Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th May 2018 at 2:19 PM
Default How to fix the too many triangles in mesh?
I edited an EA mesh in Blender,sculpted it here and there and triangled it in Blender then imported it to Milkshape because I couldn't find a working gmdc for importer and exporter as it's still in the beta stage but when I imported it to Milkshape and saw all those triangles in the mesh that I don't know how to fix. Do I have to start over again or is there a way to fix it?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th May 2018 at 3:45 PM
Well, under Tools, you'd have the Directx Mesh tool, which would let you move the slider to make it less high poly...but is this a sims 2 hair mesh?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 7th May 2018 at 7:53 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th May 2018 at 9:57 PM.
Milkshape only uses triangular faces instead of square polys. All meshes exported to/from Milkshape will have triangular faces (so technically you don't have to triangulate the mesh before importing to Milkshape - only if you're exporting OBJs directly to SimPE, if you want to avoid errors)

To save yourself the work, it's a good idea to keep one Blender copy of the mesh with square faces, because it's easier to edit. If you want to reduce polycount on a mesh, you may want to do so in Blender, because the tools there are better at it than the MIlkshape tools.

Also, if that's a hair mesh, remember you most likely need the hair/scalp part as a separate group (to make it seamless with the face). All those polys won't agree with the face mesh...
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th May 2018 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Milkshape only uses triangular faces instead of square polys. All meshes exported to/from Milkshape will have triangular faces (so technically you don't have to triangulate the mesh before importing to MIlkshape - only if you're exporting directly to SimPE if you want to avoid errors)

To save yourself the work, it's a good idea to keep one Blender copy of the mesh with square faces, because it's easier to edit. If you want to reduce polycount on a mesh, you may want to do so in Blender, because the tools there are better at it than the MIlkshape tools.

Also, if that's a hair mesh, remember you most likely need the hair/scalp part as a separate group (to make it seamless with the face). All those polys won't agree with the face mesh...

The model looks fine in Blender. There aren't nearly as much triangles in the mesh in Blender then when I imported it to Milkshape. Besides that the biggest problem i'm having is trying to assign the bones to the mesh but the color is just stuck to that same yellow color compared to the properly assigned purple color in the original mesh. Could you explain the part about the making the hair and scalp as a separate group because i'm confused? The scalp is actually an EA hair mesh that i'm using as a reference for the edited version.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#5 Old 7th May 2018 at 10:06 PM
The easiest is to find a hair with an alpha texture included (two textures/mesh groups), extract the scalp for the age/gender you're creating for, and use that as the "hair" layer, and your hair as the "hair_alpha" layer (names may vary).

The "hair" layer overlays the skintone on the head, meaning anything that's white in the alpha texture shows as hair, anything black in the alpha shows as skin.

If you want your hair to be alpha-editable with invisible parts (hair strands, etc.) you need at least one more group in the mesh (most Maxis hairs have at least two, for front and back, because only one side of the mesh is visible ingame).

As for the poly issue - are you sure you used the right settings for the export? Make absolutely sure that you've applied modifiers (if you used one to give the mesh fewer polys or some such).