasn't sure what to put where.

"Studies show that 60% of the time, it works every time."
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 11:59 PM
I've extracted- the afbodyCop file to 5gd and exported the .obj-- I changed the dimensions of certain areas of the mesh in milkshape--saved it. loaded it in the mesh tool and opened the 5gd file as in step 2 then saved it. then I replaced the orig in the package file that i extracted from. the mesh tool did not change the orig mesh to the one I modified. Did I miss something?
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#98 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 12:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by landoman
I've extracted- the afbodyCop file to 5gd and exported the .obj-- I changed the dimensions of certain areas of the mesh in milkshape--saved it. loaded it in the mesh tool and opened the 5gd file as in step 2 then saved it. then I replaced the orig in the package file that i extracted from. the mesh tool did not change the orig mesh to the one I modified. Did I miss something?

the thing you should check first is did milkshake change the names of the mesh (normally it only does this if the name has more than 32 characters in, nbut I guess it could still have done it. As when modifing a existing object, the mesh tool matches the parts from the obj file to the parts in the gmdc file (.5gd) , so if a mesh in the obj file doesn`t match the name of one of the objects in the gmdc file then it ignores that new mesh.

Other than that I don`t know, what options did you have checked ?

when you load in the obj file go to the 3d view (under the file menu) and see if the object was loaded (if you didn`t create material with texture maps when you imported it into your 3d program, then it will appear untextured in the 3d view)

if it`s showing up in there then it`s likely to be a name not matching problem (or you had all the check boxes in the options part unchecked)
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 12:21 AM Last edited by landoman : 31st Jan 2005 at 1:17 AM.
It shows in the 3d view. So I should name the obj file body? I have all the box's checked. I used the wavepoint imp in milkshape---and exported wavepoint. Should I weld vertice while in milkshape--Maybe number of vertice is the key?
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 12:28 AM
Default HELP - Wizard's colors are messed up!
Hi - It seems that the Object Wizard's colors are messed up. Is anyone else experiencing this? When I go to the Wizard, the backround is black, so I can't read what it says. I know that I could just go through the tutorial to find out, but it is really annoying. How can I fix this?

Thanks!
Screenshots

Want the best browser?!?! Get Firefox.

- FIREFOX -

- The safest, fastest, best browser out there -

Locked thread
Page 4 of 20