Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 3:25 AM
Default changing name, description, or room and function flags in s3oc
Since it is not reasonable to require people to put their names in either the Catalog Name or Description I decided to do it for them in my own game. This has the apparent effect of slowing the game way down and making all animations look choppy. It doesn't make sense to me that it should do that.

Here is what I did:

1. Placed package to be worked with on my desktop
2. Opened package with S3OC 3. Unchecked "Renumber/rename internally" so as not to create a new unique object.
4. Added creator's name to Catalog Name IE: Simple Widget by John Doe
5. Clicked start
6. Placed package in Packages folder.

This seemed to work fine for a few objects. Then the game began to slow down. I assumed it was just one package. So I started removing the last packages that were modified. After removing about ten of them, and not having problem solved, I decided to remove all but the first packages that seemed to work OK. That didn't fix the the problem. Not logical! That should have worked. So then I took out all the modified packages. That fixed the problem. I tried putting the very first package back in and the problem was there again. So I thought maybe I needed to clear the cache files. I emptied the cache files, all of them and tried again, no luck. Is there something I should or shouldn't be doing?

I have had a similar problem with changing room and function flags. I started changing sort for some great content from a couple of Spanish sites. Things seemed to work at first and then again. Is there some secret trick to this?

Just a note I did all my work in the empty neighborhood that I use for testing. There is only 1 house that I am currently working on.

Any help would be much appreciated. :lovestruc

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 9:27 AM
What version of s3oc?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 6:18 PM Last edited by Winterhart : 20th Mar 2010 at 6:23 PM. Reason: add comment
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
What version of s3oc?
The one that was reverted December 13th I think, 1003-06-2138. I am still having a problem this morning even though, I am pretty sure that I got all the altered packages out of the game. I'm going to take all the custom content out and put it back 1 by 1 until I find problem.

Thank you for your time. :lovestruc

Edit:

I am downloading Process Monitor and I will get back to you asap if that finds the problem. :lovestruc

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 6:52 PM
Oh... these packages you are working on - did you try them in your game before trying to work on them? It may be they already had the bluelot/slowdown glitch before you got them. Try taking them all through dashboard.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 9:33 PM Last edited by Winterhart : 21st Mar 2010 at 2:49 AM. Reason: update info
I took them through Dashboard. I can't get Process Monitor to read the files. For right now I've gone back to Winterhart's Process (of elimination). I going to take a break to regain my patience. :lovestruc

UPDATE

I finally got Process Monitor working. I love this little tool. I found 2 files with huge the were each running over a million times apiece. I don't remember if had tried to change flags on 1, but I know that I didn't do anything to the other. I obviously deleted them. I am going to try my name adding, flag changing project again.

I'll come back and update this one way or the other.

Thank you for your help. :lovestruc