Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2019 at 7:35 PM Last edited by alector : 2nd Jun 2019 at 10:34 PM.
Default Game freezes but doesn't crash (?)
I have just installed Sims 3 for the first time (and the world adventures) and the game freezes about 5 min after starting to play. Game doesn't really crash as in it doesn't shut down or give me an error message. The game just freezes while cursor and windows are still running normally. I have tried to fix everything related to the graphics cards and it doesn't seem to have a problem with it? I put DeviceConfig here just in case. I have limited the fps but that didn't seem to help. While the game actually functions it doesn't seem to have any performance issues even though i put the settings high. It just freezes out of the blue. I would be really grateful for any advice!
Attached files:
File Type: txt  DeviceConfig.txt (5.2 KB, 16 downloads)
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 3rd Jun 2019 at 10:03 AM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2019 at 1:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KatyFernlily
https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/...nt-freezes.html

Thank you for the tip! However all of the reasons for freezing in those lists is due to something in gameplay or CC. I have no CC and I haven't had the change to play the game. I have just moved one family into a lot but that's it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Jun 2019 at 9:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Explain the freeze.

- Does it happen in normal speed
- Does the freeze freeze the whole game? Or does the birds still fly? Trees still move?
- You are running a clean game?

It is likely a driver issue, make sure your drivers are updated. Trying playing in windowed mode if you're playing full screen or vica versa.

Yes it happens in normal speed, any speed and in any mode.
Freeze as in absolutely nothing except for the cursor moves and the sound can be heard in the background. I have updated all my drivers and no other games has any such issues.
I'm running a clean game.
I have tried both full screen and windowed and it made no difference.

Thank you for trying to help me!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Jun 2019 at 12:02 PM
The game cursor still moves? Look over the water, etc... if you get a chance if that still moves. But usually if you can hear the sound and you can move your cursor, which also means you should be able to see birds fly, water waves, etc... it means the game froze, but not the GPU.

This can be difficult to identify, it may even be a corrupt game. You might want to try reinstalling.

Absolutely nothing moves as the game freezes except for the cursor, I checked the water. The sound stops after a moment. I have reinstalled the game many times but it hasn't helped so far. If the GPU is the problem do you have any advice how to proceed? Thank you so much!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Jun 2019 at 4:30 PM Last edited by alector : 5th Jun 2019 at 6:36 PM.
Oh? If that is the case, it looks like your GPU froze. The only advice I can give you is to try "older" drivers. I know that sounds different than what most people would say, but I know from experience I never update my drivers unless I have to. I have several times upgrade drivers only to find it damaged or broke something. The last time I upgraded my Nvidia driver, Starcraft 2 just freezes on load screen, so I reverted it back and stayed on the old driver.

Also, you can test this by running TS3 on your Intel HD instead of Nvidia. Right click on the TS3 icon and choose "run with graphics processor" and choose Intel HD. If the game doesn't freeze, then we've verified it is your Nvidia.

I have tested with both Nvidia and Intel but the result is unfortunately the same. Other games like sims 2 and witcher 1 work fine but I don't know if that helps. I tried a bit older nvidia driver but it didn't help. I will try an even older one next. My laptop becomes very hot and the fan makes more noise while playing sims 3 and I notice that after the game freezes the fan calms down. Can the GPU overheat? I just got my computer cleaned from dust though. Thanks for your suggestions anyway!

//edit
I actually didn't try an older driver like I thought! The isn't an option to roll back on the drivers and on hp's site it doesn't have an option for my laptop and my windows version to download an older driver for nvidia. It says it would be risky to install a non spesific driver on my laptop so I guess I shouldn't try that? I will try an older version of Intel one next.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Jun 2019 at 9:24 AM
You have an HP? Hey, me too! Unfortunately, HP sucks when it comes to cooling. It is a common complaint. I strongly recommend you run GPU-Z to keep an eye on your GPU heat. Make sure you have FPS limited to 60. However, GPU overheat wouldn't freeze the game, it simply shut off the game or shut off your laptop.

Ok, I sincerely hope you read this before you try anything.

Absolutely DO NOT upgrade the Intel driver unless there is one from HP. Intel driver is customed for your system b/c of optimus. You cannot install any other kind of Intel HD driver, you risk damaging the optimus setup. Most likely it wouldn't even let you install a new driver, that's what happened on my system when I tried it.

However, you can very much install Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia website. I can only tell you what version I'm on, but bear in mind my laptop is from 2012. I'm on driver 352.86. Yeah, it is old, but it is the last stable version that worked for me. Any other update after that ruins my system.

But you mentioned the game also freezes when you run Intel HD? Then that... just puts everything back on the board.

Couple of things to try:
- If it might be GPU overheating, then simply play it on all the low setting to see if you can get past 5 mins of playing
- It is possible you have some program in the background which conflicts, such as antivirus, etc... try to disable or turn off as much program as possible before you play and see if it works.

Fortunately I didn't downgrade the Intel so my card is saved!

I think I have found the reason the game froze and it's because I made a really stupid mistake! I installed the game files on my D drive and because of my naming method the program game files and the other game files like game saves where mixed in the same folder! I don't know how I didn't realise this but now after reinstalling them in separate folders I was able to play without any freeze or lag at least an hour (I quit after that) so I assume that the problem is fixed. Thanks so much for trying to help me with this problem! At least I have learned so much more about graphic drivers and their settings.