Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 3:16 AM
Default Favorite Running Gags
A lot of tv shows, movies, and books have running gags. What are your favorites?

Here are mine:

-Reba (show)
Barbara Jean's beanie babies.
Also Barbara Jean's implied wild past.

-Pirates of the Caribbean (movies series)
The man who is always impressed when Jack Sparrow pulls a crazy stunt. I don't remember his name, but he's the one who says, "That's got to be the best pirate I've ever seen."

-Girl Meets World (show)
Corey chasing Lucas out of Riley's room.
Minkus and Topanga's A feud.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 3:54 AM
The one that really comes to mind right now is Kenny dying on South Park. The giant chicken Peter always gets into a fight with on Family Guy is another one that comes to mind. Can we include video games as well? Because the Biggs and Wedge characters in most of the Final Fantasy games would be another one I can think of, sure they're not meant to be the same characters in each game but it's the names that are the running gag.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 4:57 AM
I just thought of two more.

Dory always saying a wrong and different name for Nemo.

Deadpool forgetting his ammo/guns.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 8:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leo06girl
The man who is always impressed when Jack Sparrow...
You'll be meaning Captain Jack Sparrow?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 4:15 AM
-The Big Bang Theory
*Howard's screamed conversations with his mother.
*Sheldon's Green Lantern shirts (the colors and symbols in the Green Lantern universe denote an emotion. This indicates his mood.)

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 9:15 PM
In the Fairly Odd Parents, whenever Timmy's parents ask him where he got something (which was a wish granted by his fairies) and he replies, "Internet."
Scholar
#7 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 9:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leo06girl
In the Fairly Odd Parents, whenever Timmy's parents ask him where he got something (which was a wish granted by his fairies) and he replies, "Internet."
Oh man I miss that show! I used to watch that show all the time but haven't seen it in so long. Not sure how his parents could believe that he got some of that stuff on the internet, but oh well that just made it funny. Timmy's dad always saying "Dinkleberg" whenever he saw the neighbors was kind of a running gag too, or Crocker's obsession with shouting "F!" or just giving out an F grade all the time.
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Jun 2016 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by haywud
Oh man I miss that show! I used to watch that show all the time but haven't seen it in so long. Not sure how his parents could believe that he got some of that stuff on the internet, but oh well that just made it funny. Timmy's dad always saying "Dinkleberg" whenever he saw the neighbors was kind of a running gag too, or Crocker's obsession with shouting "F!" or just giving out an F grade all the time.

Those are good ones too! I am 28 and not ashamed to say I have my DVR set to record all episodes.
Scholar
#9 Old 7th Jun 2016 at 11:34 PM
Hey I'm 33 (or will be in about a week) and I still don't mind watching those old cartoons every now and then. So what if they're meant for kids, just cause it's family friendly doesn't mean adults can't enjoy. Yeah I'll watch more mature things like say South Park or Family Guy for example, but I'll still watch Spongebob and some of the shows I grew up with as a kid. I miss Rocko's Modern Life, man I loved that show! That triggers another running gag, Filburt always saying "I'm nauseous" in Rocko's Modern Life.
Theorist
#10 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 3:41 AM
The running gag in that 70's show is they just get high around a swiveling camera and the pot jokes are as unfunny as ten seasons of friends, but like friends, they use recognizable tracks of laughing people who are probably now old, much like david schwimmer's unshaven cro-magnon face. He should star as a caveman in a movie that opens a time gate to 1979 pasadena where he meets barbara streisand and nine months later she gives birth to simon helberg. One day simon will accidentally view a lousy television show called friends and a severe overload of not funny sends him into a deep coma where he believes he's an astronaut and is dating bernadette rottenkowski. With the help of knight fowler and princess rottenkowski, they can destroy the time gate and schwimmer's face will cease to be, proving that there is a god. Then simon will suddenly find himself in wisconsin sitting with strangers at a table with a swiveling camera. The only caveman there would be danny masterson, but it's okay because he has since worked it into a lumberjack thing.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 3:46 AM
This is from the British tv show Misfits. Okay, so the gag is the gang always killing their probation worker. Sounds morbid, I know but it's played for laughs (mostly).
Scholar
#12 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 8:19 PM
Steeeeve CARLsberg from Welcome to Night Vale. For many of the episodes he's Cecil's (and I guess our?) least favourite person.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by haywud
Can we include video games as well? Because the Biggs and Wedge characters in most of the Final Fantasy games would be another one I can think of, sure they're not meant to be the same characters in each game but it's the names that are the running gag.

This is reminiscent to the Griswold children in the National Lampoon's Vacation films. The actors change between film so the funny part is the father (Chevy Chase) not noticing it.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)