Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 12:39 PM
Default Enormous Export File - Any suggestions?
Hi... I'm at my wits end so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

Back last december (yes that's how long I've been wrestling with this) I made this lot...

... I'm rather proud of it. It uses a fair amount of CC granted, but I still think its my greatest build - EVER -

So I wanted to upload it here. Unfortunately, the file size is 33mb. Yep 33mb! Mods say no. Too big.

I've tried everything I can think of to reduce the file size.

I've used CUSTARD - There's no CC in the file. Wasn't even before Custard.
I've gone through the lot and stripped it bare so only the minimum furnishing and deco remain. Didn't make a dent.
I've tried exporting it without my mods folder in place - anything on the outside of the building (wall crenelations, pillars etc) turned to maxis defaults no matter if I'd saved in Edit Town or not.
I completely uninstalled and re-installed my game (and expansions) hoping to get rid of the crap.
I've put the lot file through SimPE and while at first I thought I had it figured out when I found loads of texture and image files that seemed to be from the CC, I recently looked at another lot I'd made (much smaller only 6mb) using SimPE and its all in that one too.

I'm hopelessly, desperately distraught now. Nine months of wrangling and I'm still no closer to getting this lot up on MTS.

Anyone know of anything that could help me out?

Jennie
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 1:32 PM
Can you stick the lot file on Dropbox or something so someone can take a look at it? There's got to be a reason for such a huge file! I'm sorry it's been such a pain in the ass for you... It looks gorgeous!

If it comes down to it, it is always possible to upload larger files here by using split archives, though more of a pain in the ass, certainly.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 1:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Can you stick the lot file on Dropbox or something so someone can take a look at it? There's got to be a reason for such a huge file! I'm sorry it's been such a pain in the ass for you... It looks gorgeous!

If it comes down to it, it is always possible to upload larger files here by using split archives, though more of a pain in the ass, certainly.

Strangely enough, my frustration just caused a little accident which may have just solved the problem! LOL. Isn't that just typical? Literally the minute I throw my toys out of the pram, give in and ask for help, something happens which solves the problem. *sigh* if this works I think i might actually explode.

I'm just testing my theory now.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 2:00 PM Last edited by Jenexell : 16th Sep 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Jenexell
Strangely enough, my frustration just caused a little accident which may have just solved the problem! LOL. Isn't that just typical? Literally the minute I throw my toys out of the pram, give in and ask for help, something happens which solves the problem. *sigh* if this works I think i might actually explode.

I'm just testing my theory now.

Nope. No go.

<Removed Drop Box Link >

Any help at all that can be given would be much appreciated, I have no idea what to do.
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 6:53 PM
The problem is the way you used S3OC wich is a confusing tool to properly clone objects.
All the objects are included with alot of textures that already part of the game files.(patterns, blanc overlays, the dropshadowatlas etc etc)
There is really no need to include them.

The correct way of cloning is:
Clone a object with S3OC as default replacement.
Open it with S3PE and delete all textures you dont need(wich are not going to be edited in any way.
Save it
Then reclone/renumber that same object with S3OC to give it its own IDnumbers.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
The problem is the way you used S3OC wich isn't a very friendly tool to properly clone objects.
All the objects are included with alot of textures that already part of the game files.
There is really no need to include them.

The correct way of cloning is:
Clone a object with S3OC as default replacement.
Open it with S3PE and delete all textures you dont need(wich are not going to be edited in any way.
Save it
Then reclone/renumber that same object with S3OC to give its own IDnumbers.

Ok.... this might make some sense to me if I made my own objects, but I don't. Most of what's on this lot is from here at MTS.
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 6:59 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 15th Sep 2013 at 7:15 PM.
Was afraid of that, most people just clone with S3OC without realizing how much carbage they upload'
Unfortunate there is nothing you can do about it as all those textures are renumbered/relinked.

If you look at the file as package it has huge ammount of duplicate files(dirt overlay and dropshadowatlas, i stopped counting, so many)
Those textures shouldn't be in there in the first place as all are part of the game files.
If people had clone their objects propely your file would be atleast 15 to 20 mb smaller

I can imagine MTS2 staff aint to happy about this either, they store tons of existing gametextures simply cos there aint a explanation on how to use S3OC to clone a object.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 7:13 PM
Was afraid of that, most people just clone with S3OC without realizing how much carbage they upload'
Unfortunate there is nothing you can do about it as all those textures are renumbered/relinked.

If you look at the file as package it has huge ammount of duplicate files(dirt overlay and dropshadowatlas, i stopped counting, so many)
Those files shouldn't be in there at all as they already are part of the game files.
If people had clone their objects propely your file would be atleast 15 to 20 mb smaller

I think I know exactly which objects are to blame too... been testing all day (every month or so I get a bee in my bonnet about this lot and go back to trying to find ways to sort it out) did some playing around with the mods folder, taking stuff out, leaving stuff in etc, exporting in various different combinations... and I have my culprits. if I take them out of the mods folder and export, the lot is small but they vanish completely or auto-replace (even when the mod folder is restored). If I leave them in, the lot is 33mb. I REALLY wanted them in there too. *sigh*.

Ah well... back to the drawing board. Gonna go looking for replacements. at least I know what I need to replace. might PM the object creators too.

Thanks for what you said. at least I know its nothing I've done, or that my game is whacked.
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 7:20 PM
Uhm, by default it is better to upload the lot without the cc and include a list(with links) of wat CC you used.
People then need to download those cc files as seperates in order for the lot to showup correct.

You can choose to create the lotpackage without CC right?
If people install that one along with the CC list it should showup the way you created it.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#10 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 7:26 PM
The issue here is not the cc objects. But the way EA packages lots in game. When packaging lots with cc in, it adds the txtr, objd, objk, mod, modl, ftpt; basically all the resources from those objects.

I don't have the cc you used in the lot to fully test. However...

Extract to package
Open in S3PE and delete all _IMG resources
Save
Repack into sims3pack

http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...php?topic=198.0

I think what keeps the cc linked to the lot is in the OJBD resource, but just removing the _IMG resources drops the sims3pack to ~5Mb.
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 7:34 PM
unfortunate all those resources were already part of the CC objects.
If EA packages a lot it wont renumber those textures will it?(they stay linked to the original game files?)
The file now includes multiple dirt overlays/dropshadowatlas textures all with diffrent instance numbers(result of cloning with s3OC)
Deleting those files will give errors on the objects(texture missing)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
The issue here is not the cc objects. But the way EA packages lots in game. When packaging lots with cc in, it adds the txtr, objd, objk, mod, modl, ftpt; basically all the resources from those objects.

I don't have the cc you used in the lot to fully test. However...

Extract to package
Open in S3PE and delete all _IMG resources
Save
Repack into sims3pack

http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...php?topic=198.0

I think what keeps the cc linked to the lot is in the OJBD resource, but just removing the _IMG resources drops the sims3pack to ~5Mb.

Unfortunately I have tried this before and it cacks up big time. It was one of the thing I tried after having a look at the file in simpe. It also doesn't seem to install right. in the launcher it comes up as an object rather than a lot.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 7:41 PM
Uhm, by default it is better to upload the lot without the cc and include a list(with links) of wat CC you used.
People then need to download those cc files as seperates in order for the lot to showup correct.

You can choose to create the lotpackage without CC right?
If people install that one along with the CC list it should showup the way you created it.

The CC isn't included. But the textures still are. The only way to stop those textures being included that I can work out is to not use the objects in the lot at all.
Sockpuppet
#14 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 7:59 PM
So if you delete all those textures from the package and place the package in your mods folder it doesn't showup correct?(with the CC installed ofcourse)
If so then HL is right and EA messes up, something i find hard to believe.(they dont include these textures in STORE objects either so why include them in a lot?)

If there is no other way you can do wat HP suggested, splitup the package and upload as seperate packages(instead of sims3pack)
dodgy builder
#15 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 9:00 PM
I made a massive castle lot and uploaded it for TSR included of cause sims3pack, it was massive. I know the size would be an issue though, so I kept an eye on it. I only used some items I felt I had to use and along the way I realized it would be too big at something like 70mb. It that house is as big as it looks the size might not be too bad.

I just feel like keeping things separate here. If you want to upload on MTS you have to make sure the items used are accepted here. They cannot be payfiles and not featured artist from TSR ... at least last time I checked. Then you should use package files, not sims3pack.

When I found out my castle wouldn't work with the policy I needed to comply with, what I did was to clean the hole thing with Custard, make a new sims game folder and install the totally clean thing there. You then end up with a possibly white crappy thing and probably have to do it all over again. Then I would make sure to use nothing but package file from then on. Then you will end up with a comparably really slim thing. It will be the downloader playing in the lot who has all the troubles, and they can even choose what they think is important.

I know it's a headache, but you already have one

This is some month ago, lots can happen in month in this game. What I found with my sims3pack was cleaning with Custard and then install in the same game didn't work. It looked like the things reinstalled, so I had to make a new game for it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I made a massive castle lot and uploaded it for TSR included of cause sims3pack, it was massive. I know the size would be an issue though, so I kept an eye on it. I only used some items I felt I had to use and along the way I realized it would be too big at something like 70mb. It that house is as big as it looks the size might not be too bad.

I just feel like keeping things separate here. If you want to upload on MTS you have to make sure the items used are accepted here. They cannot be payfiles and not featured artist from TSR ... at least last time I checked. Then you should use package files, not sims3pack.

When I found out my castle wouldn't work with the policy I needed to comply with, what I did was to clean the hole thing with Custard, make a new sims game folder and install the totally clean thing there. You then end up with a possibly white crappy thing and probably have to do it all over again. Then I would make sure to use nothing but package file from then on. Then you will end up with a comparably really slim thing. It will be the downloader playing in the lot who has all the troubles, and they can even choose what they think is important.

I know it's a headache, but you already have one

I'm a little confused by what yoiu've said here. There's nothing against policy with any of the CC I've used. Its all .package files from MTS. Its the textures embedded in these files which are causing the problem.
dodgy builder
#17 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 9:08 PM
I'm a little confused by what yoiu've said here. There's nothing against policy with any of the CC I've used. Its all .package files from MTS. Its the textures embedded in these files which are causing the problem.

I did notice you wrote that

It's just a suggestion, take it or leave it
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 9:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I did notice you wrote that

It's just a suggestion, take it or leave it

Right. Sorry. and thanks for the suggestion. I've gone with the 'not using the the stuff that bloats it' technique and got the file down to 15mb. *shrug* waiting on the mods atm to see if that's small enough.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#19 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 10:11 PM
I tried exactly what I wrote (removing the images and repacking) and it works. Of course for me I had oodles of random objects due to the cc I don't have. If I place the lot file in my Library, it shows in game. If I place the newly packed sims3pack and place it in the Downloads folder, it shows in the launcher and installs fine. The only issue was the launcher won't open by double clicking the sims3pack.
Sockpuppet
#20 Old 16th Sep 2013 at 12:40 AM
only problem is that whenever one of the creators of a cc file updates it your file will keep overwriting it
So have to remove all related files to the cc then instead of only the textures(rig, footprints, objds etc etc)
You really dont have a choice(ingame) of packing it without CC?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 16th Sep 2013 at 10:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
I tried exactly what I wrote (removing the images and repacking) and it works. Of course for me I had oodles of random objects due to the cc I don't have. If I place the lot file in my Library, it shows in game. If I place the newly packed sims3pack and place it in the Downloads folder, it shows in the launcher and installs fine. The only issue was the launcher won't open by double clicking the sims3pack.

OK so I gave this another try. Three tries in fact.

The first gacked - crashed the launcher every time I tried to install it.

The second worked but lost the lot name and info when installed in the game.

The third worked, but installed through the launcher as an object. It still works as a lot in game, but appears in the launcher under installed content as an object rather than a lot.

Any who. The third is down to 4mb.

So technically the process does work, but its hit and miss as to how well the result performs.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 16th Sep 2013 at 10:16 AM
only problem is that whenever one of the creators of a cc file updates it your file will keep overwriting it
So have to remove all related files to the cc then instead of only the textures(rig, footprints, objds etc etc)
You really dont have a choice(ingame) of packing it without CC?

If mean, is there no little tick box to click then - not as far as I know!!! If you mean about what I'm using the in the lot... I've stripped it down or replaced as much as I can, but even so it comes out at 12mb. With the SimPE method I've got it down 4mb.

No word from the mods about whether 12mb is small enough. I'm concerned about uploading my 4mb lot here without knowing how it will work on someone else's comp with some, all or none of the cc installed.

Looks like its a case of playing the waiting game for now.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 6:55 PM
If mean, is there no little tick box to click then - not as far as I know!!! If you mean about what I'm using the in the lot... I've stripped it down or replaced as much as I can, but even so it comes out at 12mb. With the SimPE method I've got it down 4mb.

No word from the mods about whether 12mb is small enough. I'm concerned about uploading my 4mb lot here without knowing how it will work on someone else's comp with some, all or none of the cc installed.

Looks like its a case of playing the waiting game for now.

Well I have my answer. thank you everyone for all your help. Now on to uploading! WOOP! FINALLY!!!!!