Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#26 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 8:06 PM
But the mesh seems to be ok.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Miche
Thanks for trying them, according to the following (and other websites) there is a mel script for maya 4.5 which works with maya 6.0 , it`s just finding that script which seems to be the problem.
http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index....ource_with_MAYA

I´m sorry, i had no luck with all those Maya Plugs. I keep on searching...
Thanks much for your help
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#28 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 8:24 PM Last edited by Miche : 15th Feb 2005 at 8:39 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by fleabay
Here is something for all you kind people.

It contains Half-Life model info (and much more). Hopefully it will be of great use.

http://www.churchofmod.com/files/do...sOn3DModels.rar

Thanks,

I already know the internal format of the smd files as they are stated in the half life 1 and 2 sdk, which all programs really should stick to. the problem (other than some importers/exporters only supporter the half life 1 format) , is each program likes to make little changes to the way they write the files, like Softimage XSI will add 1 or 2 extra "root" bones to the front of the bone list, while the cannonfodder plugins for 3ds studio seem to add one to the end of the bone list.

So at the moment I`m just trying to find all these slight differences. Plus sometimes the programs seem to make changes the mesh and to the bones assignments.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#29 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 8:29 PM Last edited by Miche : 15th Feb 2005 at 8:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by psyckotic
But the mesh seems to be ok.

yeah I know it displays like that correctly , but when imported into a gmdc file, and seen in body shop the arms are animated wrong, which is normally a sign that somehow they (or the whole mesh) was inversed. Like last time it happened with some meshes, the y (or x) coordinates had their signed swaped (+ for those which should of been - and via versa.). I need to look at the file more closely though before I can say what is happening.

The other thing it seemed to do is if a weight for a bone assignment was 0.10 or less it would remove that assignment.(while leaving any assignments with weights above that)

can you test the mesh attached to this post , just so we can check it wasn`t something with the meshes I uploaded before.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  testbodymesh.zip (72.6 KB, 25 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#30 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 8:44 PM
ok i see like milkshape coords and 3dsmax coords problem with the old wes_s plugins so i ask him for the option...
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  test_bodymesh-3ds7.rar (42.3 KB, 26 downloads) - View custom content
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#31 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 9:10 PM Last edited by Miche : 15th Feb 2005 at 9:15 PM.
okay that last one seems to have worked fine, still need to test it some more but so far it looks like it is working.

so if you could post the setting on the importer and exporter you used, so other people can try them.

thanks
Field Researcher
#32 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 9:31 PM
Very easy...

With 3dsmax 7, i used importer and exporter from http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/cftools.htm

Finally i don't modify any options in import menu... but it waits for an unknown texture so you can uncheck prompt for missing texture.
Then export as reference frame, it tells you an experimental using, click ok.
:bump:
Test Subject
#33 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 11:01 PM
Miche, I just d/led the plugins and I'll have a look as well, (using 3DSMax 7) and I'll get back to ya.

Thanks for the link psyckotic
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 8:59 AM Last edited by fleabay : 16th Feb 2005 at 9:19 AM.
According to this...
http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news&id=364
...Maya model exporter was included in a Steam update.

Doesn't anyone have HL2???

Edit: I'm Emuling the HL2 SDK.

Test Subject
#35 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 9:41 AM
i got hl2 - downloading sdk now. ill post the exporter asap
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 10:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by l3th4l
i got hl2 - downloading sdk now. ill post the exporter asap

cool

Test Subject
#37 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 10:43 AM Last edited by l3th4l : 16th Feb 2005 at 10:49 AM.
mhh.. there's a whole bunch of files inside the folder 'maya' in the sdk.. i don't know much about how these plugins work so i just rared it all up
Attached files:
File Type: rar  maya.rar (286.0 KB, 44 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 10:55 AM
Well it says 4.5. At least its all scripts and not compiled code.

Now to figure out how to work it.

Thanks!
Test Subject
#39 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 11:17 AM
glad to help
Field Researcher
#40 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 12:07 PM
lol fleabay you change your avatar i prefer the elder.
Test Subject
#41 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 12:43 PM
This might be of use for all you max users out there..
Field Researcher
#42 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by l3th4l
This might be of use for all you max users out there..

yes we know, cannonfodders plugins work.
Test Subject
#43 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 5:02 PM
I can't seem to find an SMD exporter for Blender, but since i've seen you (Miche) saying something about one, maybe you could tell me where to find it.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#44 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vinther
I can't seem to find an SMD exporter for Blender, but since i've seen you (Miche) saying something about one, maybe you could tell me where to find it.

there is a smd exporter here: http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a...s=0&id=797573#9

I have seen other smd importers and exporters for blender around somewhere, just can`t find them right now. I`ll try to find them later and post the links.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by psyckotic
lol fleabay you change your avatar i prefer the elder.

I made the new one myself. I took a flash ad for smileycentral (don't ever install this BTW) and found a decompiler for swf files. Its like a little flash smiley toolkit. Converted it to an animated gif. I'm quite proud!

Test Subject
#46 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 8:01 AM
Thanks, but the link on that page isn't working. I've posted a comment telling the creator about this, and I hope he'll see it.

If he doesn't, I guess I'll have to learn the XSI Mod Tool. I have already tried it a little bit, but it feels like such a waste of time to learn a tool that is practically only of use to Half-Life 2, and now The Sims 2...

So, if you suddenly remember where you saw another importer/exporter for Blender, could you tell me?
Just don't go to too much trouble just for me, though... Promise?
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 8:23 AM
Is there anyway to get a consensus on Y or Z being up?

Wes's plugin uses one coord system and the mesh tool uses another. Is there anyway to tell which is correct from the games POV? Would MaxoidTom tell which one is prefered?

It makes using the tools in parallel a miserable experence.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#48 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 10:48 AM Last edited by Miche : 17th Feb 2005 at 10:58 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by fleabay
Is there anyway to get a consensus on Y or Z being up?

Wes's plugin uses one coord system and the mesh tool uses another. Is there anyway to tell which is correct from the games POV? Would MaxoidTom tell which one is prefered?

It makes using the tools in parallel a miserable experence.

The game treats Z as up, as does the mesh tool , also the smd format treats z as up.(as half life also treats z as up)
However when importing a smd file into milkshape and Softimage XSI (I don`t how other programs treat it) it will convert z to y , as they both treat y as up, (this is the reason Wes`s plug-ins treat y as up, because otherwise the body would be laying down.)

There isn`t really a simple solution as different 3d programs treat up as either z or y.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 10:53 AM
3dsmax treats z as up not like milkshape.
Lightwave too.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 9:53 PM
I think Maya can use either. Default is Y up.
Page 2 of 3