Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Dec 2014 at 6:27 AM Last edited by TheOriginalFive : 8th Dec 2014 at 6:25 AM. Reason: TL, DR at the bottom.
Default Abandoned characters you wish had a second chance.
Fiction is full of all sorts of characters, but not every one gets a chance to shine cause people end up snubbing them.

I'll start with an obscure character I gradually got fond of while her creators ignored her. Most of you know my trademark brown-haired sim Francesca. She's supposed to be an alternate version of Demolicious, a superhero from an indie game company. In the original game, Demolicious was brassy and rude to strangers, this standoffish attitude cost her the chance to protect the city's most powerful artifact, the Heart of Pandora. She had to fight a suave supervillain, Luigi daVinci, in order to defend the artifact. She lost by a landslide, and Luigi played up the villain card by laughing at her, then convincing almost everyone that she wanted to misuse the Heart for herself.

That's because Demo's intentions weren't pure, she actually wanted to sell the heart on the black market in order to pay for her dad's treatment. The problem is, the admins never mentioned what her dad was ill from and never continued Demo's or the Heart's story. The Heart of Pandora's tale was on hold in late 2011, and players gave up hope of ever seeing it continued after months went by.

The reason why I got fond of Demo/Francesca is simple: We're both loners and behave standoffishly even though we "should've known better." As for Luigi, I just liked the concept of a man so suave, he could convince anyone to swallow the most ridiculous idea possible as truth. Unless you're mature enough to realize that being a villain's groupie might not always be a good idea.

Fast forward to 2014: HeroSmash's Heart story is still on hold, and every time I ask the admins whether they considered reusing the concept of Demolicious or daVinci in another project or a minigame, they always ignore the question or think I'm talking about the bobblehead art style. I essentially hijacked Demolicious as my character as the admins really just don't care about her, but I won't use her in works-for-profit due to copyrights and all that.

Short version: Have you ever liked characters that were utterly ignored by their creators? In your case, why?

Avatar model: Shi Gaik Lan / Atroxia "Jade Orchid" Lion (Source: Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires).
The Four Stars (Table of Content)
Mekageddon, the Interactive Story. (Remake Discussion) (Dev Tumblr)
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Dec 2014 at 9:13 AM
Well, reusing/hijacking characters is cathartic, you know that at least in your mind, the character isn't completely neglected. What irks me however is how the original creators just don't want to acknowledge the potential Demolicious had. Even if her original game was a "flop", she could have been part of their later mobile projects or something. But nooo, they'd rather focus on their medieval pantomime. I wish them luck with that if their pantomime blows up.

I did abandon a fan character of mine once, but I brought her back with a polished concept, because when I thought about it, messing up her roleplay as an amateur is no excuse for discarding her. The character in question is a Victorian-era pirate catgirl who is currently a timetraveler. The only thing constant between the badly-portrayed and the revived versions is that she's an illegitimate child with a weird name.

Avatar model: Shi Gaik Lan / Atroxia "Jade Orchid" Lion (Source: Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Dec 2014 at 1:58 PM
True, the admins didn't really promote it in its heyday either.

Scholar
#7 Old 7th Dec 2014 at 4:31 PM
Can someone post a TL;DR?

"It's said war - war never changes. Men do, through the roads they walk. And this road - has reached its end" - Ulysses, Fallout New Vegas
If you love Fallout and literacy, you'll ABSOLUTELY love my roleplay group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/127063690973781/
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th Dec 2014 at 6:13 AM Last edited by TheOriginalFive : 8th Dec 2014 at 6:26 AM.
Short version: Do you happen to like characters that were ignored by their creators?

Kaiko, I actually heard of HeroSmash when the admins promoted it briefly in one of their other online games. So it wasn't a case of finding something unrelated.

Theorist
#9 Old 8th Dec 2014 at 4:00 PM
Never played Herosmash before. Does Herosmash force you to work in teams and then get kicked out and verbally abused for not doing whatever you're supposed to do with your team? Or is it exactly like a single player game, except that it is a mmorpg?

On Topic:
M'aiq The Liar from Skyrim. I always wanted M'aiq to turn into this insidious figure like Grima Wormtongue. First he would be an advisor to a powerful figure, but then social wizard his way up and up to a very high and very powerful but clandestine position. He negotiates undisclosed transactions where the currency is information, and he gets his access to everything he wants to meddle in through his network of spies. The spies are small birds, bats, cats with wings, whatever, but through them he can indirectly manipulate ( for example ) the kinds of cows available to breeders to use to improve their milk to get better cheese for higher prices, what ships can dock and when and where and whether or not port authority should be advised to let them through, labeling practices on whether or not certain goods are stored here or there. Pretty much M'aiq can pick winners and losers at different levels, housing, special committees if any, legislation, trade deals, etc. And few people would know from whence his decisions are made because he can get his hands into the decisions set in the backlog for Jarls and Kings that don't have time for them, and because nobody has a full picture of the structure of authority from top to bottom save for the highest.

So eventually the Emperor's staff and representatives of other nations are not fully aware of directions coming down from somewhere else, but they need the dragonborn to root out the problem. Btw, this is all assuming that the systems of authority in tes are all confusing messes because otherwise this doesn't make much sense. Anyway, when M'aiq becomes this power drunk madman whose got the empire and bordering nations nearly hostile and people everywhere are in suspicion of corruption in their governments. Streets are becoming very angry as food distributions are disrupted. And that's where the Dragonborn has to find out whose of top of this and why. And so it turns out that atrocities on both sides, Empire and Stormcloak, were engineered by M'aiq. And then nine dragons all descend on wherever the final battle is and chaos erupts because friend and enemy is unclear.

So, that's what I always wanted, for M'aiq the Liar to be the Skyrim Shadowbroker who causes x number of nations to duke it out in and around Solitude and also nine dragons on top of it. And Solitude gets demolished, Windhelm and Whiterun having been driven into full revolt beforehand.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Dec 2014 at 2:34 AM
HeroSmash is more of a "You can play alone" MMORPG, although you do have two factions to choose from. You're not tied to either faction, you're essentially a mercenary who can be good or evil, not both. At the moment, almost all the players are blindly villain groupies.

That's an interesting take on M'aiq, yet Bethesda seems content to leave him as a joke spouting continuity nods from old games.