Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 5:56 PM
Default Trying to solve the hydrophobia issue
The thing where the sims get in the pool and start to panic and look around after a few minutes, well it's been annoying me since day one. I mentioned this on another thread and someone mentioned the hydrophobia trait. I have looked at all the files I could on Pool, Swimming, whatever I could find that would tell me something, to no avail.

I had a look at everything to do with traits.

I'm really hoping someone who is better at this than me will pick up on this.

Now all of the traits are listed in both these files. TraitTuning and TraitTipsManager.

Except Hydrophobia. That trait has no mention in TraitTuning, it only says this in TraitTipsManager

<kHydrophobicCountOfSwimsInPool value="1">
<!--Hydrophobic trait tip. Total number sims in a pool. Positive Int. Initial Design default: 1-->
</kHydrophobicCountOfSwimsInPool>

Should hydrophobia be mentioned in both like all the others. Please excuse me being stupid perhaps, but if it isn't mentioned could that be why this trait seems to be used by all the sims?
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 6:04 PM
It saying 1 sim in the pool for that trait is what makes me suspect that trait may occur even without you giving your sim that trait in CAS. Since the only time I have had a sim panic while swimming in the pool is when he was swimming all by himself in his own pool. He lives alone. The other sims that I've created that went swimming in a pool, whether their own or the community pool, never panicked and they weren't alone when they went swimming.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 8:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bluegenjutsu
It saying 1 sim in the pool for that trait is what makes me suspect that trait may occur even without you giving your sim that trait in CAS. Since the only time I have had a sim panic while swimming in the pool is when he was swimming all by himself in his own pool. He lives alone. The other sims that I've created that went swimming in a pool, whether their own or the community pool, never panicked and they weren't alone when they went swimming.

This would make sense. I had a hydrophobic sim and she was fine when she could see her friend in the room but the moment he left she began to panic.

The voices in my head say you're the weird one.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 8:31 PM
bluegenjutsu, then the trait would show up. There would be no sense in them all being given it, it has to be a code error somewhere.

I did try to create a new thread for this but the conversation has still gone on over ont he other one, there is much more info over there if anyone is interested in digging into this.

I'm hoping maybe one of the admin could lock this thread to keep it all in one place. I did try to get them all to the same place away from the indie mod thread.

Here's where the discussion is, it seems to be bothering a few people

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=357983
Eminence Grise
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 8:59 PM
Other thread locked I agree this is the more appropriate forum for the discussion.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:21 PM
oh dear, I need to do a link to here, I wanted the other left open as I'm trying to get lemmy to do it as part of the indie stone mod and most of the discussion is over there.

Oh but then I can't go and do a link over there, you locked it. The people who have been discussing it might not find this and we are trying to work this out.

If you really want the thread to be over here rather than on the indie mod section, can you please put a link to here for the others. I would still like Lemmy to see all this and maybe join in the discussion.
Test Subject
#7 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:33 PM
When I first saw the thread title here I said
"WHOA! Your Sims have RABIES?!"

then I read and noticed the slight semantic error.

Hydrophobia = Rabies

Aquaphobia = Fear of water

You might try searching for Aquaphobia instead of rabies don't know if it will do any good or not
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:38 PM
@darkorical: Hydrophobia isn't equal to rabies, it's a symptom. Hydrophobia merely means "fear of water" (though that might more properly be "fear of moisture", my Greek isn't all that hot).
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by darkorical
When I first saw the thread title here I said
"WHOA! Your Sims have RABIES?!"

then I read and noticed the slight semantic error.

Hydrophobia = Rabies

Aquaphobia = Fear of water

You might try searching for Aquaphobia instead of rabies don't know if it will do any good or not

Hydrophobia is a sign you have rabies, in the old west in the states they called it hydrophobee, lol. It means the same thing. Although being hydrophobic doesn't mean you have rabies, you will become hydrophobic by contracting rabies.

The reality is that people with rabies are afraid to drink water, or fluid, it hurts or something.

I didn't pick the name for the trait, it's in the game. I've never actually heard of aquaphobia but I'm sure it's the same thing
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#10 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:54 PM
Actually, you're both right:

Dictionary: hy·dro·pho·bi·a (hī'drə-fō'bē-ə)
n.
1. An abnormal fear of water.
2. Rabies.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 10:10 PM
fluttereyes: You're on the wrong track as concerns the TraitTipsManager. The only thing TraitTipsManager does is the following: Those extra graphics that come up only one time on a new sim up in the right corner of the screen? Like if your sim is a virtuoso, after you play the guitar once or twice, it pops up "You are a virtuoso and will learn the guitar skill faster than other sims blah blah." Those graphics are the trait tips. This TTManager determines when the pop-up will show up, nothing else.

The swimming and thought bubble part: When sims get that thought bubble, what does it mean exactly? I don't remember it myself; is it possible to move the mouse over it and get a description? Is it for example "Freak Out", or something else?

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 12:06 AM
no, they don't get a thought bubble. You know I should video it happening and get it on youtube. It seems it's happening to 99% of people, only a couple haven't seen this.

What happens is (I had this on the other thread but it was closed). They get in the pool, swim a few feet, then they start to look around and panic, then they swim again, and so on. These are athletic sims, one of them is brave too and beats up burglars, in fact two of them are brave sims. All good traits.

It's horrible, there has to be a bork there as I would only expect hydrophobics to be afraid in the pool like that. I love my sims to use the pool and in sims 2 I even got them to play that stupid game marco Polo, even though I have no clue what it's about.

I don't know if I can put a link to you tube in here but if I can't I can put the video on my own wee empty site for you to see. This would be a great fix if someone could do it. I don't mind doing the hard work if someone figures it out. If someone does fix it I'll be so grateful and so will a few other folk.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 12:35 AM
Okay, I know what you're talking about, I don't need to see it on video. I 've seen the same thing too, but not all the time. I remembered it as being with a thought bubble. It's been a while since I've seen any sims swimming, I've been more or less avoiding it as someone else mentioned.

My opinion on the actual action that's happening is that the sims are treading water, staying in one place, pausing if you were, INSTEAD of actively swimming at that moment when the panic thing occurs. Do you agree with this?

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Inventor
#14 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 12:41 AM
My sim was swimming and then he stopped and had the panic attack and then started swimming again but there were no thought bubbles about it. He just looked around and his face looked frightened. I got him out of the pool quickly so he wouldn't panic again and maybe end up drowning. After this incident, when he would be walking around his house, I would see thought bubbles of the swimming pool. Don't know if it was because of the incident or because he actually wanted to go swimming again, though.

Also wanted to add since I just remembered it, he also made a frightened sound when he was panicking, that is what got my attention.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 1:10 AM
yeah it's the sound that gets me. it isn't just that they are treading water. They look around as if in a panic and make this sound like they're really scared. I did video it but the sound didn't work, no idea why. I've done lots of youtube videos and the sound's usually fine. I'll try again tomorrow or something.

They do just stop and tread water, but this isn't what we're on about. I'm so annoyed as I had all five of them doing it tonight. it happens to me all the time, every time they swim.

Watch your sim swimming and listen, see if it happens.
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 1:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Snaitf
Actually, you're both right:

Dictionary: hy·dro·pho·bi·a (hī'drə-fō'bē-&#601
n.
1. An abnormal fear of water.
2. Rabies.

Yes, but there isnt an aquaphobic trait in the game
Test Subject
#17 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 1:20 AM
For some reason all of my sims do this. I do see thought bubbles sometimes that look like a drowning sim. If you listen to them they are panicking and looking around (like for the ladder). It is disheartening to listen to them constantly do this. With no hot tub to enjoy...I have pool parties but now I don't want to hear them swimming lol..
Field Researcher
#18 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 4:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
Yes, but there isnt an aquaphobic trait in the game

...because EA fails at naming their phobias. If you fear water shouldn't you fear baths too? The trait should really just be called "Scared of Swimming" because that's all it does.
Eminence Grise
#19 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 4:38 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 24th Jul 2009 at 6:59 AM.
Since -phobos is a Greek root, it is technically improper to use a Latin prefix with it. Aqua is Latin for water, hydros is Greek. So "hydrophobia" is correct, and "aquaphobia" is an unholy crosslinugisitc hybrid

And yes, I realize this information is useless from a modding perspective. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents to prove I can out-pedant the most pedantic

BTW, I learned recently from Tiger (who is deconstructing the animation files) that there is another characteristic of hydrophobic sims: they do, in fact, bathe differently, in that different animations play when they're bathing. Hydrophobic sims will wash their arms and legs, but they won't submerge themselves or play with the rubber ducky.
Inventor
#20 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 6:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
BTW, I learned recently from Tiger (who is deconstructing the animation files) that there is another characteristic of hydrophobic sims: they do, in fact, bathe differently, in that different animations play when they're bathing. Hydrophobic sims will wash their arms and legs, but they won't submerge themselves or play with the rubber ducky.

Which is why it's so strange to me, why EA would make their sims afraid of swimming when it's only supposed to be the ones with the hydrophobia trait that would have that fear. My sim dives under the bath water and holds his breath. So it's not like he's got the total fear of water. It just doesn't make sense for EA to miss something like this in their programming of the sims for Sims 3.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 8:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bluegenjutsu
It just doesn't make sense for EA to miss something like this in their programming of the sims for Sims 3.

Hmm...actually it would make perfect sense that they missed it, IMO. I say this because I've seen one other major error in their programming concerning the fact that townie sims will almost never visit the active player's house autonomously, except for the welcome wagon sims who appear one time when you first move into a 'hood. It's easy for me to determine that the actual intention was that townies would autonomously come visiting just like in Sims1 and Sims2, approximately on average one per day. They don't do this because the programming was screwed.

Concerning the Hydrophobia trait: IF they have not typed into the code somewhere, (for example if it's supposed to be in TraitTuning, which it isn't) specific descriptions along the lines of "The Hydrophobic sim will become afraid of drowning while swimming X value per minutes swimming (Range: 1-10)", then the application of the Hydro trait characteristics to a Hydro sim could be borked completely; if some specific description is missing, is what I'm saying, if they forgot to put it in there.

I don't know what would happen to the trait in-game then, but it may be possible that if some description similar to my example above is missing while the trait is still in the game affecting sims, the trait characteristics are let loose on all sims to just pop up whenever it wants, randomly.

Lab Assistant
#22 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 8:45 AM
That all seems like wild speculation. None of my sims are afraid of swimming. I go to pool lots and everyone dives in no problem. I call voodoo.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 11:02 AM
Here's not wild speculation....

Hydrophobic sims WILL swim frantically about 10% of the time rather than treading water. So will Insane sims, so if your sim isn't Hydrophobic but they are insane, it has the same effect on swimming.

I think neurotic sims are supposed to also splash around frantically as the jazz script in question takes that as a parameter but never uses it, instead it checks for insane twice (Which has no effect the second time).
Mad Poster
#24 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 3:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TigerM
I think neurotic sims are supposed to also splash around frantically as the jazz script in question takes that as a parameter but never uses it, instead it checks for insane twice (Which has no effect the second time).

In TraitTuning appears the following parameter:

"Range: Positive floats under 1.0f. Description: Chance that a Neurotic Sim will get an anxiety buff after using a fireplace, sink, or stove. 0.1"

The 'anxiety buff' described above for the Neurotic sim is the same anxiety attack normal sims are getting while swimming? Or is it something else?

Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 4:40 PM
Tiger, the issue here is that none of my sims have any traits associated with panicking of any kind. Lie actually, the little girl is neurotic and she checks the stove and sink all the time. But they all do this animation of panicking in the pool. Her actions in the pool are no diffeent to the rest.

I'm going with Shimrod's point of view as I share it. There is some code missing in the game to apply this animation to just the sims that should have it. Now we have to work out where it should be and see if we can come up with a fix to it among us, lol.

I'm sure it's to do with missing code somewhere. It is also more than likely to do with hydrophobia.

Leneyur, this affects me too. I hate the noise they make, it spoilts the enjoyment of the game. I don't want to see anyone distressed, even pixel people.
Page 1 of 3